Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me! I am torn!

I need some advice:

Has anyone played both the Yamaha DTXtreme, and the V-Drum Session kit? I need to deicde which one to get, or whether to take the Roland Box and Cymbals and the Yamaha Drums.

The Roland Sound Module is awesome is vastly superior i think, but the actual session drums are not as good at the DTXtreme.

Anyone got an opinion on what to do here?

Ben

I played both modules. The Yamaha isn't better than the Vdrum plus expansion board. In this case the DTXTreme even is a quite disappointing.

Cymbals is another story: the real thing is still the best.
    Robert

Comment

Originally posted by b0jf010:
      ...The Roland Sound Module is awesome is vastly superior i think, but the actual session drums are not as good at the DTXtreme.

Anyone got an opinion on what to do here?
      I have demo'd both ad nauseum. At first brush, the feel of the Yamahas can be more familiar, especially as most mesh Vdrums are tuned so poorly in stores I find. However, the triggering IMHO does not come close. Roland gets top marks with the TD-10exp. The mesh drums can be made to feel fantastic with some research and very little effort.

Also, I found the fact that the hardware wouldn't stay put on the Yammies a little irritating, but it could be drilled or replaced I suppose (not that the Roland hardware is great, but the new Session stuff at least does the job).

I see that you already are predisposed on the module somewhat. FWIW, I bought a Session kit mainly for the size, feel and sensitivity of the triggering. I use the module only a bit in favor of samples from an Akai for the mostpart. So it all boils down to your perspective and perceptions.

If I hadn't come to prefer the feel and response of the mesh, I would have gone with mylar over foam, but probably ddrum, as I actually prefer that module pound for pound (I think).

That said, if I were buying again today, I'd go the same route all things considered. For me, the Session played right and the sounds were good but not of any importance as I never intended to use them much. Some of the TD-10 functionality is brilliant, and other bits are gimmick and toys. However, it all plays marvelously together, and sounds and sequencing, effects, etc., I already had, so the Session was the right choice for me.

Comment

This is good. I have checked out the d-drum site, for the ddrum 4 kit, and the thing that strikes me most is the lack of rim triggers, only being present on the snare. The Hart Dynamics Cymbals also look awesome, though i dont quite get how they work.

I play tested the yamaha and roland v-drum, minus v-cymbals. They were both good, though the Roland had far more convincing sounds, esp. the cymbals. I however vastly preferred the 'Real Head' feel of the DTXtreme, which prompted the idea of a 'cut and paste' job as it were.

Simple Question: If you had 3,500, to spend on a completly electric kit which 4 piece cymbal, 6 piece drum, and brain, what would it be?.

It needs to be future proofed to a certain degree, though i realise the electric drum industry is as volatile as the computer Industry.

A Torn Ben.

Comment

Simple Question: If you had 3,500, to spend on a completly electric kit which 4 piece cymbal, 6 piece drum, and brain, what would it be?.
          I tested the Yamaha DTExtreme today and was hugely disappointed. I've never really cared for Yamaha modules, other than the DTS-70 trigger interface I use. As far as Roland, the TD-10 is the best module but I prefer the PD-80 8" pads.

To answer the question: TD-10 brain, V-Custom pads, Ddrum cymbals (if I absolutely have to be totally electronic...I prefer real cymbals) on a Gibraltar rack.
          "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

Those DDrum Cymbals look good, esp. the hi-hat, but the Session V-Cymbals have the multi triggering bow/bell/edge thing going for them. Also, the DDrum site doesnt give much insight into the more complex aspects of the cymbals (the dual-triggering, etc.) Do the DDrums play better than the V-Cymbals?

[This message has been edited by b0jf010 (edited December 31, 2001).]

Comment

Those DDrum Cymbals look good, esp. the hi-hat, but the Session V-Cymbals have the multi triggering bow/bell/edge thing going for them. Also, the DDrum site doesnt give much insight into the more complex aspects of the cymbals (the dual-triggering, etc.) Do the DDrums play better than the V-Cymbals?
              [This message has been edited by b0jf010 (edited December 31, 2001).]
              The ddrum cymbals can dual trigger as well (bell/edge) but use only 1 trigger for this. Do they play better? Mmmmm.... matter of taste. The material is quite stiff. Roland's cymbal pads are a bit more flexible since the're made of rubber.
              Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                Do they play better? Mmmmm.... matter of taste. The material is quite stiff. Roland's cymbal pads are a bit more flexible since the're made of rubber.
                I agree with that, you should play them both to assess feel. As far as triggering, the Session kit comes with the TD-10exp with V-cymbal control. The V-cymbal control I think makes a huge difference. If you don't have it, the V-cymbals trigger well but with it, I think they get the edge in triggering over everything currently available. The ddrums and other Roland pads trigger well, but I think there is notable difference.

Comment

Bojfo10,
                  If your interested in some degree of "future
                  proof" I would forget the DTXtreme. I'm sure
                  that's being retooled big time given it's
                  lack of sales. You'd be really ticked off
                  if you bought the Xtreme and then they
                  came out with the 2nd version which must
                  happen if the Xtreme is to continue to exist
                  at all.

Comment

Yeah i could see where that is coming from, but surely it is the actual module that would be updated, not the drum triggers. After all, Roland have had The 'TD' range of modules yet have kept a very similar drum trigger. I think this will probably happen with the DTXtreme.

As for the cymbals, i will have to get my store to get another ddrum in - i phoned to check and they sold it today, grrr. I think, however, the v-cymbals have won me over. Does the V-Cymbal controller come with the v-cymbals, or what happens there?

Comment

...Does the V-Cymbal controller come with the v-cymbals, or what happens there?
                      The TD-10 module that comes with many kits, does not include the TDW-1 upgrade card. If you buy a Session kit, the TDW-1 comes with it.

The TDW-1 expansion card (with V-cymbal control) is what works the magic with the V-cymbals. Without the TDW-1, the V-cymbals are just expensive triggers, with little else over other better triggers unless you really just love the feel and swing.

If you buy components separately, the TDW-1 does not come with the TD-10 automatically, nor with the V-cymbals. It does however come included with a complete Session kit.

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                        The ddrum cymbals can dual trigger as well (bell/edge) but use only 1 trigger for this. Do they play better? Mmmmm.... matter of taste. The material is quite stiff. Roland's cymbal pads are a bit more flexible since the're made of rubber.
                        Real cymbals are stiff. That's why I'd go with the Ddrum cymbals. I didn't like the feel of the V-Cymbals at all.
                        "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

Bojfo10,
                          In my opinion it is the triggers, or the heads, which will likely change on the Xtreme
                          when it is reincarnated. I mean if everyone
                          else, including Ddrum, can now use mesh heads
                          it would seem as if the time is probably near
                          for Yamaha to jump into the picture. There-
                          fore if you buy the Xtreme with those dead heads you'll be sorry later. The module, as
                          with all modules I'm sure, will have improve-
                          ments. How can Yamaha really compete, or Ddrum for that matter, with the V cymbals
                          when you're comparing them against the stiff
                          pieces of rubber that Yamaha offers or the
                          metal cymbals with a rubber pad slapped on them as with the Ddrum. I mean come on. I
                          don't know what the big deal is with these
                          electronic drum manufacturers that they can't
                          develop an E cymbal that swings. For cripes
                          sake it's not like we're asking them to build
                          a spacepod destined for some faraway galaxy.
                          As an acoustic drummer following this stuff
                          for years(way too many without jumping in)
                          I would strongly suggest avoiding the Xtreme in it's current form. It's hard to follow that up with a suggestion to wait for Xtreme
                          II since the developers at Yamaha have shown themselves to be incompetent dopes not even worthy of competing with Roland.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikster:
                            ...the developers at Yamaha have shown themselves to be incompetent dopes not even worthy of competing with Roland.
                            Now don't hold back. Actually I just bought a Yamaha Motif, which I believe to be the finest keyboard I have ever owned, (my Triton cannot carry its jock). So I don't think Yamaha is a threat to fold its tents just yet. However, when it comes to e-drums, Yammie really doesn't appear to have its eye on the ball. They could always hire me as a consultant, if they want to get back in the game. I'd love to help or even just see someone build something that would make Roland and ddrum have to earn a buck. Heck the ddrum folks obsess about the next module like that cult that worshipped the comet, and the Roland group has a pretty healthy wishlist too.

Just look at what Clavia and Roland's keyboards can do. All these companies give the smaller edrum market halfass attention. Some results end up better than others, but noone is working any overtime yet IMO. A killer upstart product might really give the whole thing a push in the right direction.

Comment

Roland Session Kit it is. Sold, to the man who knew he really wanted it all along. (didnt he?). Cheers for all the advice guys - much appreciated, and very informative/helpful...... to the V-Drum!!

Comment

Working...
                              X