Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the kits sound from module TD-11

Hi there,

I looked rapidly and I could not found the info so I am posting this new topic. please correct me if that information already exists

So we started to record drum tracks for our next album with a friend sound engineer last weekend. I recognise that this was really fun to do and more easy than I thought. We did that because we don't have enough mikes to record in our studio yet and it costs a lot...

So, after all the recording, our friend tried to connect his computer to the module directly to save all the sound we choosed for the band drumkit (similar as the sound we have on our acoustic drum but better quality)

Anyway, his computer was recognizing the module but impossible to extract the sounds.

First : Is that possible or we have to use a specific program to get the sounds for each pad?

Just to let him don't spend 2 weeks searching for nothing. I am looking at your replies since i'm sure someone has already done this before or searching for the kits to replace on midi recordings.

Thank you very much!

Wish you a drummin' good day

Vince

Originally posted by Vince_Bxl View Post
    So, after all the recording, our friend tried to connect his computer to the module directly to save all the sound we choosed for the band drumkit (similar as the sound we have on our acoustic drum but better quality)

Anyway, his computer was recognizing the module but impossible to extract the sounds.

First : Is that possible or we have to use a specific program to get the sounds for each pad?
    Not quite sure what you are getting at here! "Extract the sounds" - you can't "extract" the sounds from the module, so:

- Do you have a MIDI drum track in a sequencer and want to use that to create an audio track using the TD11 sounds?

- (and/or) Are you not using the sounds in the TD11 but some form of softsynth?

*** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

Yeah I am probably not using the proper words here...

Short and sweet, we recorded in MIDI format for editing. I have created a preset kit that I've choosen myself that sound the same as our drum at our normal repetitions local.

When you listen to the MIDI saved track (the reccording of what I have played), same as the midi I can save on a USB key, there are no drum sounds, only ticking folowing the beat. We want to take the same sound I have when I play and replace the MIDI notes by these sounds. my hi-hat preset, my basedrum preset, toms, cymbales etc that I hear when I am playing.

As I said i'm new to recording, and I just want him to save time searching in a case that it's not possible to export the kits in a computer to use them after that in a editing program.

Last edited by Vince_Bxl; 08-09-17, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince_Bxl View Post
        Yeah I am probably not using the proper words here...

Short and sweet, we recorded in MIDI format for editing. I have created a preset kit that I've choosen myself that sound the same as our drum at our normal repetitions local.

When you listen to the MIDI saved track (the reccording of what I have played), same as the midi I can save on a USB key, there are no drum sounds, only ticking folowing the beat. We want to take the same sound I have when I play and replace the MIDI notes by these sounds. my hi-hat preset, my basedrum preset, toms, cymbales etc that I hear when I am playing.

As I said i'm new to recording, and I just want him to save time searching in a case that it's not possible to export the kits in a computer to use them after that in a editing program.

OK - little bit closer

So, you have MIDI file of drumming.

"We recorded in MIDI format for editing" - How? Using what software/hardware? Please list all items - I'm thinking you've recorded MIDI to the USB stick, maybe?.

"Where" now is this MIDI file? In a sequencer package? What package?

Next, you say you have a "preset kit". "Where" is this preset kit? in the TD11?

---

Here's my normal method:
        1. MIDI OUT of module into PC MIDI IN and then into sequencer software.
        2. MIDI OUT of PC into MIDI IN of module
        3. Audio OUT of module into Audio IN on PC and into sequencer
        3. Record performance as MIDI into sequencer software - don't bother recording audio at this point.
        5. Tweak performance to suit, by auditioning track via the MIDI back into the module, listening via the audio, whilst fixing the MIDI data if necessary
        6. Once happy - do a final audio recording of of the module, being driven by the MIDI data.

Note - with some modules that have USB, the MIDI IN/MIDI OUT bits are done via USB,

For want of an analogy:

- MIDI data is sheet music.
        - you write the sheet music
        - you edit the sheet music.
        - once you're happy with the sheet music, you get a musician to play it and record the performance.
        Last edited by electrodrummer; 08-09-17, 11:42 AM.
        DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

Hi, the TD-11 lacks of midi input so you can't send the midi data from your pc to the TD-11 module to play the internal sounds. You can use a virtual instrument (vst) to give your recording a sound or you could sample each pad sound directly from your TD-11 and save them on your pc.
          Last edited by Alan Form; 08-10-17, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Form View Post
            Hi, the TD-11 lacks of midi input so you can't send the midi data from your pc to the TD-11 module to play the internal sounds. You can use a virtual instrument (vst) to give your recording a sound or you could sample each pad sound directly from your TD-11 and save them on your pc.
            Hello!

Yeah, that's what we thought. It was the plan B to use a VST to add the proper sound to the recorded MIDI.

For your reply electrodrummer : I recon that I have a lack of information to gives you. I don't know all the programs and hardware our sound engineer is using sadly. I was just looking to find a way or not to export the drums sounds of the module to put them in the midi file via a specific program x that he uses to edit. I will let him know that he will need to go with virtual drummer.

Thank you all and have a good day !
            Last edited by Vince_Bxl; 08-10-17, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Form View Post
              The TD accepts MIDI IN via the USB connection from a PC/Sequencer so can be used as the sound generator.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

The TD accepts MIDI IN via the USB connection from a PC/Sequencer so can be used as the sound generator.
                As I know it does just send midi information and it can't receive data from USB. The manual also says it transmits data to the PC. If you are able to do that can you please explain how is that possible?

Comment

electrodrummer might be right. Check this: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/52...1.html?page=37

Comment

I've taken a look at the manual and he is right. I think it would be very odd to have USB midi and it not work both ways.

This is being the case you can use the sounds although if this is for serious recording then the sounds on a TD-11 would be woefully inadequate. I would use a vsti once you have taken the trouble to get connected to a computer. The only thing you may have to do is map the notes on the DAW/sequencer. I do think you need to do a bit of reading up on midi though.
                    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD2 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits.

Comment

Hi all,

So finaly we used EZ drummer to put sounds on the recorded and saved midi track that I played. Multiples good choices of quality sound, we just spent a few hours to match the sound of each cymbales and toms that we have on the acoustic drum for repetitions and here we go. We will use the same on every future recordings. It sounds even better than the kit I customized on the TD-11.

So now 5 more to record and the demo will be out! Oh and yes, for sure pain in the ass for the others instruments to play 15 times each track before getting the good one! haha, first time recording, it's a very interesting and fun experience!

Last edited by Vince_Bxl; 08-14-17, 01:42 AM.

Comment

15 takes on each tack to get it right? I don't think that's interesting and fun for the drummer unless you're playing prog!

K
                        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

It would be so much easier to get the midi for your drum tracks completed at home and you can take as long as you want. I play a song through and if there are no major mistakes I keep it and then manually go through and correct any mistakes. I also adjust velocity and delete notes that are not supposed to be there getting a perfect drum track. I've done this for quite a few projects now using SD2 and then sent the midi and the SD2 project to the studio and they can do as they like. The last bit about doing what they like is not for my material but only ones I've been paid for
                          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD2 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
                            15 takes on each tack to get it right? I don't think that's interesting and fun for the drummer unless you're playing prog!

K
                            It was humour........ Like, now it's their turn to work on the recording of their instruments...

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                              It would be so much easier to get the midi for your drum tracks completed at home and you can take as long as you want. I play a song through and if there are no major mistakes I keep it and then manually go through and correct any mistakes. I also adjust velocity and delete notes that are not supposed to be there getting a perfect drum track. I've done this for quite a few projects now using SD2 and then sent the midi and the SD2 project to the studio and they can do as they like. The last bit about doing what they like is not for my material but only ones I've been paid for
                              This is exactly what we are doing? Recording in midi, replace the midi notes by real drum sounds and modify or erase mistakes if necessarly.

Well, i'm sorry I jus did not being understood on my first question. It was only to know if I was able or NOT to get directly the sound of the module (for example the real rock preset) to put on the midi file after that. that's it that's all....Nothing more actualy. The sounds are already inserted in the midi track, we took them from EZ drummer. It's okay for a demo anyway.

Thank you anyway. My english is bad and my knowledge on recording is poor, I just wanted to make my friend save time instead of searching forever to extrude the data of the module.

Vince
                              Last edited by Vince_Bxl; 08-16-17, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X