DAW control from the drum position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAW control from the drum position

I'm getting back into doing some recording in my little 10x10 space (if that). I have to make it really easy to do because pressing buttons and checking levels and all that engineering stuff is on the opposite site of the see-saw from the musical creativity side. I recently discovered "TouchDAW" which is an Android app that I was able to configure to control my DAW (SONAR Professional) using a little 7" tablet wirelessly. I can still see the monitor but I don't have to be sitting in front of the keyboard any more. Just getting started with this, but wanted to see what other people do. In an ideal world I would have a lovely assistant to press buttons and trim out and loop the good parts, but at my age (cough) never mind.

I can probably mount a tablet holder onto the drum rack so I can just reach over and tap. I think the main things I need to automate at the moment are:
    a) Rewind (all the way or to previous marker)
    b) Next Marker
    c) Play
    d) Record
    e) Undo

If you have not tried TouchDAW you might find it really useful. Don't know why it took me so long to figure this out.

I use Cubase and the icpro app. This allows me to control Cubase from my iPhone/iPad. I also have PT Control from Avid which although you would thing it is for protools it works as a control for Cubase. Again this is iOS only and I donít know if it works with any other DAWs
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

By the way I have a magnetic case on my iPhone and it sticks to the top of my td30 great
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Studio One Pro plus their iPad app is AWESOME.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Of you can find a frontier designs transport, it works with both Cakewalk and studio one and is designed for exactly this. They don't make them any more but it does still work here for both apps. For example...

​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONTIER-Tr...d=231304904121
          My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Even the cheapest laptop on a screen share will not use cpu from your main rig and give you a nice big screen to work with. I have a 15" early 2013 Mac laptop retina on screenshare controlling my main rig (like you across the room) and the clarity and screen real estate is great, the whole show is there and easily controlled wirelessly. My main rig is clear out of view and the track pad and mouse work really smooth on the screen share laptop.

I used to use an iPad or iPhone but be aware it can be a cpu hog if you use a program like YAM etc. I don't trigger VTS's anymore but when I did I was getting cracks and pops till I gave the screen sharing cpu to the laptop. I may have also been on the wrong settings with YAM just be sure you are not doubling up your Graphics card from the main computer if you do a screen share on an iPad or iPhone. Sounds like people figured out a lot of great options in this thread.
            Last edited by Howstamychi; 04-08-19, 06:51 PM. Reason: additional thought.

Comment

I'm using PC Remote (beta) on my android phone behind the kit. It's not one of those you find on Google Play, though. Their names are misleading, a lot of apps are called PC Remote there...
              It's this one actually:
              https://www.appsapk.com/pc-remote-app/

It needs a server app on the PC, which you just start up and forget about it. You then just have to put your DAW into the focus.
              The phone app then only needs to connect to the server via WiFi (and, in my case, the IP within the network), and controls the DAW by using hotkeys over the virtual keyboard. In my case, that's Samplitude ProX3. We record & rehearse this way.
              The app also has built-in screenshare and more, but that's payware. The basic remote functionality is free, and there's no pop-up ads or the like.
              gear: MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3, Goedrum HH controller), Triggera 10" splash
              band: http://theboardmusic.com

Comment

Working...
              X