Favorite over-the-ear headphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite over-the-ear headphone?

I have a nice little basement rehearsal space with Behringer P16 monitor stations for guitar players. The guitars go into Digitech or Line6 amp emulators so the whole band is quiet and everyone gets their own mix. Works great.

The headphones I've been using have been the Direct Sound EX29 isolating headphones that I used back when I had an acoustic kit and they're excellent with loud, live drums in the room but now that all that acoustic low end has gone away with my transition to vdrums they sound pretty thin.

I've tried a pair of Beats Pro since that brand overemphasises the low end but they're well overpriced for their actual quality.

What make/model of headphones do you like? Are you getting a good bass kick without a muddy overall sound? Do they isolate from that non-musical click-click-tap-tap from the vdrums?
    Roland TD-50KS +1 tom +1 cymbal. Behringer XR18 with Ultranet monitoring. Protools.

Beherdynamic DT770. Comfy, bomb proof, great sound, decent price.

Comment

Audio Technica ATH-M50 is a great choice too. But I prefer by far my 3 ways in ear monitor, they isolate all the poc poc sounds

Comment

We just had a discussion of this on the Mimic FB page and drummers recommended: Beyerdynamic PT770, Sennheiser HD25 Plus, Audio Technica MX40 or 50. The general recommendation was for a closed back model (to block pad noise) and a flat response. That may not give you the sound you are looking for with a thumping bass but it will be more clear across the freq range.
        ATV aDrums Artist expanded kit, Mimic Pro. Ludwig 1967 black oyster pearl five piece, Zildjian A custom crashes, A. Zildjian ride and hats.

Comment

People are going to recommend what they personally use or like for THEM. Go try (or order & try) headphones for yourself. Pick what fits your flavor/build desire.
          Alan
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

yep Alan is right everyone has their own taste and preference, with that said another good set is sony 7510, my favorite for the price range
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

My favorite over ear cans are the V-MODA Crossfade 2. Agree with Alan, though, there are so many options out there and it really is personal taste, once you pass a certain point of quality.
              E-kit: TD50KV with KD A22, SPD-SX, BT-1, Acoustic: DW Custom, Maple Mahogany, Zildjian K Customs, Sweet and Darks, Pork Pie Thrones, Tama Speed Cobras and DW HW, Zildjian sticks. Midas 32C, MD421, EV ND46, ND96, SM57, SM81. Past kits include Roland TD9 Mesh and TD30K.

Comment

I have the dt770 which are good but by the far the best I have ever had are the dt1770 which sound incredibly natural and do not distort with heavy bass drum sounds.
                Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Sony WH-1000XM2 with active noise canceling. They’re Bluetooth but of course I use them with the audio cable for zero latency. Amazing, I can’t hear the sticks hitting the pads at all.
                  Roland TD-12 + SD3 + Drum-tec stainless steel Pro snare, ATV 18” ride & some basic Roland pads.

Comment

Another vote for the Audio Technica M50's. I bought those after my Sony 7506 set broke mechanically. Maybe I'm not as picky as I used to be, but the Audio Technica's sound just as good to me and are very comfortable.

Also, on a lark I bought a set of "Mpow 059" headphones from amazon. They are very cheap, and are not too shabby at all for a backup set - build quality is nice and they can do bluetooth as well.

Comment

Audio Technica ATH-M50x was the winner with Shure SHR840's as a close 2nd. Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
                      Roland TD-50KS +1 tom +1 cymbal. Behringer XR18 with Ultranet monitoring. Protools.

Comment

Beherdynamic DT225

Matthew

Comment

Working...
                        X