No announcement yet.

Looking for simple way to record drum covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE: After getting frustrated with webcam programs (would get black bars or the sound wouldn't work etc.) i said screw it and bought a camcorder with a mic input and am just going to run the headphone out from either my module or my mixer into the mic in on the camera so when i get a little more familiar with the camera i'll post some drumming vids.

My advice to anyone else wanting to make drum vids is don't bother trying with webcams its just not worth the trouble

Comment

if your cam has hdmi out (most worth having nowadays do), then you can use an hdmi audio embedder to mix the media before it gets to your computer.

Comment

So i just plugged my drum module into the mic input on my new camera and after a few days of google searches and fiddling around i finally found the mic level button and got it working ok ,might still go through the mixer in the future not sure yet ,still not comfortable recording audio and video separate and mixing later so for now i'm doing it all just with the camera.

This is the 1st video done with the new camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He6wxv1BaBQ

Comment

Just did a little searching on this subject for myself, and it looks as though IRig works with Android now and not just Apple products.

Comment

I just got the Galaxy S8 and I also watched the 65 Drums video and purchased an iRIG 2 (not iRIG). I was able to record using the default camera first try with no issues (I did not have to download a 3rd party camera app like mentioned in the video). Overall the sound/mix is acceptable but I definitely want to tweak the Song level (off USB) vs the Kit master volume to even it out more.

Comment

Originally posted by BoilerJ View Post
              I just got the Galaxy S8 and I also watched the 65 Drums video and purchased an iRIG 2 (not iRIG). I was able to record using the default camera first try with no issues (I did not have to download a 3rd party camera app like mentioned in the video). Overall the sound/mix is acceptable but I definitely want to tweak the Song level (off USB) vs the Kit master volume to even it out more.
              Good to know that it works but i already bought a canon camcorder with a mic input,its working out pretty good i would like to use a mixer with it but the 1 i have(behringer) makes too much noise so i just split my headphones out of my td9 and send 1 line to the camera and 1 to my headphones.

This drum cover was done with the new camera.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWqxnD5K-3I
              Last edited by demonocus; 04-30-17, 07:44 PM.

Comment

A-Any tips? I have a Chromebook a-and a TD-1KV.

Comment

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
                  I am always recording the video stream and the sound streams as separate files...e.g. I am recording the video using a hdmi cam to its own memory and the sound on a Zoom HD2 to its internal memory...from the mixer.

I am then combining the sound and video files in Adobe Premiere Elements. It is not too hard to make them to sync. If I have more cams/cameras...these could also added to the "movie" :-).

One result: https://youtu.be/HzONoa1T5K0

best regards

Angr77 / www.zourman.com / Roland hi-hat conversion modules for 2box
                  hi there. i am interested as well in starting making drum covers. i will use my xiaomi mi note 10 pro and my 2box. i can get the separate audio from mu mixing console easily. is it really that easy to sync audio and video? i remember in the past (many many years ago) it was not that easy to find the exact spot to sync them... perhaps i should give it a try again...

Originally posted by Masterworks View Post
                  Just did a little searching on this subject for myself, and it looks as though IRig works with Android now and not just Apple products.
                  if it works for android it would be great. do we have to get a special edition of irig? or any irig will do? are there cheaper alternatives? thank you
                  proud owner of 2box drumit5 mk2
                  www.emag.digitaldrummermag.com/
                  best e-drum magazine in the whole universe

Comment

Originally posted by BURNIN AMBITION View Post
                    i remember in the past (many many years ago) it was not that easy to find the exact spot to sync them... perhaps i should give it a try again...
                    a lot of guys do 3 smacks on the snare at the start..? (visual/audio sync)

Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                      a lot of guys do 3 smacks on the snare at the start..? (visual/audio sync)
                      thank you, that is indeed a neat trick to help. Still, a one step solution would be even better. i am thinking this. i can get the drums and track being fed into the headphones out of my console. if i insert a cable there and plug it into my headphones jack, shouldnt that be recognised by the phone as an incoming audio signal, the same way an external mic would work if it was plugged into the headphone plug?

Comment

OBS used to be pretty good and I imagine it has only gotten better. Native support for many webcams. You don't have to stream live with it, you could just record.
                        My Diamond E-Drums Kit | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Superior Drummer 3 + Hansa | Reaper x64 DAW

Comment

OBS = open broadcaster s(omething)
                          My Diamond E-Drums Kit | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Superior Drummer 3 + Hansa | Reaper x64 DAW

Comment

thank you, that is indeed a neat trick to help. Still, a one step solution would be even better. i am thinking this. i can get the drums and track being fed into the headphones out of my console. if i insert a cable there and plug it into my headphones jack, shouldnt that be recognised by the phone as an incoming audio signal, the same way an external mic would work if it was plugged into the headphone plug?
                            This will work, although you'll need a TRS to TRRS adapter. Note that you'll also only be recording in mono, so you'll want to make sure that you don't use hard panning.

Here's the adapter I'm using: https://www.instagram.com/p/CARLZj2h7Wt/
                            drumgeargeek.com

ad5 // SPD-SX // DTXMulti12 // drumbrute // DFAM

Comment

Originally posted by bpaluzzi View Post

This will work, although you'll need a TRS to TRRS adapter. Note that you'll also only be recording in mono, so you'll want to make sure that you don't use hard panning.

Here's the adapter I'm using: https://www.instagram.com/p/CARLZj2h7Wt/
                              thank you so much for your reply. ill look up for a trs to trrs male cable. i am using android though. so the incoming signal from the headphone plug will automatically recognised from the native camera app? that is awesome

Comment

thank you so much for your reply. ill look up for a trs to trrs male cable. i am using android though. so the incoming signal from the headphone plug will automatically recognised from the native camera app? that is awesome
                                I believe so -- I don't have any experience with Android, but this should be a physical connection -- if an external headset mic can be connected to the camera app, this should work as well.

drumgeargeek.com

ad5 // SPD-SX // DTXMulti12 // drumbrute // DFAM

Comment

Working...
                                X