Mimic-like percussion pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic-like percussion pad

Wouldn't it be sweet to have a percussion pad (usual multi-zone board) with abilities for multilayer sampling or at least something similar to mimic and other modern modules? I'm imagining a board with maybe 6-8 small mesh zones and 3-4 rubber edge triggers, multilayer samples, support for additional sounds, 4-8 GB RAM, and a no fuss interface (no need for touch I reckon). The thing I miss the most in the current lineup, multilayers aside, is the sequencer. Is it a big hurdle to integrate a midi seq with audio samples? Importing pre-recorded loops is okay, but we all suffer from tempo drift issues and poor sync abilities in this scenario. A midi seq would solve so many problems, and with this new VST host architecture, we are close to getting abletone/fruity/reason functionality on our devices also, right?
    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
    •SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
    •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

On the other hand, is the Multi-12 something that comes close to what I'm talking about? I've never been a yammie fan, and I've never tried or heard the multi12, but I've red some old reviews recently and realized that I maybe missing out! Could the lack of storage be compensated with midi sequences triggering one shot samples? Should I take this to the products forum? Should I browse through all 100 search result pages to find that this has been a long solved question?
    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•

Comment

Multi12 is the dog's danglies. It's the most complete all-rounder. IF you need more sample space for firing off backing tracks rather than just percussion samples, then simply MIDI a sampler off it. A Multi12 + (say) a TM2 is still cheaper than an SPDsx and far more functional.
      The Multi12 is basically a full DTX700 drum module with 12 pads stuck on it, whereas an SPDsx is a sample-player with pads stuck on it.

(I either hang a TM2 or SP404 off mine, depending on needs)
      Last edited by electrodrummer; 06-25-18, 08:50 AM.
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
        Multi12 is the dog's danglies. It's the most complete all-rounder. IF you need more sample space for firing off backing tracks rather than just percussion samples, then simply MIDI a sampler off it. A Multi12 + (say) a TM2 is still cheaper than an SPDsx and far more functional.
        The Multi12 is basically a full DTX700 drum module with 12 pads stuck on it, whereas an SPDsx is a sample-player with pads stuck on it.

(I either hang a TM2 or SP404 off mine, depending on needs)
        Sounds cool! Also sounds strange that after almost ten years, there hasn't been any successor to it. Is it that good that no one could improve on it or was it too specific for a wider audience? Anyhow, trying it out will be a challenge, since I have no clue where to find one. Maybe I'll order one anyway, I just hope I was clear with the question about the sequencer. This could balance out the shortage of memory for me. The four layer pads also sound close to my original wish... Well, back to research. Thanx for the good tip!

Comment

. ..
          Last edited by MilosDrummer; 06-26-18, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Try reverb.com for dtx-m12

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post
              ...or was it too specific for a wider audience...

If anything, it is/was too generic. It can do - if anything - too much! It'll even do HandSonic stuff....
              (besides, Roland has become the iPhone or Beats headphones of ekits, if you know what I mean....)
              Last edited by electrodrummer; 06-26-18, 04:00 PM.
              Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Comment

Wicked stuff, no idea how I missed out on this device, probably because yamaha e-drums are poorly advertised and hence not realy used in my country by pros... That is also the reason why I reckon it's hard to find for me.

That being said, and to un-derail this conversation back to being a whishlist, I would love to see a new and improved version of this nifty gadget. A bit more storage space, improved interface and controls, USB or even a wireless connection and a computer software or an app to get things organized. The list will probably get even longer, once I start using it... And I know I'll use the crap out of it

Thanx again!

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post
                    USB or even a wireless connection and a computer software or an app to get things organized.
                    Someone want a USB connection and an app? Here you go....(free)

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...uch/index.html

Last edited by electrodrummer; 06-27-18, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Someone want a USB connection and an app? Here you go....(free)

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...uch/index.html

Wow! I'm not an apple guy, but I'd take that bullet over fiddling with yammie interface. All this with a '09. module?! I'm glad to find this gem and ashamed finding it this late.

Comment

Big problem in this device is 64mb memory imports that is not to understand, don't ask me to take picture in 512x512 when today we are getting in 4k that is just ridiculous.

Comment

can this thing plays files [wav/mp3] directly from the .. ipad ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                            Big problem in this device is 64mb memory imports that is not to understand, don't ask me to take picture in 512x512 when today we are getting in 4k that is just ridiculous.
                            I get that, but in my situation it might not matter much. Most of my spdsx storage holds audio loops (and some samples that just hang there, cause why not ). The midi seq feature on the Multi solves this issue, since midi files are miniscule size, and most of my loops are not song-specific and/or hold mostly sounds that can be used from the one-shot or synth library. One problem could be that it can hold up to 50 user patterns, if I'm not wrong? I'm also still not sure if some information is correct about using a flash drive as a storage expansion?

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                            can this thing plays files [wav/mp3] directly from the .. ipad ?
                            What I saw in the video electrodrummer was kind to share is that it can. Not sure which formats are supported, but very cool app anyway.

Lastly, I'm still not sure if this thread is going off topic, so appologies in advance and thanx for the great input!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                              No argument. SO, just MIDI a TM2 or SP404 or any other sampler off it if you need to play entire backing tracks or whatever. Ultimate flexibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X