• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lachy
    started a topic Bass drum thin when recording

Bass drum thin when recording

Hey all,

I'm doing a simple mix record out of the mono into a camera & am having trouble as the bass drum sounds really thin. Really different to straight out of the headphones or through a speaker.
    Any ideas.
    thanks so much.

Lach

• Peter Warren
    replied
    Make sure the compression is off on the camera. The kick would hit the compressor and squash it into nothing depending on level.

Leave a comment:

• Alan VEX
    replied
    I assume you mean it sounds great through headphones at the module, but not in the final cam recording in a different viewing situation. You either need to get better trustworthy headphones, or tweak through a better monitoring source for your intended end result. Otherwise, showing us your BD EQ may lead us to the issue. (may need to see more settings too, but that will be a good start) Generally speaking, you should expect to bump BDs in the low EQ. I usually push a few dB anywhere between 50-80... most often around 63... but genre and style can affect this. It helps to pull back a tad around 315-500, and then push any high end you desire for attack. (5-8k if desired) Comp will also play into this for punch. Weíll need to know a lot more. A small sample can help too.

Leave a comment:

• Lachy
    replied
    Hey Alan, yes so sorry this is my first post here & I pressed post way too early then couldn't edit it after I had realised. I'm not in front of my kit now to answer everything but will come back. I have the TD30. It's Sunday here tomorrow so I'll do a lot more testing then so I am armed with more information.

My goal is just to record the my playing with the Sony EX1 camera that I have. The rest of the kit sounds perfect on the recording, it's just the kick that is lacking bottom end.

Thanks for your reply.

Lach

Leave a comment:

• Alan VEX
    replied
    Out of what module? What bass drum? What EQ settings? What Comp settings? What monitoring? What headphones? What interface? What camera? What speakers? Whatís the desired goal?

We need a LOT more info. All youíre telling us is two things donít match. Thatís normal, if youíre not using reference level equipment during the entire process.

You have to compensate where needed to achieve your final desired result across various equipment. Reaching this takes knowledge of EQ and processing in general, so you know youíre setting options properly. If youíre using headphones, make sure they properly represent the result you desire in external equipment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X