No announcement yet.

Wishlist for Mimic Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please stay on topic. This topic is about desired features for the Pearl Mimic Pro. Trolling off-topic posts will be deleted. Thanks!
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• i've got one 'on topic' : why doesn't Mimic add 2 extra sound packs (samples) 'clear heads toms' (10/12/14/16 inch clear heads top and bottom) and 'warm vintage cymbals' (like istanbul, meinl byzance, or other 'warmer/ dirtier' sounding cymbals.. in my opinion Mimic is 'almost' perfect, the best snare samples around, nice coated toms, in superb sound quality .. but it has only coated head tom sounds and 'polished, brilliant' rock cymbals.. imo, these two sound packs would make it more versatile, and these sounds can be then 'edited' into more kits eventually..
      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

• Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
        i've got one 'on topic' : why doesn't Mimic add 2 extra sound packs (samples) 'clear heads toms' (10/12/14/16 inch clear heads top and bottom) and 'warm vintage cymbals' (like istanbul, meinl byzance, or other 'warmer/ dirtier' sounding cymbals.. in my opinion Mimic is 'almost' perfect, the best snare samples around, nice coated toms, in superb sound quality .. but it has only coated head tom sounds and 'polished, brilliant' rock cymbals.. imo, these two sound packs would make it more versatile, and these sounds can be then 'edited' into more kits eventually..
        If you are looking for clear / coated sound change in "roland terms" - then just apply high frequency EQ for your toms to taste, because that is what you hear in roland.
        In real life there is not SO much difference between these heads -
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFRjs4mnw8U
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fa1jbxGSok
        etc
        Coated heads are a little more dampened (due to coating =)), has a little less high frequency overtones, people call it "warm". But in real studio situation, with identical tuning, and with a little dampening applied (dampening rings \ moongels) - the head type is really not the main thing that defines the tone.

At the same time - I definitely can't argue against that it's better to have more sounds than less sounds =)
        Just wanted to tell you that with a little EQ and dampening you can get your tones probably
        Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-06-19, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• imo, the attack (slap) of clear heads is different from coated heads.. this is why coated or clear heads are used in different 'styles' of music aswell..
          for the reason you say too, more 'warm' sound.. or a more 'punchy' sound.. anyway .. i guess i just (always) like clear heads better..

Comment

imo, the attack (slap) of clear heads is different from coated heads.. this is why coated or clear heads are used in different 'styles' of music aswell..
            for the reason you say too, more 'warm' sound.. or a more 'punchy' sound.. anyway .. i guess i just (always) like clear heads better..
            well - I posted real recordings. You can definitely change the attack with simple EQ.
            Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-06-19, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• ok, but then it will sound like a coated head, with more high eq.. did you ever put a clear head on a snare drum ? ..something changes in the way the drum sounds,
              turning it into a real 'strange' snare sound.. some like it though.. and use a clear head on snare.. .. the same way a tom sound changes when you use coated or clear heads.. it's not the same.. i agree you can change the sound of a coated head (EQ) but it won't be the same effect as a clear head.. (on a real acoustic drum) some also use coated heads as 'resonant' head, same kind of difference that you can't 'eq' into a drum .. but 'attack' difference is even more evident.. it also goes 'into' the drum..
              microphones are real 'limited' instruments compared to human ears (unless we are talking earthworks TC-20's or something..) - again just my opinion -
              ..but most 'comparison' videos on youtube are the most misleading things around ..

Comment

ok, but then it will sound like a coated head, with more high eq.. did you ever put a clear head on a snare drum ? ..something changes in the way the drum sounds,
                turning it into a real 'strange' snare sound.. some like it though.. and use a clear head on snare.. .. the same way a tom sound changes when you use coated or clear heads.. it's not the same.. i agree you can change the sound of a coated head (EQ) but it won't be the same effect as a clear head.. (on a real acoustic drum) some also use coated heads as 'resonant' head, same kind of difference that you can't 'eq' into a drum .. but 'attack' difference is even more evident.. it also goes 'into' the drum..
                microphones are real 'limited' instruments compared to human ears (unless we are talking earthworks TC-20's or something..) - again just my opinion -
                ..but most 'comparison' videos on youtube are the most misleading things around ..
                I'm not sure if you understand that I mean.
                I'm not arguing against your perception of the sound of the real drumkit in a real room.
                I'm trying to say that all the records you hear on radio, in VSTis etc are done with "usual" microphones, like sm57 on snare and md421 on toms.
                I mean - you ask to record it as instrument and I show you the recording. That would be what you'll get on the record.

PS youtube is ok when we do not need any subtle details - especially on toms

Comment

• but in samples you hear this 'detail' ? if you listen to this sample (no 2), which is a clear pinstripe (maybe) you hear what i mean.. the mylar attack (not coated)
                  if you compare this to mimic toms (which are coated) you'll hear the difference.. this mylar attack/tone is also present in single ply heads, but a little less
                  emphasized .. in every vst that has clear heads toms, there is this character of 'uncoated attack'..
                  https://store.atvcorporation.com/en/...s_detail?id=34

Comment

• Ok, have you tried EQ?

Comment

• Still hoping the next update will include looping function and mutegroup function like the SPDS/SX

Comment

• Mr. Boo, thank you for trying to help with a Mimic.. but I don't own a mimic .. (I have aD5)
                        but I did have a wish for a mimic, which was 'warmer vintage sounding cymbals' and 'clear heads' sounding toms..
                        I agree some things can be modelled (with eq, mics or transient designer/ asr) but not 'everything'
                        if mimic had these sounds .. I would buy one.. ..if it is too 'off topic' post 152 to 160 can be deleted..

Comment

• It seems either an instrument editor or new instrument libraries would resolve most peoples wishes now?

Not that this suggestion helps firmware development.
                          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                          Community Drum Module Document
                          PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

• +1 on an editor! :-)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
                            Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

• I vote for new instrument libraries with more organic, natural sounds a la the aD5 and SD3.

I know a lot of Mimic users will say that SSD samples were recorded without compression or EQ at the source, but can we just agree that SSD and SD3 DO have their differences? From what I've read here and elsewhere, most SD3 lovers do believe that SSD is more rock/pop oriented. There's something distinctive about SSD that some drummers shy away from, or are drawn to the sounds of SD3. I think Pearl/Slate would do themselves a great benefit in terms of market share if they came out with a library that would satisfy the SD3 lovers.

Just my $0.02
                              ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

• Agree
                                Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X