No more hot spots petition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frankzappa View Post
    I think they only have a bell piezo and the switch going around the entire cymbal. Even triggering across the whole cymbal. I have no clue how that works with the bell triggering.

My guess would be that the bell is activated on louder velocities that are hard to get unless you hit the bell directly and the sensitivity on the bell zone is probably much lower so you don't get much louder triggering.
    Exactly

Also most people does not know this , but on the 2box cymbals are also semi-chokeable , as u can partially mute with a quick grab to kill the attack , but let the overtones still sounding

Comment

I think Roland should just give some of you guys a job.. and the guys from VEX while they are about it... I spent alot of $$$ on my td30kvpro... all I want is plug and play... I dont want to to tweak.... is that to much to ask?

Comment

I have a Hart Dynamics Professional kit paired with a Roland TD-20 module fitted with the TDW-20 expansion board. I have never really found hotspots to be an issue in this setup, except maybe in a couple of instances in which one or two specific drum voices/sounds seemed to have a dynamic response profile that seemed to be somehow susceptible. My own conclusion is that the issue is mostly hardware (pad) related, with suitable head tension and module settings also playing a part of course. Once I sat in a store playing with a kit with Roland pads and the issue seemed a bit more obvious which I figured might be due to the very sharply pointed trigger foam but that is speculation on my part.

Comment

I have used both Hart and Roland pads with positional sensing. Here's my take:
          Roland - uses a cone-shaped foam to contact the head. This offers more "focused" positional sensing, but also has a stronger hot spot.
          Hart - uses a round cone "tower" (rod). Has more surface in contact with the head so the energy is less focused, or more "spread out over a larger area". It has less of a hot spot, but also not quite as god a positional sensing. The difference in hot spots is pretty dramatic. The difference is positional sensing isn't much. I vote for the Hart for overall performance.

Also try Pintech triggers. The're kind of a hybrid. They have a dense core (like the Roland) but a larger foam contact area (surrounding foam). I think they're the best of them all. Their only downside is they tend to wear out. The outer foam is somewhat fragile. Not horrible, but depending on your hitting strength and hours/week, you might change the snare about every 6 months, for about $10, not bad.
          Pearl Mimic Pro. Also, TD-11 triggering VSTs

Comment

WOW!! Way to resurrect an almost 3 year old thread!!! Anyone else care to update their findings from back then as to now?

K
            My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
            E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
            A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
            A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Getting back to the OP... count me in the "Roland should eliminate the hot spots" camp. It's almost 2016 and hot spots are alive and well in the current firmware of the TD-30. I've tried every configuration of trigger settings conceivable to eliminate the hot spots. The hot spots can be reduced somewhat, but they are *always* there. It's a major problem that prevents being able to just sit down and play drums. One must always be aware of the hot spots and try to avoid them. And, even when aware, one still gets odd notes jumping out at times that were unintended. Hot spots and machine gunning are two of the worst, long-standing defects / bugs in Roland's flagship V-Drums platforms. As I wrote in another thread, it's an embarrassment that Roland has failed to correct these problems for so long. These problems were present in the first, second, and third generation V-Drums, and soon we'll be heading into the forth generation. Anyone want to bet whether these problems will be solved in the TD-40?

Comment

Working...
              X