Midi drumming with two modules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi drumming with two modules

I have 2 Yamaha DTXplorer electronic drum kits that I have combined to make 1 large kit. I was using one of the drum modules to trigger all cymbals and the other to trigger toms/snare/kicks. Currently I run one module midi out and the other 1/4 out to record both at the same time in separate tracks (cymbals ate midi data and toms are audio wavelength). I have the cymbals programmed on Impact and have just been using preset Tom sounds from the module. I got a midi merger since I am running everything into a USB audiobox and am wanting to get all midi data and have all the samples coming from assignments in Impact. The problem I have run into is that the 2 drum modules send the same midi notes so essentially my cymbals in Impact are all that is triggered (i.e A0 was triggering a crash via midi before but now the snare Tom also triggers A0 resulting in just another duplicate crash). It appears that I cannot reassign midi notes in the Yamaha module. Is there a workaround for this that anyone can think of? Thanks a bunch for any advice anyone has.

"I cannot reassign midi notes in the Yamaha module". True. The DTXPlorer was a cutdown DTXpress, which itself was a cutdown DTXPro, so a lot the user options wree removed to make it simple.

So: easiest option - buy an eBay DTXPress or DTX Pro - dead cheap (bought my last DTX Pro for 40 in the UK!). Change the MIDI notes on that. (There are other ways to do this - but this is the quickest and easiest!)
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

This is what I was thinking about having to do . So my idea was to continue using one DTXplorer module and then trade out the 2nd module with a dtxpress3 or something. Keep the DTXplorer module set as is and then reassign dtxpress3 to notes that aren't used. Do you know off hand how many available notes the express3 has available? Also were the express, express2 and express3 all changeable in regards to midi notes? Thanks very much for your reply!

Comment

" many available notes the express3 has available" 128 ish - standard MIDI range. Download and read the manuals. They're all free on Yamaha's site
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

Working...
        X