Triggering or Micing Zildjian L80's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggering or Micing Zildjian L80's

I see some folks out there are triggering their L80's - was wondering about micing them instead. Thinking record MIDI drums (Yamaha DTX), and close mic my L80's (got the LV38 set), then triggering from my DAW after suitable processing. Curious if anyone is doing this, are you happy with the results, whats your setup, etc...Did you have problems - ie false triggers from pads or other sources? How'd your hat triggering work out - that's what I love about the L80's - the slosh zone, but I dunno if that will translate.

My first thought was tiny electrets, but a couple GLS-58 dynamics should work and probably have a little better dynamic range, as well as being cheaper. Just a little bigger is all. Just to be clear - not talking about processing the L80 mics for use as audio - just to trigger from.
    Yamaha DTX-502, KP65 kick, TP100 snare, RHH130 hats, TP65 toms, PCY130S crash. PCY150S ride

Best way is to use zildjian gen16 processor and mic/direct pickups

Comment

I've heard the Gen16's and have NOT been impressed. Absolutely no meat on them.
      Yamaha DTX-502, KP65 kick, TP100 snare, RHH130 hats, TP65 toms, PCY130S crash. PCY150S ride

Comment

I have tried to like the Gen16' system, performed live with them....once. Tried just the cymbals with piezos, liked that better but still an annoying ambient sound. I now have L80s. totally different ambient sound, much less tinny than unprocessed Gen16s. Still, I wouldn't amplify that l80 sound, just makes a more real ambient noise than smacking rubber. I have placed piezos on my l80s and am working through getting the settings just right. In low volume small gigs where sometimes the front row could hear the ambient noise of just hitting the rubber rolands over the amplified assigned sounds. It was all a concern. Now, at least the base sound is alot more cymbalish and less distinguishable as beating on a plastic banana. If you are thinking you can use the mics instead of piezos then connect them as triggers...hmmm, don't think that would work but.... Good luck, let us know.
        Vexed TD12 - DIY Snare, pdx100 toms, Piezoed Zildjian LV80s HH on DYI remote. KT-10 kick loaded on a RolaYamaHart mutant rack. Woody and the Twins - QSC HPR151 100lb wood cab sub, a pair of QSC K-12s as needed. Korg Wave drum, SPD-30 thru a Yamaha MG10XU mixer.

Comment

You can see some options here: https://youtu.be/9ykkTvPoHjk
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

Thanks for that - I certainly meant triggering L80's, but I was thinking about trigging off close mics rather than piezo - just because my L80's move around the drum room between my kit and my (preschool) son's kit. Plus he's extremely curious about wires at this point, and spends a lot of his play time in the music room reconfiguring my patch bay. If triggering from mics in software works, it'd be a beautiful solution.

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
              You can see some options here: https://youtu.be/9ykkTvPoHjk
              I didn't know we could trigger dual zones with the l80 and Jman triggers. I think I have found my new HH. I hate rubber HH.

Btw, after Allan's video, I checked the suggestions and found this drum-tec video where they used Gen16 pickups and L80 cymbals.... Not to my liking at all.

http://youtu.be/dULh_7vqCnk
              DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Learning more and more about this. What do guys think of Magnatrack stuff, mounted to L80s? I just picked up a set of L80s and my Magnatrack IZT trigger pack will be here next week.... way cheaper than the Stealth kits...? Very curious about all of this.
                Toontrack Superior Drummer / Reaper 5
                DIY hybrid kit (Sonor kit / Roland / Yamaha / Zildjian / etc)
                Roland TD-6V module
                youtube.com/chriscauldermusic

Comment

I don't know the magnatrack, but I'll put in a vote for the stealth triggers. I installed these on l80s last week, it took less than half an hour to do hh , crash and ride, including drilling the lower hh for the cable routing and the triggering is excellent.

I have just bought some myrk switches and generic piezo discs to have a go at a full diy on a splash and second crash and will report back when I'm done

Comment

Just read the inquiry on magnatrack, above. I purchased a set for my low volume cymbals a couple of months ago. I am not able to get them to work properly, unfortunately. The “triggering from the stand” works poorly, and the dynamics on the ride in terms of hard vs. soft hits seems non-existant. It is possible that I am doing something wrong with them, but have been tinkering with them to no avail. Frustratingly, my emails to customer service and my attempt at calling customer service have not resulted in any type of response. If others have installed them successfully and like them, I would be inclined to trust their experience rather than my own given that I am a very new e-drums user, so I share this fwiw.
                    Last edited by Jimdindc; 12-02-18, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

I didn't know we could trigger dual zones with the l80 and Jman triggers. I think I have found my new HH. I hate rubber HH.

Btw, after Allan's video, I checked the suggestions and found this drum-tec video where they used Gen16 pickups and L80 cymbals.... Not to my liking at all.

http://youtu.be/dULh_7vqCnk
                      I like the Gen 16 cymbal sound better than L80's with the pickups. The ring our more but the bad part is that annoying high overtone. Still, for live I deal with that because hitting rubber or a metal cymbal deadened with a trigger is far worse, imo. I insert a 15 band EQ, one for the hats, one for crash/ride and it helps a lot.
                      TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X