Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommeded DAW Monitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recommeded DAW Monitors

    I feel the need to get some new DAW monitors. I have some in my Amazon shopping list, but was wondering what people like these days for mixing at the DAW. What are your recommendations?
    Alan
    _________________________________________
    visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

  • #2
    Just passing by to recommend the JBL LSR305/8 & 310s again.

    What I would like to say though, which I cannot overstate enough, is how important making music with a subwoofer is.

    I can listen to any music track and know, instantly, which has been mixed with a sub in the room.

    Bass lines (on guitars or synths, whatever instrument you craft your bottom end with) really is the silver bullet when done right, and it forces you to tidy up your mids as well, not just making sure the kick thumps. All benefits to gain, and a lot of fun.

    Once you are done with your mix, turn off the satellites, listen back and mix again. People can identify a piece of music just by listening to bass, and it travels the furthest distances outside. So make it a good one! That's my philosophy.
    Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 12-05-17, 07:05 PM.
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Specifications (wip)

    Comment


    • #3
      Genelec 8260A
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
        Genelec 8260A
        Bite me.
        Alan
        _________________________________________
        visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
          Just passing by to recommend the JBL LSR305/8 & 310s again.

          What I would like to say though, which I cannot overstate enough, is how important making music with a subwoofer is.
          I was considering the Yamaha HS8s, but I'm a sucker for JBL, and those are attractive prices. Chris has a pair of HS8s with a sub, and they are mind-blowingly amazing. Wondering if it's worth saving half the money with the JBLs.
          Alan
          _________________________________________
          visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Alan, you might want to check out Adam Audio. I checked the A7 years ago in a store, they were awesome, so I was very interested afterwards in listening to the P22, wich was an 8". Current line of models, I haven't heard either, but only read that they are even better. Depending on the budget, I'd say to look for A7X or A8X with/without subwoofer - I guess with will most of the time be the best option, or the A77X - from what I read, a subwoofer is not really necessary with that one, but I suppose it won't hurt either. https://www.adam-audio.com/en/
            If you want them with a sub, there are bundles available: https://www.adam-audio.com/en/adam-a...dle-discounts/.

            Curious to know what you'll end up with!

            Stijn
            'lectric drumma
            Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

            Comment


            • #7
              Are you a tiny bit handy?

              Can you cut and glue foamcore, or a little plywood?

              I've been making my own speakers, everything from small bookshelves to huge open baffles with 15" woofers to line arrays.

              For a 1/4 of the price you'll pay, you can get an amazing little set.

              Two designs that stand out lately.

              I really like my pair of Nola Brio clones. Very easy to build, and just add a commercial little 8" or 10" sub and they will blow your mind. The presence feeling is quite amazing. They are built with dual 3 1/2" drivers.

              Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.10.13 PM.png

              The other is in foamcore, easy to cut, glue, assemble. Sound amazing and if you go for the dual drivers, they don't need a sub for a small room, unless you want more power under 40-ish Hz...

              Here's a guy using them in his studio, the little white boxes, he said they are way better than the black commercial boxes he had:

              Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.14.18 PM.png
              DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

              My new venture: voglosounds.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

                I was considering the Yamaha HS8s, but I'm a sucker for JBL, and those are attractive prices. Chris has a pair of HS8s with a sub, and they are mind-blowingly amazing. Wondering if it's worth saving half the money with the JBLs.
                The HS8 are the only Yamaha monitors I can recommend, since I think the HS5 is appalling, I don't know what they did to mess them up so badly.

                LSR308 vs HS8

                The HS8 is the more accurate / flat. Attempts to be as uncolored as possible, the better workshop tool.

                The LSR308 wants to entertain you as it's second objective. JBL have intentionally colored it to be more exciting, so taste will be the factor.

                In short, if you are the type of person who likes to EQ up the treble (specifically 15k+) to increase perceived fidelity, the JBL is for you; as the highs natively sparkle. It is not hyped treble or anything artificial, it genuinely delivers extra detail to hi-hats, and a wow factor to music.

                However the mid-range (around 1-2k) is also slightly boosted on the JBL leading to a slightly boxed vocals, whereas the mid-range on the HS8 is true to source.

                The 8 inch monitors are very close rivals. The bass is very good on both.

                However the 5 inch LSR305 supersedes the HS5 in every way.
                Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 12-06-17, 01:58 PM.
                ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                Community Drum Module Document
                PA Specifications (wip)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                  The HS8 are the only Yamaha monitors I can recommend, since I think the HS5 is appalling, I don't know what they did to mess them up so badly.
                  Agree completely on the 8 vs the 5.

                  Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                  The HS8 is the more accurate / flat. Attempts to be as uncolored as possible, the better workshop tool.
                  This is exactly why I love the HS8.

                  Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                  The LSR308 wants to entertain you as it's second objective. JBL have intentionally colored it to be more exciting, so taste will be the factor.

                  In short, if you are the type of person who likes to EQ up the treble (specifically 15k+) to increase perceived fidelity, the JBL is for you; as the highs natively sparkle. It is not hyped treble or anything artificial, it genuinely delivers extra detail to hi-hats, and a wow factor to music.

                  However the mid-range (around 1-2k) is also slightly boosted on the JBL leading to a slightly boxed vocals, whereas the mid-range on the HS8 is true to source.

                  The 8 inch monitors are very close rivals. The bass is very good on both.

                  However the 5 inch LSR305 supersedes the HS5 in every way.
                  You had me until the mid-boost. I do tend to liven up the high-end, and could definitely benefit from that, but I'd want the rest to be more flat like the Yamaha.

                  I'd actually rather do without the sub, but Chris does have one running, and there's no doubt it's a benefit to the overall setup.

                  I may "try" the JBLs, and return them if they don't outperform the Yamaha.
                  Alan
                  _________________________________________
                  visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ah I don't think you'll return the JBLs if you try them.

                    Have a listen to this video and see what you think:



                    I can understand why JBL has sought to increase the liveliness in the mid-range on the 8 inch - the bass is naturally larger on 8 inch woofers and it swamps the mids if there's too much of it, but coloration is coloration.

                    If you are fixated on 8 inch studio monitors, I would agree, not to go with a sub - only because you would be robbing more value from them (using a crossover, as one should) than with 5 inch woofers which run out of bass earlier and a justified in having a sub, which properly calibrated, extends the frequency range of your total monitoring system in harmony.
                    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                    Community Drum Module Document
                    PA Specifications (wip)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You need to be careful with a sub. If not set right for your listening position you can mess up a mix as easily as get it right. I use a sub with my little Genelec 29a speakers but also use headphones and my hi fit in the other room to check mixes as well as the car.
                      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                        I feel the need to get some new DAW monitors. I have some in my Amazon shopping list, but was wondering what people like these days for mixing at the DAW. What are your recommendations?
                        I would take a look at some used JBL4328's with measurement mic. I have seen them for $800 pair used.The room correction can save you a lot time and they are very high quality monitors that sold for $1600 new.The 308's had fairly sloppy low end but OK for how cheap they are. I had the JBL 4326's and then moved up to Genelec 8330's and 7350 sub. The Genelec room correction is much more advanced but the JBL system works for low end nodes.

                        After seeing the calibration that my Genelec system does between the sub and 2 ways,I cannot imagine how anyone could get it right by ear. I studied audio mastering at San Francisco State and we covered room setup extensively. He emphasized it is half the sound and also that even the most high end mixing systems set up by acoustic specialists may have EQ on them to correct room acoustics. They had used Bob Hodas to do their room and it was eye opening . There are some cost effective things you can do to improve your room acoustics.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          ...my friend Jouni showed how the calibration system worked on his Genelec 1238DF SAM monitors + Sub....what a great thing...and sound! But the price for the system was like 10 Mimic Pros....could be an issue...Genelec SAM monitors - Good stuff!

                          Best Regards

                          Anders
                          Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14,13R,15R,12CR,RT-10S&K,2xBT-1,VH-11,-12,-13 & KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera 2x D14,D11,120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 1.30.3, Addictive Drums 2.1.7. All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            i understand a sub.. but a lot of people don't have a sub.. then when they listen tracks on their pc/ laptop. ..the mix is going to miss low end .. (can..)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by angr77 View Post
                              ...my friend Jouni showed how the calibration system worked on his Genelec 1238DF SAM monitors + Sub....what a great thing...and sound! But the price for the system was like 10 Mimic Pros....could be an issue...Genelec SAM monitors - Good stuff!

                              Best Regards

                              Anders
                              I got the 8330's and 7350 with the SAM system for $2500 used. It is one of the best purchases I have made for my studio. The 1238's must be unreal! The little 8330's on their own can put out a surprising amount of low end for 5 inch woofers. The SAM system makes everything so easy. No more checking mixes in the car ,etc.

                              Another great speaker for the money is the Genelec M40. I have seen them used for $1000 pair.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X