Wireless module control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless module control

My search brought up only a mention of aD5 getting this feature with some next update, but it seems other big names are not even speculating this. Now that eDrums appear on live gigs regulary, wouldn't it be normal to have wireless control over some basic functions at least? Lately, even budget digital mixers rely on this heavily (my RCF M18 has no analog controls), so it seems strange that between serious flagships such as td/dtx/mimic there's no steps taken in this direction... Just a thought.
    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
    •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
    •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Any module with USB connection can have wireless, just update firmware and use usb\wireless dongle.
    Last edited by Chris K; 07-11-19, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I'm not actually sure I understand what you're suggesting.

The module is the heart. It simply holds the settings that control the incoming pad signal. Thus, manufacturers will use hard-wired connectivity until latency can be dropped to near-zero levels AND be reliable. Manufacturers have to consider actual wireless dependency long-term. Some people cannot even keep their phones connected to wifi. What manufacturer wants to set up a gigantic call center for that type of support?

So, I guess I'm asking, why do we need it? What control are you referring to? I can't really think of anything beneficial. I guess I'm just looking for more info on what players might desire.
      Alan
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
        I'm not actually sure I understand what you're suggesting.

The module is the heart. It simply holds the settings that control the incoming pad signal. Thus, manufacturers will use hard-wired connectivity until latency can be dropped to near-zero levels AND be reliable. Manufacturers have to consider actual wireless dependency long-term. Some people cannot even keep their phones connected to wifi. What manufacturer wants to set up a gigantic call center for that type of support?
        I agree wireless can be good for limited application, but not connected internet - clouds based and these stuff is nightmare, when there is IP problems starts, and these stuff will only make problems and will require tons of supports, it require drivers on many OS version, also when OS is updated you might have trouble suddenly, OS setting change, firewall, antis virus locking it etc..

Go figure even simple usb with computer can make issue- hence lots of software - vst world is not user freindly.
        Last edited by Chris K; 07-11-19, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry if I've been unclear, I reffered to wirelessly controling the basic mix of a module in a live situation. Suppose you have a ekit going stereo to FOH, wouldn't it be nice for a soundguy/any band member to be able to adjust the levels and maybe eq of the elements in a kit from the front? Many bands run stereo drums and do their sound by them selves, I think it would be very useful to have that kind of remote control on a gig.

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
          Any module with USB connection can have wireless, just update firmware and use usb\wireless dongle.
          I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Concerning the wireless networks, they can be glitchy, but recently most devices (such as digital mixers, I've mentioned) tend to be reliable enough. If a 400 mixer I use has no issues with this, and presumably has a fairly simple hardware/software to execute all the functions, why wouldn't a flagship ~2000 module have something similar for at least its mixer section?

So again, I'm talking about basic mix/sound control. An ipad or android device doing this is already a normal thing, but there are other ways stuff can interface wirelessly such as cycling computers, indoor trainers and even road bike groupsets that have proprietary protocols to avoid interference and provide safe and secure connections. A dedicated remote controller for a module could be a usefull optional accessory?
          •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by this?
            Any module on the market with USB slots available on the module, can have the capability to have wireless feature with firmware update and wireless usb adapter dongle added https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ongle&_sacat=0.

Comment

Any module on the market with USB slots available on the module, can have the capability to have wireless feature with firmware update and wireless usb adapter dongle added https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ongle&_sacat=0.
              What can one do with this dongle? What can the firmware update provide?

Comment

What can one do with this dongle? What can the firmware update provide?
                Firmware update can allow wireless setup and software update, dongle allow wireless connection to others wireless device, Ipad\ Cell\ computer etc..
                Last edited by Chris K; 07-11-19, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Firmware update can allow wireless setup and software update, dongle allow wireless connection to others wireless device, Ipad\ Cell\ computer etc..
                  And this wireless connection to other devices allows for controling the module? There is no mention of this in any manual that I know of, nor in any topics that I found here... Again, to be clear, I'm not talking about eg. TD30 wireless conectivity that allows for sound output to be recorded, or the TD17 bluetooth connectivity. Controling the (mixer) functions of a module is not something I came across, pardon my ignorance...

Comment

I'm sorry if I've been unclear, I reffered to wirelessly controling the basic mix of a module in a live situation. Suppose you have a ekit going stereo to FOH, wouldn't it be nice for a soundguy/any band member to be able to adjust the levels and maybe eq of the elements in a kit from the front? Many bands run stereo drums and do their sound by them selves, I think it would be very useful to have that kind of remote control on a gig.
                    I could see usage like that, but probably very few actually using it. It's not a bad idea... for stereo runs, and if you want to be destructive to settings every show... but to do this properly, you should really be running multi and letting the engineer do his job mixing.
                    Alan

Comment

And this wireless connection to other devices allows for controling the module? There is no mention of this in any manual that I know of, nor in any topics that I found here... Again, to be clear, I'm not talking about eg. TD30 wireless conectivity that allows for sound output to be recorded, or the TD17 bluetooth connectivity. Controling the (mixer) functions of a module is not something I came across, pardon my ignorance...
                      Yes. There is no mention anywhere because most company won't do it, would require works on firmware and works on software for Ipad\Cell\ computer + all supports+ drivers it's lots of stuff to allow wireless.

Ps: Roland don't have any software for vdrum since decade and are often not supported product only for bug.
                      Last edited by Chris K; 07-12-19, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

I could see usage like that, but probably very few actually using it. It's not a bad idea... for stereo runs, and if you want to be destructive to settings every show... but to do this properly, you should really be running multi and letting the engineer do his job mixing.
                        This, in part, was the thing behind my idea. As I mentioned in the thread 'how good your v-drums really sound?', not all sound guys are able to mix edrums well, and anyway I think there's quite a few situations where even a competent engineer would have to rely on the drummer to adjust the sound (multiple bands on stage), and a remote would be helpful...

Well, considering the number of us talking about it so far, I must admit that it seems less interesting to people than I thought... I'll label the idea 'too far ahead its time', next project 'wireless eTambourine'. Why don't we still have this on the market?

Comment

This, in part, was the thing behind my idea. As I mentioned in the thread 'how good your v-drums really sound?', not all sound guys are able to mix edrums well, and anyway I think there's quite a few situations where even a competent engineer would have to rely on the drummer to adjust the sound (multiple bands on stage), and a remote would be helpful...

Well, considering the number of us talking about it so far, I must admit that it seems less interesting to people than I thought... I'll label the idea 'too far ahead its time', next project 'wireless eTambourine'. Why don't we still have this on the market?
                          To be honest, the absolute best and consistent way of reproducing sound faithfully from a module at a gig is to perfect the mix in a decent sized room once as an entire band, and run something like a dbx driverack at every gig. Back when I was gigging, this is how I did it. I set my kit up for a large rehearsal when we were ready to start gigging, EQ'd the room with the driverack, and then played a module-recording of myself and tweaked my sound the one time. Sure, that first setup process involved some walking back and forth for a bit to get certain frequencies dialed in with the PA itself; but if you have trustworthy HPs to trust during kit creation, then the driverack should help you achieve damn near an identical sound through a good quality PA. Once that process was done, we used the dbx driverack to EQ every venue we played. (it's literally like 30 seconds of pink noise & done) This allowed us to faithfully recreate that complete band mix everywhere we played. It seriously the best solution I ever found. Another key for small giggers is to run sound properly. You should really only run drums, keys & vox through a PA, and make your bassist/guitarist play off the stage. This ensures clean sound that won't muddy up the drums in small venues. So many people don't know about those driveracks and how powerful they are. I wouldn't gig without one. By the way, they double as feedback suppressors. Annndddd... especially for you, they are wirelessly controlled these days too.
                          Alan

Comment

I've been using that kind of setup for many years with my ex band. We had a full PA system with delay lines and driveracks, soundchecks were aided by running recorded stuff, I was co-engineering with the soundguy... Agreed, that's the way to go. Modules have direct outs for a reason, outboard mixing is more powerfull than in-module, but still there are situations where you have limited inputs, no soundguy, various PA setups, multiple bands and so on. Even on the cruise ships where I play now, with solid gear and competent crew, most often running drums in stereo comes as a faster, more practical solution in most situations. Changing venues here does not always allow for enough time for extensive soundchecks (a different topic), and often mixers have limited inputs. My idea was to aid the budget gigging market by having a more practical solution in absence of a more 'proper', high-tier environment.

Comment

Some good points in that.
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X