No more hot spots petition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more hot spots petition

Hey guys, since there is a thread about how to "solve" the hot spot problem I thought I'd make a thread about us who don't want to "solve" the problem. With all that positional sensing technology in the TD30 I'm sure there is a good way to detect when the stick is hitting the hot spot and reduce the velocity.

I vote for roland to make a firmware update or something and get rid of the hot spot altogether. We should not have to go around the problem and make a workaround that kind of reduces it. It's ridiculous that they haven't solved this irritating problem. They should have done it years ago.

Who's with me on this? Come on make this thread grow, maybe roland people lurk here once in a while and they might actually listen.

Oh, and a rule for this thread that must not be broken. You can not write: Read the once and for all hot spot sticky.

You could get a million "me too's" but Roland is just gonna do the same thing they have always done.....whatever they want...not what we "wish" for.
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I thought the whole point of having the top of the line module was to be able to tune it to whatever you want. Wouldn't removing the hotspot remove the customizing possibilities?

Perhaps a petition to make tuning out the hot spot a bit easier would be nice. I think with positional sensing technology, the module could have a simple adjustment that expands or contracts the "center" position of the drum. Right now they only have a "on/off" option. That's a bit crude for a module that lets you tune your compressor settings to the 1000th of a second.
      I think my work is done here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
        I thought the whole point of having the top of the line module was to be able to tune it to whatever you want. Wouldn't removing the hotspot remove the customizing possibilities?

Perhaps a petition to make tuning out the hot spot a bit easier would be nice. I think with positional sensing technology, the module could have a simple adjustment that expands or contracts the "center" position of the drum. Right now they only have a "on/off" option. That's a bit crude for a module that lets you tune your compressor settings to the 1000th of a second.
        On an acoustic snare most of the time I avoid anything but the center of the drum. I just avoid it on a digital drum as well so I turned it off. I can't hit the center because of the damn hot spot so avoiding positional sensing is harder than on an acoustic.

On a TD30 the positional sensing actually seems to add something and is useful to getting the right type of sound out of the drum. You know, you hit an acoustic drum a certain way to get the tone and amount of ring you want. A TD30 seems a step closer to that but IMO the TD20's pos sensing is just a gimmick.

Comment

The positional sensing does work on the TD-30, I will say that. I don't know what it is like compared to the TD-20, but it doesn't feel like a gimmick as you say it is on the TD-20. I just think its strange that there is only an on and off setting for positional sensing when you get to tune your compressor settings in 1/1000 of a second intervals. It just seems like a huge disparity between what is important and what is not. I really could care less if my compressor release setting is 647ms or 648ms Even if it is 1000ms instead of 647ms, I can't really hear a difference. But positional sensing only having an on and off setting? Seriously, that's it? Take it or leave it? That's the best you can do?
          I think my work is done here.

Comment

Compressors have always been ms adjustments. They have to be to work correctly.

Positional sensing is actually quite adjustable on the snare, using scan time, although I agree it should be a much, much finer adjustment if anybody expects it to work well (and keep working well) after you beat on the head for half an hour.

Changing the input sensitivity algorithm to deal with the hot-spot issue should not be a big deal at all for Roland. I too wish they would just do it and release a firmware update for all their modules.

Soccer stadium type chant might work, nothing else does?

Comment

I f.n second every second f.n word on this f.n subject. (pardon my French) It is, indeed, THE BIG ISSUE that has not been addressed so far. They charge you N larges, and then you gotta apply "THE workaround"... ridiculous. That's why I'm still "brainless"... what's the point? to spend that much?

We wanna play, not amuse ourselves with turning the knobs and pressing the buttons! But... wait... you suddenly hit the f.n (oops again)... what is that?.. oh, yeah... so-called "hot-spot", and you see the sound guy's eyes, and the guitarist gives you the yack-y face... duh.

so-o... What do they say about the Yamaha's silicone pads?.. no hot-spots?.. AT ALL? interesting!

Comment

for me the issue its more hardware related....

to me the only way that can improve its that someone makes a center sensor based pad , but with a wiiiiiiiiiide foam that touches every inch of the head , and its away in such a way that it doesnt have a place that is more sensitive than others.

That way , u get same response from each point in the head.

Maybe using several piezos wired togheter beneath the foam would work better even.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider View Post
                  for me the issue its more hardware related....

to me the only way that can improve its that someone makes a center sensor based pad , but with a wiiiiiiiiiide foam that touches every inch of the head , and its away in such a way that it doesnt have a place that is more sensitive than others.

That way , u get same response from each point in the head.

Maybe using several piezos wired togheter beneath the foam would work better even.
                  No, no, no! Don't add more crap to solve a problem. Nothing makes me more crazy.
                  More piezos? That'll just give you more hot-spots.
                  Foam pad the size of the drum? Yamaha.

If Roland can determine 'where' on the head you just hit, (by waveform analyses), to provide positional detection, AND they build compressors, expanders and limiters into their modules, it's certainly not a stretch at all to eliminate the hot spot.

The Simple Fix, IMO, is to put an adjustable compressor/limiter on the trigger input. It does work very well and I have no idea why Roland won't just do it.

Comment

With positional sensing the module should be able to detect centre hits and reduce the recorded velocity to combat the hot spotting. A log curve may interfere with playing harder accents, as you already have topped out the curve.

But then again, the Roland modules do other stuff extremely well, like correcting crosstalk. I have seen threads in here where experienced members neither can diagnose nor tell how to correct crosstalk, as they haven't experienced it, and almost don't know how it works.
                    As an Alesis users, I have an intimate relationship with crosstalk and how to correct it; both by dampening/tuning the rack and minute adjustments of the trigger parameters..

Comment

FrankZappa for President!!!
                      Hot spots are the main reason I won't upgrade to the TD30 same pony different colour same problem!
                      Some patches are terrible for Hotspots some are workable but only just!!
                      Come on Roland Fix it!!!
                      While you are at it make an update so that the SPD30 will work with the Vh-12 hi hat.please!
                      NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

I'd be happy to add in on this. Can't stand hot spots myself.
                        However, my PD-125 with the TD-30 and a few tweaks, bam - almost entirely gone.
                        I know they shouldn't exist, but you TD-30 owners can dial 90-95% of the hotspot out.
                        Not perfect, but better than in the past.

iPhone Tapatalk post

Comment

Originally posted by Shef View Post
                          They charge you N larges, and then you gotta apply "THE workaround"... ridiculous.

We wanna play, not amuse ourselves with turning the knobs and pressing the buttons!
                          You are missing the point. The point is that there is no workaround. I'd be happy to scroll through menus for a hot spot reduction option but there is none. You have to limit the response curve which isn't a solution at all. It just reduces the dynamics so you can't hear it but it's still there.

Mark drum has 4 piezos on their drums and they have a hot spot reduction algorithm. Don't know how it works but they still have an option. Roland adresses the problem by pretending it's not there.

Comment

like tazed, i have no hot spot problems snare or toms! it just takes careful editing.
                            Last edited by jammin777; 11-06-12, 10:27 AM.
                            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500,
                            BBE Sonic Maximizer, Promark

Comment

Reflection plate drums have no hot spots.

But, no PS either.

I have a hard time believing there's an easy fix for hot spots that Roland simply chooses not to implement. Sounds like they've made improvement though.
                              Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, ATH-M50s headphones

Comment

Working...
                              X