A Better TD-11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Better TD-11

Before I bought my kit I visited Guitar Center and played both the TD11-KV & the TD25-KV. For the money the TD-11 won easily. I wasn't impressed with TD-25 module at all...especially not for a grand more. I bought my TD-11KV kit and have had it for a couple of months now and like it except for a couple of things.

The first complaint is the construction of the pads...why did they have to put that plastic ring between the rim and the mesh head. I'm a fairly decent drummer and most of my chops are accurate but every now and then I hit closer to the rim than the middle especially on fills going down the toms and I hit the plastic ring. I find it not only screws up what could have been a nice fill or break sound wise but it also breaks my concentration for a second. I keep telling myself don't get pissed...just keep on playing and keep the rings in mind and it will make you a better and more accurate drummer. But hey...really...who wants to think about the rings at all. I was aware of the pad differences when I bought the kit but I thought it wouldn't bother me as much as it does...oh well.

The second complaint is the rack. Why do they only offer the compact style rack? I mean it's like only a foot between the two front foot poles and the cross bars are square. I like to spread out and I've always placed a cymbal right in front of me between the rack toms. Again...I was aware of this when I bought the kit but figured I could adapt...I was wrong. I've Frankensteined my rack with pieces from my old Yamaha DTXpress kit to give my kit a wider stance and a place to mount my center cymbal...it works good but it looks kinda crappy.

I wish Roland would have offered the TD11 module with TD25-KV style pads and rack...I would have coughed up a few hundred more bucks for that...anyway...just my two cents worth. In hindsight I should have bought the TD25-KV kit, sold the module and bought a TD11 module but whats done is done. Now I'm scoping craigslist and ebay everyday searching for a deal to come up on 25KV style pads.

I have the TD11K and also hated rack it was way to compact (and low) and the center posts wouldn't let me put my pedal where I wanted. I ended up picking up a cheap drum set and Intrigg triggers with mesh pads using the module and cymbals only. Only cost me about $400 but what an improvement.
    Last edited by Lifesaver; 10-06-17, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X