Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Audacity To See Module

Hello,
    I've got a Yamaha DTX502. I'm trying to make better sounding covers with it. When I have it going through my mixer, along with my mp3 player, it sounds great in my ears.

The bass drum has a real heavy thump to it. When I play it back though, the bass drum sounds weak. Sometimes it sounds like the bass drum from Korn, if that makes any sense.

I'm plugging the output from the mixer directly into a Zoom Q2N.

Someone told me I could beef it up using a DAW. I never really did anything with that because I don't have many outputs, just the main L/R or the USB so I didn't think it would be good for me.

I know with an acoustic you can have different tracks and if you have a more advanced module there are more outputs to separate tracks so I don't know what, if anything it will do for me.

I do want to find out though but I'm not having any luck with Audacity. I figured I would start with that since I can download it for free. I tried plugging in the USB in the module and then into the computer but it's only hearing the external computer mic.

So, I plugged a 3.5mm cable into the headphones out and then the headphone/mic input (my laptop only has one input), but it still is only picking up the sounds in the room from the external mic.

What can I do to have Audacity actually hear the drums being hit? Also, will this make a difference from just going into the camera from the mixer?

Thanks for any help!
    Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

1. The USB port on the DTX is sending MIDI information. Not audio.....
    2. If you're gonna record audio on your PC you need a reasonable audio interface, not the crappy mic in. Cheapest entry point would be the Behringer UCA202, then it goes up and up.
    3. As for Audacity, you need to tell it to record from the line-in not the on-board mic. (either in Audacity or your computer settings). Either way it won't sound very good - see (2), above.

Last edited by electrodrummer; 07-12-19, 07:17 PM.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

OK, thank you. I thought I might need an audio interface, just wasn't sure. I was looking at the Presonus and Focusrite, not sure of the model numbers, maybe 2i2 for the Focusrite and something similar for the Presonus.

They were around $99-$149. They came with their own recording software as well.

When you say "either way it won't sound good" what exactly are you referring to, Audacity? UCA202? The DTX?

Also, let's say I get the Presonus or Focusrite. How do i go from the module to the interface to the computer? I'm thinking L/R into the two inputs then the USB out from the interface to the computer?

Thanks for your help!
      Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

I have both a Behringer UCA202 and a Focusrite 2i2. They both work fine for me - currently I'm using the Behringer.

Comment

Every video I watch regarding Presonus Studio One and electronic drums has a VST in it. What if I just want to make my drums sound a bit better but I don't want to get into VSTs? Is that possible just using the module, or should I just stay with recording directly into the camera? Basically, will using a DAW make a difference if I'm not using a VST?

Comment

Also if you would like to try a DAW different than Audacity, check out the software line formally known as Sonor, now called Cakewalk by BandLab.
            Free download: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
            Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
            Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

OK, I was going to try Studio One if I get the Presonus, but the question I had was will it make a difference if I'm not planning on using vst's?

Comment

Originally posted by merpmerp View Post
                OK, I was going to try Studio One if I get the Presonus, but the question I had was will it make a difference if I'm not planning on using vst's?
                The software you use for recording has vitualy no impact. What can make a difference is the post-recording phase, applying eq, compression and other effects to enhance the sound. You could record on anything and import the sound in a DAW (or something like soundforge or wavelab sofware) for editing, but it is more practical to do it all-in-one, more so if you plan to use a soundcard. Since it seems that you're a novice in this, try exploring some tutorials about home recording and sound editing to get to the basics. Recordingrevolution is a great place to start!
                •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
                •SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
                •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post

The software you use for recording has vitualy no impact. What can make a difference is the post-recording phase, applying eq, compression and other effects to enhance the sound. You could record on anything and import the sound in a DAW (or something like soundforge or wavelab sofware) for editing, but it is more practical to do it all-in-one, more so if you plan to use a soundcard. Since it seems that you're a novice in this, try exploring some tutorials about home recording and sound editing to get to the basics. Recordingrevolution is a great place to start!
                  Thanks for the information. Yes, I think I am referring to the post-recording phase. I have no problem recording the song and the drums together, even using two cameras, and having the drums sound like they're part of the song, I just wish the drums sounded the same on playback as they do in my headphones, especially the bass drum.

When you say soundcard, are you also referring to an audio interface?

Comment

Originally posted by merpmerp View Post

Thanks for the information. Yes, I think I am referring to the post-recording phase. I have no problem recording the song and the drums together, even using two cameras, and having the drums sound like they're part of the song, I just wish the drums sounded the same on playback as they do in my headphones, especially the bass drum.

When you say soundcard, are you also referring to an audio interface?
                    Yes, an audio interface + a DAW (like the presonus combo you mentioned) is a good solution. The audio recording capabilities of a camera are not comparable, I'd say.
                    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
                    •SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
                    •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

OK, I'll try it, thanks. Also, and I have a mixer, is there any way I can use my mp3 player to hear the music and the drums at the same time, but only record the drums on the computer?

Comment

You should be able to do just that...if you run the output of your module into the mixer along with the music your playing to but only allow the drum parts into the computer...like an auxiliary output submix on your mixer into your interface...
                        Tama Club Jam 4 piece...Remo silent stroke heads...Zildjian low v cymbals...TD-17 module...EZDrummer2 VST...

Comment

So, I just got the Presonus audio interface. Should I be using mono cables to go from the L/R out of my module into the two inputs in the front of the Audiobox USB?

Comment

If you want to record the stereo drum sounds from your module, then yes, mono cables from the outputs of your modules to the dual inputs of your soundcard.
                            You can then record your module's drum sounds while playing along a music track.

If you want to try better sounds (for free), check out the offering from Sennheiser called drummic'a. It's a free VST that sounds pretty good.
                            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
                              If you want to record the stereo drum sounds from your module, then yes, mono cables from the outputs of your modules to the dual inputs of your soundcard.
                              You can then record your module's drum sounds while playing along a music track.

If you want to try better sounds (for free), check out the offering from Sennheiser called drummic'a. It's a free VST that sounds pretty good.
                              OK, great, thank you!

I'll check that out once I get this part figured out!

Comment

Working...
                              X