Why ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why ??

1) Is there anybody to explain me, why Roland does not still use real samples regarding the computers capacity nowdays ?
    2) Why brands of electonic drums does not still use 16 or 32 bit converter to have 256 or 1024 levels sensibility?

Thanks

1). I think Rolands approach is more about editability of the sound. Electric drums, whilst imitating a lot of features, aren't acoustic drums and I think Roland embraces the slight difference rather than trying to make an acoustic kit with a volume knob. I believe Roland view electric drums in the same way theres a difference between acoustic and electric guitar.
    2). Midi code is done in levels from 0-127 (128 total variables). What you are asking is the reinvention of midi code to a more advanced system, which I'm not sure if there is any use for. Combine your 2 ideas and you are asking for a minimum of 256 samples per drum per sound, which is crazy amounts of storage for samples.

Synthesis always starts off rusty, but eventually gives some great options. Maybe not as good as the real thing, but certainly way cheaper and easier. For guitarists re-amping in DAWs started off crap, but now its kinda split decision for many artists whether they re-amp with a PC simulated cabinet or whether they draft out the real thing. The real thing disadvantage is lugging out a huge amp cab, sticking it in a closet with all the insulation, mic-ing it right - it's all expensive as hell... so much extra work. The simulated option is far cheaper ultimately, and will eventually close the gap!
    Last edited by Myrk-; 02-09-16, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Good points from Myrk, and discussed ad nauseum in other threads... mainly the ones relating to new modules!
      DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by Piloute View Post
        1) Is there anybody to explain me, why Roland does not still use real samples regarding the computers capacity nowdays ?
        2) Why brands of electonic drums does not still use 16 or 32 bit converter to have 256 or 1024 levels sensibility?

Thanks
        I agree with Perceval. Myrk said it well.

In regards to changes in the foundation of the MIDI code, that's on the way. It's was released at NAMM 2015, is formally known as "HD Protocol", and has been nicknamed "MIDI 2.0" and is back compatible with MIDI.

That said, many agree that MIDI is perfectly sufficient for 99% of musical instruments on the market today. One simple reason is this: a code with 128 individual values has enough resolution to exceed human abilities to detect them. Think about it: play a note with a velocity of 56 and another with a value of 57. Hearing experts agree that you simply can't discern one from the other. Most would be unable to tell the difference between 56 and 59, but perhaps that's where it begins to be detectable. The same applies to other parameters that affect tone, ADSR, etc. 128 is actually a very large number in relation to human perception, so there's no benefit whatsoever to increasing the resolution.

So, that's the situation for modern day electronic instruments. What HD Protocol offers are additional means of modulation of the sound and new functionality that doesn't yet exist in instruments on the market today. It's about building a foundation for the future and offering developers new tools to invent.

I think you'll see HD Protocol embedded in future eDrums because the complexity of what happens with acoustic drums just can't be replicated with MIDI, and we all know edrummers, by and large, want our edrums to emulate acoustics. HD offers a new, more complex, platform from which to build something new.
        TD-25 and TD-11 triggering VSTs (SD 2.3, SSD4, EZDrummer2), DIY drums with Quartz and Pintech triggers, Handsonic HPD-20, JBL Eon 515XT

Comment

Maybe 10 years off at least I reckon for that in edrums... typically the E-drum market's technology is pretty archaic - dumbingly so in my opinion! We only got USB connectivity 5 years or so ago haha!

Comment

Many thanks for your answers.

But I think, as Myrk said, that E-drum market is really archaic today, nothing new since the 2000's when I bought my TD10. Then I bought my TD20 with expanded card and V-expression kits.. and I'm always waiting something really new since that time ... ;-(((

Comment

Working...
            X