Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland join forces with....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Most lay consumers can't tell the difference between Roland sounds and VST. I personally think it's night and day. Even with VEX, the modules sound 20 years old to me.

    You vote with your feet. Roland obviously sell a shedload of entry level kits that are good for young drummers looking to give this as a go for a hobby. The investment is less risky than acoustic drums because the resale value of electronic parts is higher, and you can get an electric starter kit for the same price as an acoustic one. When you combine that it is smaller, more portable, less noisy and perhaps has decent resale value then naturally first time buyers, parents etc. are going to go for an electric kit over an acoustic one which is still seen as a bit of an instrument, while perhaps an entry level e-Kit is still a bit of a 'toy'.

    The only way to change practices is to vote with your feet. Don't buy Roland gear if you want to make a big difference. More and more, there are good alternatives. There's no particular reason to confine yourself to Rolands pads or Cymbals as all of these have cheap DIY options, and other brands offer pretty good alternatives (esp ATV cymbals now, but Yamaha's made pretty good 2 zone crashes even on Roland modules). There is also the used market to consider before buying new. Where it becomes trickier is the module, where the options are less clear. Availability is a problem in some instances, and Roland have such a following amongst E-Drummers that I think most people looking to get into it, who have done their research perhaps get a bit nervous about buying anything else since there is so much community experience with Roland modules.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mrantarctica View Post
      Most lay consumers can't tell the difference between Roland sounds and VST. I personally think it's night and day. Even with VEX, the modules sound 20 years old to me.

      You vote with your feet. Roland obviously sell a shedload of entry level kits that are good for young drummers looking to give this as a go for a hobby. The investment is less risky than acoustic drums because the resale value of electronic parts is higher, and you can get an electric starter kit for the same price as an acoustic one. When you combine that it is smaller, more portable, less noisy and perhaps has decent resale value then naturally first time buyers, parents etc. are going to go for an electric kit over an acoustic one which is still seen as a bit of an instrument, while perhaps an entry level e-Kit is still a bit of a 'toy'.

      The only way to change practices is to vote with your feet. Don't buy Roland gear if you want to make a big difference. More and more, there are good alternatives. There's no particular reason to confine yourself to Rolands pads or Cymbals as all of these have cheap DIY options, and other brands offer pretty good alternatives (esp ATV cymbals now, but Yamaha's made pretty good 2 zone crashes even on Roland modules). There is also the used market to consider before buying new. Where it becomes trickier is the module, where the options are less clear. Availability is a problem in some instances, and Roland have such a following amongst E-Drummers that I think most people looking to get into it, who have done their research perhaps get a bit nervous about buying anything else since there is so much community experience with Roland modules.
      What do you mean by "vote with your feet" i find this confusing? Do you mean use your feet to run away from roland?
      ATV AD5 module,vh11, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,rt30 triggers on toms and bass drum and rt10 on snare,bassdrum is set aside right now and using kd120 to save space

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by demonocus View Post

        What do you mean by "vote with your feet" i find this confusing? Do you mean use your feet to run away from roland?
        vote with your feet. to show your opinion by leaving an organization or by no longer supporting, using, or buying something: "When the price of skiing doubled, tourists voted with their feet and just stopped going."

        In other words, if you don't want to support Roland, just don't follow them. Walk away. Go somewhere else, to another brand...
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

          vote with your feet. to show your opinion by leaving an organization or by no longer supporting, using, or buying something: "When the price of skiing doubled, tourists voted with their feet and just stopped going."

          In other words, if you don't want to support Roland, just don't follow them. Walk away. Go somewhere else, to another brand...
          Living in canada i never heard that before,i have heard vote with your wallet which means don't buy from a company ie; don't want to support roland vote with your wallet and buy from another company.So i guess vote with your feet pretty much means the same thing as vote with your wallet.
          ATV AD5 module,vh11, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,rt30 triggers on toms and bass drum and rt10 on snare,bassdrum is set aside right now and using kd120 to save space

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by demonocus View Post

            Living in canada i never heard that before,i have heard vote with your wallet which means don't buy from a company ie; don't want to support roland vote with your wallet and buy from another company.So i guess vote with your feet pretty much means the same thing as vote with your wallet.
            Similar, although the wallet thing is better because in these cases we are talking about buying Roland products.

            One way or another though, the only way to make a company change what they do is alter demand. It won't be cost effective for Roland to make or sell drum products that nobody wants. Part of this is how the community of users react. I usually try to advocate going the 2nd hand route combined with DIY'ing some parts because I think it is cheaper and just as good quality. Whether we can really change what Roland does, not sure, but we can try. As I said before, Roland is a bit like Apple in this regard, they have a lot of users who swear by their stuff and lets be honest, for many of the products - you can't go wrong with a Roland and you do generally get what you pay for (e.g. cymbals, hi-hat etc.).

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by mrantarctica View Post

              Similar, although the wallet thing is better because in these cases we are talking about buying Roland products.

              One way or another though, the only way to make a company change what they do is alter demand. It won't be cost effective for Roland to make or sell drum products that nobody wants. Part of this is how the community of users react. I usually try to advocate going the 2nd hand route combined with DIY'ing some parts because I think it is cheaper and just as good quality. Whether we can really change what Roland does, not sure, but we can try. As I said before, Roland is a bit like Apple in this regard, they have a lot of users who swear by their stuff and lets be honest, for many of the products - you can't go wrong with a Roland and you do generally get what you pay for (e.g. cymbals, hi-hat etc.).
              Agreed
              ATV AD5 module,vh11, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,rt30 triggers on toms and bass drum and rt10 on snare,bassdrum is set aside right now and using kd120 to save space

              Comment

              Working...
              X