Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I actually do mix/engineer in my spare time.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I actually do mix/engineer in my spare time.

    I actually do mix/engineer songs in my spare time to keep my skills mediocre at best. I'm not saying I'm any good at it or anything, but I thought I'd share.

    This is a band called Ripe. The song is "Little Lighter".

    My Ripe Mixdown.mp3

    Hell, if you want your band mixed, feel free to message me. I could use a buck or two.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  • #2
    Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
    I actually do mix/engineer songs in my spare time to keep my skills mediocre at best. I'm not saying I'm any good at it or anything, but I thought I'd share.
    This is a band called Ripe. The song is "Little Lighter".
    This is a wide clean balanced mix better than most I hear submitted for TV when they use vocals, usually it's just the instrumental mix. I will suggest you as mixer/engineer whenever I get an opportunity.

    Comment


    • #3
      Made some tweaks and mastered it. Not perfect, but ...fun.

      My Ripe Mastered.mp3
      Alan
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Comment


      • #4
        Figured I'd add my final mix. Tightened it up in a lot of areas.

        My Ripe Final.mp3

        So, why did I do this here? Mainly, I wanted to take some time to practice; but because I'm also considering doing a mix course to teach others how to use a DAW for home recording their modules and getting great results. If that sounds interesting to you, let me know.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting hearing the subtle changes between the versions. Clearly some perfectionist at work on this.

          At some point, the artwork must be finished though! Although I often hear; one never truly makes a final mix, only a mix that is given up.
          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
          Community Drum Module Document
          PA Specifications (wip)

          Comment


          • #6
            fun song indeed!
            I like it!

            Mixing is a fun hobby, but not easy.

            For my ears, I think the bass covers a too wide frequency band, and it smoothers up the other instruments, like the kick drum that is inaudible. I'd EQ it to cover less, have more punch and free up some space.
            And the chorus is recessed and lost. If that's what you wanted, than ok, but again, a bit of level and EQ clean up would free up the "little lighter" lyrics.

            That's just me, and my own personal ears.

            Indeed... a mix is never finished... just do the best in the amount of time allowed.
            Last edited by perceval; 07-08-19, 11:14 AM.
            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

            My new venture: voglosounds.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by perceval View Post
              fun song indeed!
              I like it!

              Mixing is a fun hobby, but not easy.

              For my ears, I think the bass covers a too wide frequency band, and it smoothers up the other instruments, like the kick drum that is inaudible. I'd EQ it to cover less, have more punch and free up some space.
              And the chorus is recessed and lost. If that's what you wanted, than ok, but again, a bit of level and EQ clean up would free up the "little lighter" lyrics.

              That's just me, and my own personal ears.

              Indeed... a mix is never finished... just do the best in the amount of time allowed.
              Interesting,kick drum is not inaudible on my system but the bass feels like it could be more compressed and lowered in volume. Bass and kick can be very difficult to balance on multiple systems. I finally bought a Genelec SAM system that EQ's to the mix position and it is a lot easier. Even so,the room treatment and speaker position is critical.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

                Interesting,kick drum is not inaudible on my system but the bass feels like it could be more compressed and lowered in volume. Bass and kick can be very difficult to balance on multiple systems. I finally bought a Genelec SAM system that EQ's to the mix position and it is a lot easier. Even so,the room treatment and speaker position is critical.
                I actually remastered it again over the weekend. I'll upload it later. I changed several things, including the crossover in the mid-low for the BD separation. Significantly better. I had it set to my default, and forgot to change it. Lowering it made a big difference. The bass track was really weak to begin with. I pushed it pretty hard, but didn't like the saturation I began to get. The two tracks just son't work well together (DI/AMP) I didn't want to spend time re-amping the DI. I was also checking out 3 new mastering plugs; so they were new to me. I ended up using two of mine (recently purchased) in tandem. One for gain, and the other for multi-comp. I like the Shadow Hills, but I haven't bought it yet. Still deciding.
                Alan
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by perceval View Post
                  fun song indeed!
                  I like it!

                  Mixing is a fun hobby, but not easy.

                  For my ears, I think the bass covers a too wide frequency band, and it smoothers up the other instruments, like the kick drum that is inaudible. I'd EQ it to cover less, have more punch and free up some space.
                  And the chorus is recessed and lost. If that's what you wanted, than ok, but again, a bit of level and EQ clean up would free up the "little lighter" lyrics.

                  That's just me, and my own personal ears.

                  Indeed... a mix is never finished... just do the best in the amount of time allowed.
                  Good points.. and points I addressed over the weekend. The chorus was actual recessed in the live recording, and I wanted to vaguely keep that. (he's also using an fx mic for some of it that I can't change) I actually did push it up a little in the chorus, but I'll automate it up a little more tonight when I export the newer version. We'll see if it improves. See the post above about the bass/BD.
                  Alan
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    OK, I'm tone deaf or worse, so mixing, etc. is not my forte.
                    Would definitely love that mixing course you mention.

                    Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                    Figured I'd add my final mix. Tightened it up in a lot of areas.

                    [ATTACH]n1210049[/ATTACH]

                    So, why did I do this here? Mainly, I wanted to take some time to practice; but because I'm also considering doing a mix course to teach others how to use a DAW for home recording their modules and getting great results. If that sounds interesting to you, let me know.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I should clarify... I was talking about mixing drums only.
                      Alan
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah, me too
                        thanks

                        Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                        I should clarify... I was talking about mixing drums only.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X