VSTs (Hopefully in the right forum?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSTs (Hopefully in the right forum?)

Have been playing professionally on e-drums (as well as acoustic drums) pre-midi. Started with Pearl analog in the late 70s (Actually way before that with Fox Electronics where I assisted them in some drum development! (Sorry some self-aggrandizement! My bad!)

Have owned a few VDrum kits and currently:

TD 11KV + MacBookPro + Zendrum + midi Keyboard + BFD + Battery 3 & 4

All is groovy. BUT!!!

Wouldn't it be really wonderful if Roland and VExpressions put out software instruments where us drummers (Guys that play drums into Logic vs program IN Logic) could trigger the wonderful and lovely Roland/Vex sounds in Logic as a software instrument without having to record the audio from a Midi track of the external Midi instrument.

Make an old guy happy before he dies, ok?

Mac Book Pro - High Sierra.

Logic Pro X with M-Audio Keyboard, Zendrum, TD 11 KV, V Expressions, Native Instruments - Battery 3 & 4, BFD, EZ Drummer, Aubit Samples.

Iím not sure there would be much interest in this. These packs are brilliant at getting the most out of what are poor sounds on the Roland modules. They just donít compare to a good vst like SD3 etc. I canít see the point in it. Just my opinion though.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I hear ya ... recently was discussing this with a tech at the local music store - he mentioned something about Roland dipping a toe into the VST market when they purchased a company years ago ... but have abandoned it. I don't remember the company the tech mentioned?

The main issue I have with the EZD and SD3 - notwithstanding the prices - they are just fine for programming drums I assume. They are not that great if you are recording and "playing" the drums - especially with my TD11 KV and set up (See below)

I tried the EZ drummer demo and it did not work well with my set up at all horrible latency - more than likely would need a new Mac system. I did, however, replace my hard drive with a new SSD - really boosted the response and speed of my 2010 2.66 i7 with 8 gigs RAM - but when I wanted to demo EZ Drummer again with the replacement drive it wouldn't let me because I had already tried it.

I contacted them explaining the issue re the replaced drive. Basically - from them ... NO. You can't. Full stop.

So before I drop close to $400 (Canadian) I really would like to know it works?

Also I just really, really LOVE my VEX sounds on my VDrums - I tweaked them even more to what they did and it sounds just AMAZING. About perfect for what I want! But having to record audio after the fact is a HUGE slowing down of my production process.

Logic Pro X with M-Audio Keyboard, Zendrum, TD 11 KV, V Expressions, Native Instruments - Battery 3 & 4, BFD, EZ Drummer, Aubit Samples.

Comment

Your mac would probably be ok if you got an external audio interface. Did you drop the buffers at all? Try the SSD5 free kit and try my suggestions. If you can get the latency down then could be worth a shot. There is nothing wrong with you kit for triggering vsts. The onboard sounds are not going to sound good on a recording no matter what you do. That is for a realistic kit sound though. If your not trying to reproduce that then they are ok.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

AD2 also has a (limited) demo.
          I'm trying to remember, there was a free kit offered by a microphone company a few years back that sounded pretty nice....
          Got it... from Sennheiser:
          https://en-us.sennheiser.com/drummica

The latency was not your computer or EZDrummer, but the settings you had with the interface you were using.

Based on your posts, I can only imagine you were using the Mac's Core Audio output.

I've had my 2008 MBP for many years (motherboard died out last year) and I was still able to have low latency with SD2 on it.
          DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

my macbook is running sierra 10.12.6 and handles SD3 no problem. you can see the external interface i use with my macbook below. there are also plenty of recommendations for different interfaces on other threads. unlike the td11, i don't have the option of USB direct to computer with my module. i use SD3 for playing both e-drums and zendrum, and prefer it to playing with the td9 module and stompblock respectively. (but that's just me.)

i can run my zendrum straight from the mergebrick into the MIDI IN of the interface - simple. what i actually do:

zendrum into stompblock, MIDI OUT of stompblock to MIDI IN of interface

interface connects to macbook (running SD3) through USB

audio out of stompblock to DBR10

audio out of interface to DBR10

hit MUTE and THRU on stompblock which acts as an almost-instant back-up if anything in the macbook fails / stalls / freezes (which hasn't happened yet). i only have this as a back up for gigs - for home use you could just use the mergebrick no problem
            E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

Thanks all ... I have been using a Steinberg CL1 (Now owned by Yamaha) for a while now I borrowed MOTU just to see if this older interface was the issue? No real difference. The latency I see is - no matter what I do with cache and low latency mode - the VDrums and the MBP with only 8 Gigs RAM ... and it is an older MBP (2010)

Midi is fine.
              Zendrum no issue
              But triggering any VST or Battery or BFD ... not very good.

After I record the midi I can trigger whatever I want and that is fine - it is the "playing" the VSTs or plugins .

I think it is the analogue (ie hitting the drums) being converted to digital that is somewhat of a bottleneck on the Vdrums - the analogue to digital on the Zendrum is no issue but an entirely different process. touch vs piezos

Anyway ...

Buying lottery tix ... new MAc New Vdrums ... All sorts of toys ...

Or just spin around in my seat and play my acoustic drums!!

thanks

Last edited by The Mose; 06-05-19, 04:02 PM.

Comment

You mentioned your gear, but you didn't say anything about the settings you are using.
                Whats your sample rate and your buffers at?

It's not the gear, it's in the settings that the latency will go down.
                DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

[QUOTE=
                  Buying lottery tix ... new MAc New Vdrums ... All sorts of toys ...
                  Or just spin around in my seat and play my acoustic drums!!
                  thanks
                  [/QUOTE]

Win the Lottery. Get a Mimic Pro. Monitor from MPM and record MIDI data simultaneously. One MIDI cable, no audio cables, no hassle, infinite remixes. Phenomenal playability and VST quality sounds. No latency.
                  Last edited by Howstamychi; 06-09-19, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Well maybe solved? At least at first blush. Will be digging in for a week or so to come.

Just bought EZ Drummer 2

I am very impressed. Everything triggers as promised.

Have done some preliminary testing ... old tracks swapped Logic drums & Batter 3 & 4 and VDrum recorded audio for a bunch of EZ Drummer patches

Did a take or two on a jazz track I did a while back ... sounds great using standard drum setting and then tweaking with tuning, type of drum(s) and EQ and mixer in EZ2

Pretty impressed. No latency. Full stop.

Amazing.

Comment

yup, even with my dumpy used laptop and decade-old interfaces, i still was able to run ez drummer 2 without latency. i wasn't playing it, though. i was just punching in midi with a pad. sounds great. can't see why anyone would rather have their module's sounds, for the most part. maybe this coming weekend i'll be able to put everything together and see if i can "play drums" using my new multipad set up, with a bass, snare and hihat trigger. that would be the dream, right there. if ez drummer cooperates.

Comment

Working...
                      X