Wishlist for Mimic Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
    I vote for new instrument libraries with more organic, natural sounds a la the aD5 and SD3.

I know a lot of Mimic users will say that SSD samples were recorded without compression or EQ at the source, but can we just agree that SSD and SD3 DO have their differences? From what I've read here and elsewhere, most SD3 lovers do believe that SSD is more rock/pop oriented. There's something distinctive about SSD that some drummers shy away from, or are drawn to the sounds of SD3. I think Pearl/Slate would do themselves a great benefit in terms of market share if they came out with a library that would satisfy the SD3 lovers.

Just my $0.02
    it's a legacy of SSD3. It was "mix ready" over-processed library and it was extremely popular (I know many mixers who substituted the superior drummer kick/ snare with SSD3 samples all the time)
    And 80% of people who tell me that "Steven Slate Drums are over-processed" - actually are VERY surprised when they hear the SSD4 and SSD5 samples.

Taking in account that a lot of preset kits in SSD4 and SSD5 VSTi has older SSD3 mixed in (as instrument layers, not into the samples of course) - it is not a surprise.

People are very biased by the things like "all other people say this - then it's true".
    Actually a lot of people who spent their time with SSD4/SSD5 and tried to build some kits from scratch without older SSD3 samples - are changing their minds.

We can argue to death here, but it's hard to argue against someones tastes =)
    That is my point of view and I'm not going to defend it here, just saying.
    BTW - people who record our samples do not participate in forums because it's a pain.
    Sound is too much subjective. =)
    Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-07-19, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• but, I cant argue against having more sounds! =)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

it's a legacy of SSD3. It was "mix ready" over-processed library and it was extremely popular (I know many mixers who substituted the superior drummer kick/ snare with SSD3 samples all the time)
        And 80% of people who tell me that "Steven Slate Drums are over-processed" - actually are VERY surprised when they hear the SSD4 and SSD5 samples.

Taking in account that a lot of preset kits in SSD4 and SSD5 VSTi has older SSD3 mixed in (as instrument layers, not into the samples of course) - it is not a surprise.

People are very biased by the things like "all other people say this - then it's true".
        Actually a lot of people who spent their time with SSD4/SSD5 and tried to build some kits from scratch without older SSD3 samples - are changing their minds.

We can argue to death here, but it's hard to argue against someones tastes =)
        That is my point of view and I'm not going to defend it here, just saying.
        BTW - people who record our samples do not participate in forums because it's a pain.
        Sound is too much subjective. =)
        I hope it is not confusing saying SD3 meaning Superior drummer 3. I have it and am not thrilled by the sounds. The Al Schmitt library sounds much better to me .
        One funny thing is that people were complaining that the Mimic sounds are not processed enough for rock. Now they are too rock.
        Some Toontrack libraries use a dead wall around the drums in a large room. It is interesting because the overheads are fairly dry but the room mics still sound big.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

I have it and am not thrilled by the sounds.
          Seriously?

Comment

• No need to discuss about taste here

But the drums in this video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLutgMnHhS4
            do sound open and natural to me

And here
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwPBK43WN4
            the toms even growl

So I just wonder: are they differently set up, tuned, recorded?

Would be great to have to sounds in Mimic
            The sounds in Mimic are perfect but (as said) mostly pop rock orientated
            Robert

Comment

• Originally posted by puttenvr View Post
              No need to discuss about taste here

But the drums in this video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLutgMnHhS4
              do sound open and natural to me

And here
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwPBK43WN4
              the toms even growl

So I just wonder: are they differently set up, tuned, recorded?

Would be great to have to sounds in Mimic
              The sounds in Mimic are perfect but (as said) mostly pop rock orientated
              That's what I'm talking about. Maybe the SSD sounds, by being engineered to "sit in the mix", as Steven Slate himself puts it, don't "breathe from within the mix" enough? Does that description make sense?

I do think, as Robert puts it, that it has as much, or more, to do with the instrument choice, setup, tuning, head choice, muffling, etc. - and probably less with how they are recorded. Perhaps SD3 has more variety which is satisfied by their multiple sound libraries. That's basically what I'm saying. There are definitely SD3 and EZdrummer libraries that sound like SSD and do "sit in the mix".

I'd be happy if I could load my SD3 kits into the Mimic. Problem solved for all. Pearl wold sell more Mimics IMHO.
              Last edited by jpsquared482; 11-08-19, 07:54 AM.
              ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

• Sound is complex how they are hit smashed or medium hit, more ghost note to medium hit, or ghost note to harder smashed hit, all influence the sound, resonance, and the vibe.

How the mic is placed will it capture all the nature of the drum include overtone, "artifact" or only the principle tone\attack for a good mix. Some sound engineers think "cleaner" sound is the best on a mix, others think capturing "all sound" is fully natural.

How is the room, small, low, high ceiling, bigger, shorts room, large reverbed one etc..

Tuning, head type, drum type

I am afraid that is a complex taste to achieve unless, the drummer who hit, the mic placement, head, tuning, room, and the goal mentality are all assembled together. You need all factor to reach specific sound. That why bfd, toontrack, slate, etc..sound all different.

Too much organic sound will require lots more of processing for recording and live, which can be another issue. Just to share experience, someone used SD3 live and it did not sounded great, that probably combination of lack of processing on the preset kit and lack of harder velocity hit on SD3 recording, SD3 are recorded more buzz roll to medium hit velocity.

Most of mimic sound require processing inside or from FOH live or recording, since they are not processed sound.I know someone use MIMIC on tour, with default mimic kit, but they are processed from the FOH with midas console to fit live and the rest of the band.

Ezdrummer are all processed sound= ready to play and record, that why they are called eazy, no fuzz on eq\compression for easier to people.
                SD2\3 all raw sound at base need processing for recording\live.
                Last edited by Chris K; 11-08-19, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• There is red
                  there is blue
                  You bypass it with general talk about colours
                  Robert

Comment

• My dream item to add to this wish list would be "the stock SSD is just too small for all of the available content"
                    Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

• Guys, I understand what are you talking.
                      But as you hopefully understand - I can't comment, because the followup will be "when?!", "what?!" and "why it takes so long??!!!"
                      All I can do (personally) is to make the editing of existing sounds easier, sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
                        Guys, I understand what are you talking.
                        But as you hopefully understand - I can't comment, because the followup will be "when?!", "what?!" and "why it takes so long??!!!"
                        All I can do (personally) is to make the editing of existing sounds easier, sorry.
                        we understand and you do a great job
                        How ? :-)
                        Robert

Comment

• Originally posted by puttenvr View Post

we understand and you do a great job
                          How ? :-)
                          =))))))))))))))
                          coffee!!!

Comment

• Speaking of making the editing of sounds easier: I really like the way Superior Drummer 3 does tuning.

They have the option to process the samples to keep the attack sounding natural. It's a great little feature that actually works to combat artifacting - which I hate and why I never change the tuning lol. But with this feature, tuning is actually pretty good.
                            ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                            Community Drum Module Document
                            PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                              Speaking of making the editing of sounds easier: I really like the way Superior Drummer 3 does tuning.

They have the option to process the samples to keep the attack sounding natural. It's a great little feature that actually works to combat artifacting - which I hate and why I never change the tuning lol. But with this feature, tuning is actually pretty good.
                              AFAIR they are doing it offline

Comment

• Obviously companies like Slate and ATV just don't have the resources to pump out quality expansion packs like Toontrack can. ATV got off to a promising start with their Sound Store but in the last year not one sound has been added for the aD5. And Slate has only added a few toms and a cowbell in the last 3 years for the Mimic. The reality is, the pro-line drum module market is a very small niche category in the overall musical instrument industry and it seems manufactures can't justify the cost and time it takes to produce expansion libraries. Unless these companies open up their modules to 3rd party licensing agreements I just don't think we will ever see the variety of sounds like a Superior Drummer library has.
                                ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                X