Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland mid range modules I'd like to see

Hi Roland,

With your mesh pads off patent the mid market is jammed with Alesis, Kat, and Simmons kits that all offer significantly more than you do. TD-25 fell flat in the eyes of many, I personally really like my TD-25 however a quick search on the web will show that 'Roland fans' aren't usually also fans of the TD-25.

Let's make sure this doesn't happen again. Here is my suggestion.

TD-45 module
    -Like the TD-25 was based on SuperNATURAL sound the TD-45 will be based off the Prismatic sounds of the TD-50
    -Stripped down like the TD-25 only the best sounds with a focus on playability
    -3 Digital triggers + same trigger count as the TD-25
    -MIDI IN and out
    -4 x Direct outputs

The TD-45 is the direct logical replacement for the TD-25

TD-35 module: (don't care if SuperNATURAL or Prismatic)
    -Again, stripped down focus on quality of the sounds not quantity of crap
    -Only 3 digital triggers + 3 AUX triggers (support 16-20 instruments via midi triggering)
    -MIDI in and out
    -4 x direct outs

What is the point of this TD-35 module? To be the upgraded Module/MIDI controller for every mid/low range module Roland has ever sold. The inputs for this module are intended to come from the TD4,6,9,11,15 etc AND bring the digital triggering to the mid range. In addition to this, 3 more AUX inputs that can be cymbals etc etc.

thats all
    TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Think business side vs price, Td-50 will have the superior sound\feature for Roland its their flagship, others mid\low are downgraded version in all term and limited for their range. As far as I know, Td-50 could not have much more less sound then 400 compare to 1200 previous..(to reduce useless sound)

Ps: 16-20 instruments via midi, this will never happens, they removed for processing\resource reason, same as sequencer\pad pattern,gm sound etc..
    Last edited by Chris K; 12-13-17, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I don't agree on the processing limitation. There is plenty of power these days.

They should consider having a module positioned as a new head end control unit upgrade for their existing army of mid range used modules though IMO. The Mimic should have them worried at the upper mid range/high end market. Pearl is thought to be following this with a new line of pads and what is that RJ-45 port for? That = competition for Roland and an erosion of their market share.

A module with 3 digital triggers and a few AUX triggers with a midi in port now shores up a lot of that older mid range market of roland modules, and there is a TON of these. Boom drop this new stripped module that really is just intended to trigger VST anyway and now you're moving 14" snares, 18" rides, and i'm just guessing but the highly likely 14" (hoping triple zone) digital hihat into this much larger mid market space.

What does roland really have over its competition in the mid market? Positional sense? If this is such a compelling feature, why is the TD-25 derided so frequently? I love mine, great sounds and i like posi sense but that doesn't change the popular opinion online.

My point, Positional sense will not hold onto market share. They're having to deal with Guitar Centers full of playable Alesis Strike and Nitro kits with large pads and good sounds. Simmons ... thankfully for Roland Simmons insists pads must look like something out of a sci-fi film which will prevent a lot of people from buying them but they're new stuff plays and sounds quite good for a lot less. What if pearl drops a TD-25 direct competitor? Drop the direct outs to 4, cut the storage in half, boom Pearl Mimic JR = kicks the TD-25's ass.

No, Roland has to move those digital triggers down to the mid market, and soon (NAMM?). Having two options like I suggest would be interesting and shake things up a bit.

Since we both know the stripped midi module won't happen ... let's focus on the TD-45 then and make sure it corrects some of the TD-25's short comings.

TD-45:
      1) Allow TOM2 to be assigned as a cymbal with after touch messages on this channel.

Reason, a lot of 4 piece players out there from jazz to metal core to etc etc etc. Minimalist players should have the option to run only 2 toms and then have 1 more cymbal.

2) 3 x Digital triggers and add 1 more AUX jack than the TD-25

Reason, TD-30 has 4 aux, TD-25 has 1 ... TD-50 has 4 AUX ... TD-45 should have 2 IMO.

3) 4 total outs.

balanced or un-balanced i dont care just two more please.

That would be a great upper mid range module. Give me 3 great sounding drum kits, bring the cymbal thickness, head type, and beater type edits down to this TD-45, the 909/808, and a few perc instruments and that is a killer module IMO. Need more sounds in the module? buy the big boy or trigger VST.
      TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

Originally posted by thebaronofsd View Post
        I don't agree on the processing limitation. There is plenty of power these days.
        Agree totally, and we all told this years before, but see their path\pattern, hence Td-50 use 128mb sd cards for sample memory, first time in their franchise they use imports sample inside a module, no midi in for percussion set, to extend triggering via midi, previous module always had.
        Last edited by Chris K; 12-14-17, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Ok I see your point, then treat this new module as a super stripped down module positioned to work as the new primary module in a VST triggering setup. For me that would mean phasing out the TD-6V that I just got in favor of this new TD-35 module with 3 digital triggers and maybe 2 aux or something. Then I can run my TD-25 for toms, cymbals, perc and move my primary snare and time keepers to the new digital triggers.

This still gives a spot for a TD-45 and if you bring the new editing features like cymbal thickness, shell thicknesses, head types etc etc down to this TD-45 add a few more outs/triggers and those digital triggers now you've got something that continues to differentiate Roland from the competition.

After these modules come out, move the TD-25 down and if possible update the firmware to allow a VH-13 and allow for setting TOM2 as a cymbal.

TD-25 (posi but no digital), TD-35 (just digital w/ posi and an aux or two), and TD-45 (digital + posi + more a few more ports) makes for a really strong mid market presence for Roland without really challenging the TD-50 - IMO.

Comment

There are others out there as well as Roland. Iím glad they are sticking to what they do and donít really care what models they have. At least it leaves room for others.
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I'm not worried about the competition in the mid market, they're already raising the bar and offering competing products that have unique advantages. without roland's patent protection, we've seen more growth in the low end and mid market than at any point in the past how long? this is good for us the consumers.

just saying, i'd prefer to stick with roland and i'm pretty much a mid market kinda guy. there are a lot more of me out there than people ready to buy a td-50 or dtx-900 or even the mimic which is much more reasonably priced. with all this competition the only real protection roland has is the digital triggers and the new digital pads. if they keep those as td-50 exclusives like they did with the vh-13 and td-30 then why wouldn't I look towards an option like an AD5 or Mimic or the inevitable lower end mid range mimic?

i'll buy all 3 of the digital pads, but i doubt i ever buy a td-50. does roland want to sell me and the much larger mid market a new mid range module and 3 digital pads or do they want us asking ourselves why we're sticking with roland in the mid market?

Comment

Not sure why your so loyal to them if they donít make what you want. People have been making suggestions to Roland for years but they donít listen. The only modules/pads Iíve thought worth having of Rolandís are the top ones. I got mine 2nd hand. I have a TD30 which cost much less than a TD25 new. Which is again another kit I wouldnít want from Roland.
                Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

The aD5 already is a cost-effective drop-in replacement for the lower-end TD9/11/15 and perhaps also the 25 due to supporting the same cable-snake with DB-25 connector (almost where it not for hh stereo/mono plug difference, which a simple adapter could perhaps fix).

Am quite happy with a 2nd hand TD-30 from a triggering/feature/sound perspective, no longer any interest in anything new from Roland.
                  Also VST products like SD3 seem to have become so good now, that will probably the only add-on for me.
                  E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
                  A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
                  TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                    Not sure why your so loyal to them if they donít make what you want.
                    i'm loyal to playability/reliable triggering. if that third digital trigger is in fact for a hi-hat then they'll retain the crown as having the highest playability, and in the places where you really want that added expressiveness the most. that is what i'm after in the mid range.

Comment

Working...
                    X