Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look at other modules!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at other modules!

As far as Im concerned, there are 3 main "pro" drum modules:
    *Roland TD10
    *Alesis DMPro
    *DDrum4

They are all great modules for different reasons eg:
    *TD10's V-drum editing capabilities
    *DMpro's ability to load any sound you want (use like a sampler)
    *DDrum4's 1000 velocity levels & ability to download new kits/upgrades free from their site.

Wouldn't it be great if they could put all of these features into the one module?

I would also like a USB port for easily connecting the module to any computer. This would be great for editing sounds, loading new sounds, installing upgrades, & also midi sequencing.

Digital outputs would also be great.

The only other thing I could ask for in a pro drum module is a lower price. Who seriously has this kind of money?
    I think if Roland droped the price just by $1000, then they would sell thousands more units & make up their loss anyway.

Originally posted by Albator
    Personnally I prefer my TD-8 to a DMPro...
    But the TD-8 is just a toy & not really a serious piece of equipment, so what I'm I talking about
    I was under the impression that the TD8 was a serious piece of equipment as well. And lots of folks seem to be gigging their TD6's. Hmmm....

BUT! If we are wishing, I suppose individual volume pots & outs for each trigger would make a nice TD8p (p=pro )
    My website...
    VCustom kit,
    TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
    HDI Cymbals.
    A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Im just wishing here.....nothing wrong with the TD8 (or TD6 for that matter) at all...I just prefer more than 4 outputs for giging & recording. Theyre both still great modules, I wouldnt really rate them as "pro" though.
      I was actually thinking of getting a TD8, but Im leaning a bit more in the favour of the DMPro at the moment just because of the extra 2 outputs.
      The TD8 is a bit easier to use though, & does sound a bit better...but I feel you can get a good sound out of pretty much any module if you play around with the setting for long enough....at the moment Im using an Alesis HR16 which is about as sh*t as they come, but im still happy with the sounds I've put together....just the triggering is a bit slow & velocity is crap. I dont gig with the HR16 though...just for practice.

Comment

And lest we not forget MIDI only supports 128 levels, including dead silence.. So any time you record MIDI from those Ddrums, what happens to that range? It drops to 1/8th what it was originally! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. And who can play a song straight through without wanting at least 1 note changed in some way shape or form?
        Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Originally posted by Shep2112
          And lest we not forget MIDI only supports 128 levels, including dead silence.. So any time you record MIDI from those Ddrums, what happens to that range? It drops to 1/8th what it was originally! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. And who can play a song straight through without wanting at least 1 note changed in some way shape or form?
          Good call!.....i never even thought of that
          I've only ever used the DDrum4 once....I thought the drum sounds were pretty good, except i couldnt find any good cymbal sounds......you probably can if u play around, thats just what I found in the short time I played with it.

I like the VDrums better anyway

Comment

this one goes to a thousand.
            -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Oh yeah????

But mine goes to Eleven (hundred!)...

My ultimate gig: Tour with TAP!
              -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

look if you keep folding it and folding it it never really fits does it...i mean it's a shame really...but i'm a professional and i'll rise above it wont i? hehe
                -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbes
                  TD-6+TMC-6 : 746$ (17inputs & 2 outputs)
                  What is a TMC-6? Some type of expansion for the TD-6?
                  My favorite hangout Rohs Street Cafe

Comment

So, instead of using one of the prepackaged drum sound modules, you can use this device to trigger sounds from another MIDI device?

Would this be a viable alternative to using standard drum module? I.E. do MIDI devices have better sounds than the Roland (or other) drum modules?

We have an Ensoniq keyboard that (I guess) is essentially a MIDI device. Could we use the TMC-6 to trigger MIDI sounds from the keyboard? (Would we want to do this?)

Pardon my ignorance!
                    My favorite hangout Rohs Street Cafe

Comment

Originally posted by blecrone
                      We have an Ensoniq keyboard that (I guess) is essentially a MIDI device. Could we use the TMC-6 to trigger MIDI sounds from the keyboard?
                      Yes.
                      (Would we want to do this?)
                      That would depend upon (a) the sounds you have available in your keyboard, (b) the polyphony capabilities of your keyboard and (c) personal taste. Note that you would lose the 'V'irtual editing capabilities (COSM) found in a VDrums module.
                      My website...
                      VCustom kit,
                      TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                      HDI Cymbals.
                      A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

You guys are piquing my curiosity:

1. is there somewhere on this vdrums.com site a discussion of pros and cons of the vdrums vis the ddrums, etc?

2. do the vdrums really sound better, or are they ****e with loads of effects and ambiance that improve their sound remarkably?

3. as to the claim that vdrums are position-sensitive on the drums, how exactly is this done where the drum triggers are all carrying their signals over simple tip/sleeve cables to the brain? or am i misinformed? anyway, i have not been able to find a believable explanation of how/if the position sensitivity of the vdrums actually works/exists, and how it's executed. my old simmons SDX kit actually had trigger zones on the heads, and thus the brain allowed manipulation of filter and pitch envelopes across the surface of the drums and cymbals. i haven't seen this parameter in the vdrums, which makes me suspicious of their claims of position sensitivity. how they can sense position with a single piezo under the drum head, transmitted on a +/- lead from the drum, is a mystery to me.

i'm a skeptic in need of enlightenment. anyone care to clue me in? would appreciate it. regards,

vixapphire

Comment

Originally posted by ruxx moniker
                          You guys are piquing my curiosity:

1. is there somewhere on this vdrums.com site a discussion of pros and cons of the vdrums vis the ddrums, etc?

2. do the vdrums really sound better, or are they ****e with loads of effects and ambiance that improve their sound remarkably?

vixapphire
                          I've racked my brains on this and am drawing a blank. Anybody recall any discussion on this???? Sounds like a good topic. Maybe we should devote a thread to it. I'd like to know more about these ddrums.

Wait a minute. Is that the topic which caused 6 black eyes, 2 murders and a deportation?

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

ironically, the session kit at the hollywood gc, where i spent a few hours friday evening lollygagging, has got a nice boothole through the kick drum where some moron got a little too happy with the pedal.

i was impressed with the improvements over the non-expanded td-10's of yesteryear. by the way, the floor model at chicago's halsted street gc is very clean, and is currently being offered complete and fully warranteed, etc. for under $4k. so, combined with the general settling of posted prices in the mid-$4k and below range, from posted $6k plus earlier this year, makes me think an upgrade is around the corner. and given the 5080's debut, there's no excuse to still be using the 2080-era sound generation technology.

then again, it may just be a niche enough market that it ain't worth it to significantly upgrade/release a replacement product more than once a decade. if this thing really came out in 1997, which i read somewhere but can't believe (why didn't I know about it sooner than 1999?!!!), they're almost at the 10-year point now... counting...

Comment

I have a TD8 and a TD10. Does that make me cooler?

Comment

Working...
                              X