Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost end of June .... waiting patiently

Comment

I'm waiting too. Drum roll please. And, and ? And we're still patiently waiting for the Mimic Update. I'm sure it's gunna be worth the wait. :-)

Comment

I mentioned in another thread somewhere that we came across another major bug last week. Unfortunately, this starts the clock of testing over again. Hopefully, they only test the two issues and fixes that were found and repaired. Regardless, the word is it takes 2-3 weeks from dev to publish. Trust me. You want the bugs fixed. They were both pretty major. Don't shoot the messenger.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
          I mentioned in another thread somewhere that we came across another major bug last week. Unfortunately, this starts the clock of testing over again. Hopefully, they only test the two issues and fixes that were found and repaired. Regardless, the word is it takes 2-3 weeks from dev to publish. Trust me. You want the bugs fixed. They were both pretty major. Don't shoot the messenger.
          Thanks to everyone for all the hard work. Yes. we do have the best machine and support staff.

Comment

Hi Everyone!

Like the most of you, I am waiting patiently for the Mimic update bowever I do need assistance with something (if at all possible). I am in the midst of recording a number of tracks, and have been putting it off for almost a month now as I was hoping the update would help address my requirements.I only need to know urgently if the update would include the multi-track recordings via USB functionality (like the TD-50). Otherwise, I would just go ahead and buy a USB audio interface. If anyone can answer this question (even with a PM'ed Yes or No), I would be grateful. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by subsash View Post
              Hi Everyone!

Like the most of you, I am waiting patiently for the Mimic update bowever I do need assistance with something (if at all possible). I am in the midst of recording a number of tracks, and have been putting it off for almost a month now as I was hoping the update would help address my requirements.I only need to know urgently if the update would include the multi-track recordings via USB functionality (like the TD-50). Otherwise, I would just go ahead and buy a USB audio interface. If anyone can answer this question (even with a PM'ed Yes or No), I would be grateful. Thanks.
              If someone has that answer, I'd like to know as well. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                Sadly, it takes enormous CPU power, and will not likely happen anytime in the near future. The Mimic handles loading just like a VST on a PC. It takes a little time. You'd have to have PC CPU specs of today's top end, tied likely to M2 type memory on a board capable of writing at 32gb/sec. That ain't gonna happen without the module costing about $5-6k. lol The only reason Roland can do it so fast is due to there being far less samples; and the fact they are extremely compressed.
                For performance what would be nice is just to add enough memory to the next generation to hold 2 or 3 kits worth of samples in memory. That way you could preload a kit list for a performance and when you changed kits from the current to the preload (in memory) that would be instant and it would immediately start loading the next kit from disc into memory. With typical disk DMA tricks the load wouldn't require hardly any CPU cycles at all either. Don't need fast memory, just enough for 2 complete kits at once.
                Mimic+DDTI, ATV aDrums (3 up, 2 down, 3x16" Crash, 1x18" Ride, 1x10" Splash, 1x12" Splash, 1x17" China, 1x14" Hat), Dual CowPaddy, 2xBT1, SPD-SX, Trick Pro1V2 Pedals/Hihat

Comment

My Wishlist items:

Current generation:

All cymbals in all Mimic libraries (or SSD5 libraries rather) include samples for all zones of the cymbal (yes I mean for crashes.)
                  SOUND EDITOR ... (please let me import full on VST libraries and not single shot samples.)
                  The ability to put tag labels on items so loading a VEX kit would map the splashes to where I had my splashes rather than just assume that AUX1/2. Basically an abstraction layer on inputs and loading kits (rather than the kit just saying AUX1.)

Mimic Gen 2:

Either a lot more inputs (or the ability to accept a really large number of MIDI inputs from something like a Megadrum IO.) What I'd really like is a separate box having all next set of 1/4" jacks on it, that's connected via a DB25 to the Mimic (sort of like the way the breakout for audio out works.) I'd build a box rather than just use a breakout cable if it came to it,
                  Enough memory to hold 2 kits at once in RAM and the ability to create kit lists where when i switch to the next preloaded kit, it starts loading the next kit for that set in the background (but doesn't switch to it.)
                  Upgrade method for HD (if Sony can do it fairly easy as a user feature on the PS4, anyone can do it.) Just make it externally accessible (i'll deal with the form factor) and give us a way to create a HD that will load. Alternatively, switch to 2 drives (one that holds the software, and boot information) and the other (user replaceable) that holds nothing but the sample libraries. Doing this you could get away with a cheaper slower drive for the software anyway.
                  Mimic+DDTI, ATV aDrums (3 up, 2 down, 3x16" Crash, 1x18" Ride, 1x10" Splash, 1x12" Splash, 1x17" China, 1x14" Hat), Dual CowPaddy, 2xBT1, SPD-SX, Trick Pro1V2 Pedals/Hihat

Comment

Originally posted by Thecklos View Post

Mimic Gen 2:

Either a lot more inputs (or the ability to accept a really large number of MIDI inputs from something like a Megadrum IO.) What I'd really like is a separate box having all next set of 1/4" jacks on it, that's connected via a DB25 to the Mimic (sort of like the way the breakout for audio out works.) I'd build a box rather than just use a breakout cable if it came to it,
                    Enough memory to hold 2 kits at once in RAM and the ability to create kit lists where when i switch to the next preloaded kit, it starts loading the next kit for that set in the background (but doesn't switch to it.)
                    Upgrade method for HD (if Sony can do it fairly easy as a user feature on the PS4, anyone can do it.) Just make it externally accessible (i'll deal with the form factor) and give us a way to create a HD that will load. Alternatively, switch to 2 drives (one that holds the software, and boot information) and the other (user replaceable) that holds nothing but the sample libraries. Doing this you could get away with a cheaper slower drive for the software anyway.
                    I don't think you will ever need a second HD with mimic, it remain approx 105 GB free on actual mimic, the software side require marginal space I think, if you compare the SSD computer version and mimic sizes. There is place about 15 expansions packs, and you can delete, usually no one need more then 10- 20 kits total. Remember there is SD\USB as storage as possibility. As for trigger inputs, MAYBE there is possibility to add another 8, that could fixed with firmware, but that require deep testing since adding instruments it will require much more horsepower on each kits, maybe this is possible who knows.

It is better to wait and see, until mimic reached full capacity and expanded, no one know yet as well for the RJ-45 expand slots.
                    Last edited by Chris K; 10-01-18, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

I don't think you will ever need a second HD with mimic, it remain approx 105 GB free on actual mimic, the software side require marginal space I think, if you compare the SSD computer version and mimic sizes. There is place about 15 expansions packs, and you can delete, usually no one need more then 10- 20 kits total. Remember there is SD\USB as storage as possibility. As for trigger inputs, MAYBE there is possibility to add another 8, that could fixed with firmware, but that require deep testing since adding instruments it will require much more horsepower on each kits, maybe this is possible who knows.

It is better to wait and see, until mimic reached full capacity and expanded, no one know yet as well for the RJ-45 expand slots.
                      My hope is that the RJ45 let's you daisy chain a second mimic to the first with analog audio output from one or both. That would fix my current issues (albeit at a fair expense.) Screenless cheaper mimic would be best for this. I have a 512GB thumb drive, so that's an option, but the load time for kits is pretty awful. I will probably be able to get away with less kits in the future as I did pickup an SPDSX for the weirder sounds, and will no longer have to use the standard brain for those (which will help some.) On the HD front I was more thinking that it's not that expensive to put the drive in a cage and make it externally accessible, and if they did that people could upgrade them to faster or larger SSDs (or potentially even build a connector to an external RAID 0 striped SSD array made out of smaller SSD's purely for speed (yes I'm also an unabashed hardware geek.) We currently can add 8 more now, are you saying there is maybe enough headroom for 16 rather than 8? Interesting, course my DDTI wouldn't work anymore, but that's OK it was cheap anyway. Pearl knows what the RJ45 is currently wired to inside, is it setup for just connecting to a network as that's the typical usage of a RJ45 port (obviously not the only one though, as DB25 was 99% RS232C serial connectors 20 years ago.) Maybe now that I'm starting to feel better again I'll open up the mimic and take a good look at what the components and connectors are (especially since the courts have ruled that do not tamper/open rules for refusing warranty/service is illegal) and yes I have all the crazy tools needed to violate pretty much any device that has stupid anti consumer screws in it.

I still love the Mimic, don't get me wrong, but I am running into some things I'm not overly happy about. What did you think of the current gen requests (other than the editor which I know I'm not alone in wanting? Out of those right now, the ability to abstract aux1-5 to labels should be pretty easy. The first one would require potentially recording more smaples if they never recorded the bells and stuff on crash cymbals (and could be expensive to undertake.) Course if they have the recordings already that one should be REALLY easy. I hope they have the recordings, but I would have assumed if they had them, we'd have them (and no I really don't want to use single shot samples or map a ride bell sound to a crash cymbal bell.)

Edit: As a side note, if they abstract the names let us remap not just aux1-5, but the existing ports so that I can properly map any pair of inputs (or any pair of consecutive inputs) to a 3 zone 2 cable cymbal. Now there's an iunteresting quesstion, is the instrument limit in via midi hard coded, or if you don't use instruments (all of them) at the mimic layer can you put in more via midi. IE if I used 3 2 zone cymbals by linking crash1, aux1 (or crash1/crash2, aux1/aux2, aux3/aux4) and cut down on the numbers of instruments used by the Mimic itself, can I then use those extra instruments via midi. It should have the overhead for that at that point since it already handles x instruments.
                      Last edited by Thecklos; 10-01-18, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I figured I'd add something here...

For this gen...

- I would like to see "solo" buttons for Overhead and Room channels. This would allow for proper studio mixing techniques... without having to kill a TON other direct mics - and remember their levels they need to be set back to... all just to hear an overhead or room "only" mix. This would be hugely valuable now.

I DO want to see a second-gen Mimic. I think nearly everyone does. Of course, I'm in no rush, as I expect gen 1 has plenty of growing room for now. (sound packs & updates)

- I want to see a larger screen. GUI similar to the GEWA would be nice (eye candy), but Mimic's design is just fine.

- With the larger screen, I would like to see "solo" buttons for EACH mic. This would allow for quickly soloing a mic, without having to kill others and remember levels they need to be set back to.

- I would like to see 2 DB-25 I/O for a total 16 channels I/O... independent of the Masters.

- I would like to see a partitioned backup for easily resetting the library. However, this section may also need the ability to be "updated". Of course, when you reset a computer that's designed like this, you usually have to reinstall the updates... so, the partition being update-able is "meh". lol

I'm sure I could come up with many other wishes, but these are my current "high on the list" desires for now and later. The above is just to take Mimic further into the "studio" realm.
                        Alan

Comment

Soloing is a good idea Alan, another vote there!

For mine, same stuff continues:

- While viewing the Edit Kit screen, pushing the datawheel will bring up the list of all kits you can change to.
                          - For the Recorder, the ability to record MP3/WAV that is currently going in the Player + the drum sounds.
                          - Additional cymbal samples, such as those from Meinl or Sabian... especially more rides and HH's. Paiste Signatures would be sublime.
                          Last edited by Trip McNealy; 10-01-18, 07:51 PM.
                          Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
                          Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

yep soloing the mics would be great! how about soloing the snare and kick layers as well?
                            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

+1 on the solo button of every Inst and/or Mic. Or at least a mute button on every Inst/Mic. But Solo button would be better.
                              Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
                              Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                                yep soloing the mics would be great! how about soloing the snare and kick layers as well?
                                Thatís what I was eluding to. Right now, there is not enough room for all mics to offer soloing, but there is plenty of room to add it in the OH & RM channel. Perhaps it COULD be added above/below instrument main volumes, though. Hadnít thought of that until just now.
                                Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X