Hardware and other such things. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware and other such things. . .

I have several major (to me) issues with Roland as pertains to the V-Pro kit:
    1. Dissolve the Ultimate Support partnership and get some steel hardware on the rack. My kit arrived with six pieces of plastic, broken, lying in the bottom of the box, and the sales person who gladly replaced the entire rack from their floor broke two more on the NEW rack while dissembling it. Steel, good American steel, that's what we want!
    2. For the price of this kit, a case should be included, hands down, including a bag for the rack. This simple consideration won't put Roland out of business.
    3. Don't waste my time and money with a lot of useless sound effect programs in my factory presets - I don't work for Warner Bros. cartoons (don't know anyone who does).
    4. A snake of some kind to corral this unruly herd of cables running rampant all over my kit would be nice and, again, an inexpensive consideration.

Oddly, someone seems to have had an ear open regarding the overall quality of Roland's manuals, as the V-Pro manual is very user-friendly, as is the TD-10 interface. A pleasant surprise!

Cheers!
    If you're not mad as Hell, you're not paying attention.

3. Don't waste my time and money with a lot of useless sound effect programs in my factory presets - I don't work for Warner Bros. cartoons
    Buy a Ddrum4. With this module you can load the sounds you want. I have only one bass drum, one good snare and some tom toms and deleted all the other sounds. It's a very flexible system.

Now with the new Yamaha DTXTreme there's another flexible module coming up. Seems that Roland is the only one to still bore us with their toy-sounds.
    Robert

Comment

It is rather weird that Roland tag on a "Professional" status and price tag to their flagship kit, and yet still endow it with the sort of preset kits designed to attract kids or those looking for home-keyboard sounds. Still, with a bit (make that a lot!) of editing over the past few days I'm getting close to the sort of kits I bought the thing for.

As for the rack, I agree. I had a Dixon rack for my old Simmons set, and I've nicked most of the clamps from that, they undo and "split" in seconds. Having said that, while they don't inspire confidence, none of my Roland clamps have broken or slipped during playing so far....

On the subject of cable routing, my rack came with a set of metal clips to hold cable, and velcro ties for bunching cables. Very useful and they work well. I still have a bunch of cables near the TD10 at the end of the rack, but I've stuffed them in my stick bag and hung the bag from the rack.

Comment

I understand where you're coming from regarding the cable thing... but a preformed snake from Roland is not the answer IMO because it would totally lock everybody into having to set their kits up exactly the same way. Numerous ways of dealing with the cable mess have been discussed here that work well. I personally prefer the freedom to set my kit up the way "I" want it, not the way Roland would want it.

Regarding the sounds, I think Roland just tries to put something in there for everyone. Some of it may not be stuff you'd use everyday; but hey, something strange and wierd might come in handy sometime. Sounds are very subjective, so nobody's going to put together any sound module where everyone is going to love every sound. Use what you like... ignore the rest.

Comment

Greetings,

Therack supplied with the TD-10 is anything but roadworthy. I am scared to death to move this thing for fear that more of these pipe clamps will break (and when replacing the broken ones break some others). I have purchased a Gibralter rack to play out with and eveything holds up great,setup after setup. It seems as though the plastic parts that Roland supplied with this rack are very brittle and unforgiving. This is a major flaw in an otherwise great set.

Comment

I got a V-Pro kit just a little bit ago, and was really annoying with the Rack as well. I have both an acoustic and an electric kit, and while The brain and pads from roland are amzing, their hardware is far from impressive. I found that using a Gibraltar rack and accompanying clamps, along with Pearl hardware, the kit is sturdy, and durable. I only use Pearl arms because I am anal about memory locking, something Roland didn't put much consideration into. Their clamps have the space for the locks, but dont give them out witht the kit. Come on Roland, with the clamps you have, the memory locks cost me $2 for all 3. And they were steel, not your purple, scrapy plastic.
            Roland can make electronics great, but, they really should make a deal with Gibraltar or something.

Comment

I finally uploaded some pictures of my v-drum setup to my review of the Gibraltar GRS rack. Check it out at http://www.vdrums.com/reviews/grsrack.html

------------------
              Eric Sands
              webmaster - vdrums.com

Comment

I found a use for all of those useless kits such as the "cartoon." Since the TD-10 comes with so many effects, and the ability to change each kit completely, I just changed them. Pick the different kits you want in the instrument list, including rims, and disable the pattern loops. Rename the kit, and you have another kit that you can use, gets rid of scrolling past "cartoon" and you don't need to buy the memory card to do this. And if ya wanna remember settings, just put them on the computer with the VKitTrans in the patches section.
                This webpage has it all. Except for free stuff, but I live in nice reality, so I'm still happy with it here. Sure beats rolandus.com!!

Comment

Gibraltar!!! Nuff said...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fretless:
                  [B]I have several major (to me) issues with Roland as pertains to the V-Pro kit:
                  1. Dissolve the Ultimate Support partnership and get some steel hardware on the rack. My kit arrived with six pieces of plastic, broken, lying in the bottom of the box, and the sales person who gladly replaced the entire rack from their floor broke two more on the NEW rack while dissembling it. Steel, good American steel, that's what we want!

Comment

Working...
                  X