Dear Roland,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Roland,

Upon purchasing your product, or any fully electronic drum set we are no longer just drummers, we become full on synthesizer players. SO PLEASE, give us the freedom that 100,000's of keyboard players demand! A stronger sequencer, with more sequence editing capabilities. Two effects processors! Allow us the ability to tweak in real time a variety of filters. Give us more midi options, a multi mode would be useful for example. And a cooler intro screen! Our eyes should light up EVERY time the thing turns on especially for the price.
    http://www.evolbeats.com

Originally posted by Prototype:
    Upon purchasing your product, or any fully electronic drum set we are no longer just drummers, we become full on synthesizer players.
    I just play drums, whether that's acoustic toms and cymbals or ddrum pads.
    Music was my first love...

Comment

Sure Roland, throw all that stuff in if you like (I know I'll never use any extra sequence stuff). But make us pay any more for it and I'll tell where you can stick your Vdrums!
      I am a drummer. Call me stupid but I just like to hit things!

[This message has been edited by Steveo the Devo (edited June 18, 2001).]
      Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

I just want a percussion version of the XV-5080, 8 expansion slots, multiple sample format import, fantastic sounds, PLUS the sequencer of the XV-88 combined with 16 dual-trigger inputs (and I mean TRUE dual-trigger inputs). Opulent sound editing options, whether it be for percussion or synth sounds.
        Just think, only taking one sound module on stage with me instead of 4, my rack (and my back) would be so grateful. I'd pay more for it, as well voluntarily, and I think all of you here would gladly pay more if you got something like that in return.
        Dear Roland, would that be so difficult, an XV-5080 with a built-in sequencer and 16 trigger inputs?

Stu
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

-Your not hitting drums your hitting keys on a modified keyboard.

-What kind of music have you got brewing up with all of those rack mounts? The only thing is, I donít think the XV-88 nor the 5080 has a sequencer. The XV-88 has an arpeggiator, but no real sequencer. Correct me if Iím wrong. But as far as the sound sculpting options those keyboards give you, I think weíre on the same page. All the filters and effects is what Iím big on, and none of that is much good without a better sequencer, for drumming at least. Throw in an LFO while Iím at it.

What is up with the delay times on the flanger/phaser/chorus settings!? They go by decibels of 10!!? I have to alter the tempo of my song to match my sub par effects processor? That is unheard of in the synth world.

Also, Distortion is an effect we need! I find it so hard to get a nice dirty sounding snare drum.

Ultimately I think Roland needs to make several different brains, each with itís own specialty. One for the knob tweakers, those of us who utilize the power of the sequence, and one for rockers. Who just want good drum sounds and a few effects.

[This message has been edited by Prototype (edited June 20, 2001).]

Comment

Prototype, the technology of electronic drums has and will continue to evolve. Roland has made one small step for drums and one giant leap for drummers.

--------------> *tossing in my 2 cents*

Jeff

Comment

Agreed.

-After all I would have never dreamed of any of this stuff if it werenít for what I already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Prototype:
                -Your not hitting drums your hitting keys on a modified keyboard.

Yup!

-What kind of music have you got brewing up with all of those rack mounts? The only thing is, I donít think the XV-88 nor the 5080 has a sequencer. The XV-88 has an arpeggiator, but no real sequencer. Correct me if Iím wrong. But as far as the sound sculpting options those keyboards give you, I think weíre on the same page. All the filters and effects is what Iím big on, and none of that is much good without a better sequencer, for drumming at least. Throw in an LFO while Iím at it.

I'm keyboarder, human DAT tape, drummer, percussionist and general fartbag in my band. I have (old gear alert!) 2 Akai S1000's (totally reliable workhorses), a Waldorf MicroWave and a JV-2080 in my rack, which I trigger from the TD-10. The XV-5080 would be ideal for me, since it reads Akai samples and the sound quality is so much better than what I currently use live.
                I remember reading that the XV-88 had a sequencer, I know the XV-5080 doesn't.

What is up with the delay times on the flanger/phaser/chorus settings!? They go by decibels of 10!!? I have to alter the tempo of my song to match my sub par effects processor? That is unheard of in the synth world.

No idea what the inspiration behind that was, I think it's ridiculous.

Also, Distortion is an effect we need! I find it so hard to get a nice dirty sounding snare drum.

How could they forget that, seriously? I mean, flanger, but no distortion?

Ultimately I think Roland needs to make several different brains, each with itís own specialty. One for the knob tweakers, those of us who utilize the power of the sequence, and one for rockers. Who just want good drum sounds and a few effects.

That could actually all be combined into one module with two basic settings, one with basic effects and limited sound editing for the rockers, and the other with the full-blown programming section.
                "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Working...
                X