Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things Roland need to release after Pearl’s May 2nd

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Things Roland need to release after Pearl’s May 2nd

    Given DW’s product release and what Pearl will release coming up on May 2nd, I have some products I wish Roland would go ahead and release: (in order)

    1) 14” Tom pad for the 20/30/50K line and 30/50 KV line... we have a 14” snare, shouldn’t be that big of a deal

    2) the long awaited and rumored 14” hi-hat (which is most likely digital)

    3) maybe it’s just me, but I would rather buy the whole 22” bass together from Roland (with the same finish) versus just the kit... maybe it is my OCD, but I want it to match...

  • #2
    I don’t expect any of those. Maybe we’ll see a DPHH with a new kit release in a few years.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

    Comment


    • #3
      You don’t think Roland will release anything in order to get some buzz back on them, given the new releases from DW and Pearl? If they would just release some add-one, they don’t have to rush thru to a new set..

      Comment


      • #4
        Japanese business culture is quite different than the west. Their development schedule is planned out many years in advance. Given their historical habits, and the fact they’ve never been a “reactive” competitor, I just don’t see it. They have their process, and they stick to it. That’s not to say they’ll do something different when the day comes they get knocked off their top spot.

        All that said, their main focus these days is hybrid - period.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bworkman View Post
          1) 14” Tom pad for the 20/30/50K line and 30/50 KV line... we have a 14” snare, shouldn’t be that big of a deal
          Can't you just use the snare pad as a tom pad

          or does it not have the hardware for rack mounting
          Dual Alesis Module Drum Set (DM10(BlueJay)+DM8+Trigger iO), Dual Layer Tennis Ball Drum Riser
          Shure SE215 IEM's, Simmons DA50 Amp, Alto Professional ZMX862 Mixer, Tama SpeedCobra Pedals, Vic Firth 7AN Sticks, Roc-N-Soc Original Throne

          Comment


          • #6
            bworkman wrote:
            1) 14” Tom pad for the 20/30/50K line and 30/50 KV line... we have a 14” snare, shouldn't be that big of a deal.
            I'm assuming you mean an analog 14 inch pad. 14 and 16 inch analog pads would be even better. This would even out the V-Drums pad lineup and solve the "acoustic sizes" problem, because Roland already offer 10 and 12. I can see Roland and non-Roland kit owners being very interested in these.

            bworkman wrote:
            2) The long awaited and rumored 14” hi-hat (which is most likely digital).
            Like the pads above, a set of 14 inch hats and 18 and 20 inch three-zone cymbals (useful for ride or crash purposes), all analog compatible, would really round out the Roland pad lineup. For this to work, Roland would have to address price. I don't see a 20 inch ride for $1,000 being a huge seller, but if priced around $150 to $200, it might fly off the shelves. Ditto for the hats. A $1,000 pair of hats isn't going to be a big seller. If Roland could sell a cymbal pack with 14 hats, 18 inch crash, and a 20 inch ride, all for $500, they'd be onto something.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by soccerdude84 View Post
              Can't you just use the snare pad as a tom pad?
              Roland's existing 14 inch snare is digital and only works with the TD-50. The pad is useless to anyone who doesn't have / doesn't want a TD-50 module.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                All that said, their (Ed: Roland's) main focus these days is hybrid - period.
                This truly surprises me. The primary application where I see e-drums used is noise-restricted environments. (At home practice in shared living spaces. Churches. Etc.) I don't know a single drummer who is looking to make their e-drums acoustically louder / nosier. And for those drummers using acoustic drums and gigging around town, none that I know are looking to complicate their setups with electronics. Perhaps there is a market for hybrid drumming among drummers playing regularly in large concert halls, but for mere mortals, I don't see hybrid drumming as a large, untapped market.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post

                  Roland's existing 14 inch snare is digital and only works with the TD-50. The pad is useless to anyone who doesn't have / doesn't want a TD-50 module.
                  Then I was confused by the post

                  He should've just said "a 14 inch pad that isn't digital"
                  Dual Alesis Module Drum Set (DM10(BlueJay)+DM8+Trigger iO), Dual Layer Tennis Ball Drum Riser
                  Shure SE215 IEM's, Simmons DA50 Amp, Alto Professional ZMX862 Mixer, Tama SpeedCobra Pedals, Vic Firth 7AN Sticks, Roc-N-Soc Original Throne

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by soccerdude84 View Post

                    Then I was confused by the post

                    He should've just said "a 14 inch pad that isn't digital"
                    My original post said 14” Tom pad... which I mean to be analog (as the other toms are). I really just want some additional sizes, I would also love an 8”, so I could have an 8,10,and 12 up too and a 14” down.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      pearl's may 2nd what?
                      TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                        This truly surprises me. The primary application where I see e-drums used is noise-restricted environments. (At home practice in shared living spaces. Churches. Etc.) I don't know a single drummer who is looking to make their e-drums acoustically louder / nosier. And for those drummers using acoustic drums and gigging around town, none that I know are looking to complicate their setups with electronics. Perhaps there is a market for hybrid drumming among drummers playing regularly in large concert halls, but for mere mortals, I don't see hybrid drumming as a large, untapped market.
                        If you look across the current entertainment industry, there is a ton of hybrid usage on the professional level. However, if you think about that, it’s an extremely small market. I guess they are trying to get themselves based in the foundation of this performance style, as I’m sure they expect it to filter down to the general consumer over time. At the same time, they have to keep chugging along in the e-drum side too, because it no doubt will continue to move forward. The bottom line is there are two vastly different avenues of consumers right now. Those like you described, and the future musician. I don’t see diehard acoustic-desiring drummers like the masses going away any time soon, though.
                        Alan
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by thebaronofsd View Post
                          pearl's may 2nd what?
                          https://youtu.be/rZss7BQssv4

                          new product release

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Alan VEX wrote:
                            If you look across the current entertainment industry, there is a ton of hybrid usage on the professional level. However, if you think about that, it’'s an extremely small market. I guess they are trying to get themselves based in the foundation of this performance style, as I’m sure they expect it to filter down to the general consumer over time.
                            Makes sense. Back when the electric guitar was considered new, professional guitarists who adopted the instrument drove sales to consumers. I can see why e-drum companies want to get in on this same thing with hybrid drumming. Still, as you noted and I did too, this seems like a very small market currently.

                            Alan VEX wrote:
                            I don'’t see diehard acoustic-desiring drummers like the masses going away any time soon, though.
                            100% agreed. Of the gigging amateur, semi-professional, and professional drummers I know, all use acoustic drums when performing live. I'm the same and for me the decision is a simple one. It comes down to expressiveness. When I'm playing e-drums, I never feel like I'm driving the band. With acoustic drums, it's easy to take the band in different directions, change dynamics and mood, and generally convey a huge range of musical expression.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                              100% agreed. Of the gigging amateur, semi-professional, and professional drummers I know, all use acoustic drums when performing live. I'm the same and for me the decision is a simple one. It comes down to expressiveness. When I'm playing e-drums, I never feel like I'm driving the band. With acoustic drums, it's easy to take the band in different directions, change dynamics and mood, and generally convey a huge range of musical expression.
                              Sorry, I meant where Roland is concerned, so I totally expect them to continue the TD line for the foreseeable future. I just think they're in for some forced competitive re-thinking. lol
                              Alan
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X