Recording with the td-30 and Td-50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording with the td-30 and Td-50

Just curious if any members have used their Roland modules to do serious recordings with. I seem to find a lot of people prefer vst and pearl mimic for recording purposes because it sounds more authentic. I have recorded some scratch drum tracks for friends using my Td-30 and they like it. Seems that vst anf Mimic are all the rage .

I have two YouTube educational video series’ coming. Stay tuned. Lots of work left to get it finished. Hoping to have it out in November or early December. I think everyone is gonna love it.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
      I have two YouTube educational video series’ coming. Stay tuned. Lots of work left to get it finished. Hoping to have it out in November or early December. I think everyone is gonna love it.
      Alan you are such a treasure trove of knowledge. Thank you so much for the comment and I really do look forward to those videos !!!

Comment

I have a td30 and would not use it for serious recordings. If the aim though is not realistic drums then it’s fine. All depends on what type of music you are wanting to record really to how much the deficiency’s will stand out. VSTIs are a huge step up in quality.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Beanster View Post
          Just curious if any members have used their Roland modules to do serious recordings with. I seem to find a lot of people prefer vst and pearl mimic for recording purposes because it sounds more authentic. I have recorded some scratch drum tracks for friends using my Td-30 and they like it. Seems that vst anf Mimic are all the rage .
          You have a a lot more control and realism with VST. You just record a MIDI track. You should do that anyway for the future even if you use the built in sounds.

Comment

I always thought the TD-30 sounded great. If you are maxing out the TD-50, using Vex packs like Generations, layering in great one shot samples from companies like Goldbaby and Wave Alchemy, using loops with mute groups, the MFX section, Ambience, EQ, transient designer and compression and incorporate the electronic elements it sounds fantastic. If you record from the main outs with all the goodies engaged. Especially if you use a tube front end to warm up the sound before hitting your digital interface. If you are using the USB outputs dry or individual outs dry with no juice from the module it sounds like crap.

Agreed, always record to MIDI then you have your choice of VST swapping or replaying the module and adjusting the mix in the box. I do not recommend triggering VST's there is no comparing playing a module and this is where yes, the Mimic is the way to go for VST quality audio and a magnificent triggering/playing experience, with total control over mic's and EQ and great sounding rooms and reverb. I still recommend recording the MIDI data and playing back your module and adjusting the mix from the module but that's imo. It gives you all the chutzpah from the module, you can record a stereo mix without 8-16 outputs of audio and swap out kits and sounds and adjust levels, compression, EQ etc. as you like and remix arguably just as fast as you would recording individual outs. Have the module permanently MIDI in and MIDI out with a good MIDI interface. The U3-88c is is a great MIDI interface powered by USB3.0 which is remarkably stronger in delivery and power management than USB2.0. Because of the USB 3.0, the Alyseum has extremely low latency and jitter allowing smooth workflow. And you won't have to worry about latency anyway as you will with VST triggering, because you monitor directly from the module and there is no a/d d/a roundtrip and conversion to wade through.

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
            This will be your best bet, I'm just offering my experience but Alan is the expert here.
            Last edited by Howstamychi; 10-10-19, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post

I always thought the TD-30 sounded great. If you are maxing out the TD-50, using Vex packs like Generations, layering in great one shot samples from companies like Goldbaby and Wave Alchemy, using loops with mute groups, the MFX section, Ambience, EQ, transient designer and compression and incorporate the electronic elements it sounds fantastic. If you record from the main outs with all the goodies engaged. Especially if you use a tube front end to warm up the sound before hitting your digital interface. If you are using the USB outputs dry or individual outs dry with no juice from the module it sounds like crap.

Agreed, always record to MIDI then you have your choice of VST swapping or replaying the module and adjusting the mix in the box. I do not recommend triggering VST's there is no comparing playing a module and this is where yes, the Mimic is the way to go for VST quality audio and a magnificent triggering/playing experience, with total control over mic's and EQ and great sounding rooms and reverb. I still recommend recording the MIDI data and playing back your module and adjusting the mix from the module but that's imo. It gives you all the chutzpah from the module, you can record a stereo mix without 8-16 outputs of audio and swap out kits and sounds and adjust levels, compression, EQ etc. as you like and remix arguably just as fast as you would recording individual outs. Have the module permanently MIDI in and MIDI out with a good MIDI interface. The U3-88c is is a great MIDI interface powered by USB3.0 which is remarkably stronger in delivery and power management than USB2.0. Because of the USB 3.0, the Alyseum has extremely low latency and jitter allowing smooth workflow. And you won't have to worry about latency anyway as you will with VST triggering, because you monitor directly from the module and there is no a/d d/a roundtrip and conversion to wade through.

This will be your best bet, I'm just offering my experience but Alan is the expert here.
              thank you. I am leaning towards the mimic because I am not tech savvy enough to do the midi route. What is interesting Is that a friend of mine who does a bunch of recording mention that the Gentleman who sends him tracks demands “raw” drums and he adds ego later. I sent this same guy my td30 kit on one recording and he liked it. Go figure. Lol. Thanks again for the detailed response and I will read it again later as I assume the td30 is a great midi device.

Comment

thank you. I am leaning towards the mimic because I am not tech savvy enough to do the midi route. What is interesting Is that a friend of mine who does a bunch of recording mention that the Gentleman who sends him tracks demands “raw” drums and he adds ego later. I sent this same guy my td30 kit on one recording and he liked it. Go figure. Lol. Thanks again for the detailed response and I will read it again later as I assume the td30 is a great midi device.
                You're welcome. Mimic is the way to go and your TD-30 is definitely a great MIDI device and module. You'll have the best of both worlds.

Comment

If you want to replace the TD30 then the mimic would be a great replacement. But if you want to keep your TD30 and are just looking to record some tracks with better sounds, you would be much better buying a VST (Mimic over US$2,000; Superior Drummer 3 over US$400). I'm no tech genius - learning how to hook a Roland module to a computer and trigger a VST (or record midi and then trigger the VST if you prefer) is not that difficult. Even if you needed to buy an interface you'd still be a long way ahead on $$ with a VST.
                  Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

Thank you Jackodrum.

Comment

Trying to connect SSD4 to my mac on my TD30. What if anything do you need to set the TD30 MIDI section to under global?

I am connecting via usb c to the back of the TD30 USB.
                      TD30 KV owner

Comment

Working...
                      X