Realistically available new hardware suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistically available new hardware suggestions

None of these should be present any difficulty whatsoever, as they're just existing technology in slightly different packaging or colors.

mesh heads in black

Toms in 14"

hi-end cymbals in small size, for use as splashes etc.

cymbals in gold/brass color

flagship should have 20 inputs not 16; 16 is just... about... enough... but doesn't quite allow all the obvious expansions simultaneously (side snare, second bass, two more toms, and four cymbals would need 18 total... and it'd be nice to be able to do just a bit more than that if you had to)

sell an official splitter cable

MegaDrum has 32 inputs.
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Mesh heads in black: Drum-tec Pro mesh heads

Toms in 14": DIY conversion / order a floor tom from Diamond Drums

Hi-end cymbals in small size, for use as splashes etc. Triggera D14 and D11

Cymbals in gold/brass color: Stealth cymbal triggers or Jobeky

Flagship should have 20 inputs not 16: As perceval says; Megadrum

Sell an official splitter cable: Roland branded splitter cables would indeed be nice, but solutions are around

Happy shopping!

♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
      Community Drum Module Document
      PA Comparison sheet (wip)

Comment

Wow, you're a rolodex of information! Still my point isn't that no-one's making this stuff, but that Roland's not making it but could with practically no material outlay.

If Roland's listening, I'd also point out that a fair number of people would be tempted to swap out parts of their current kit should some of this become available. Its a good way to sell more into a saturated market, without causing the sour taste that built-in obsolescence does. For instance, if the TD-30 didn't work with peoples' old PD-105s/125s/etc., they'd be mad. No-one likes being FORCED to buy more than they need. OTOH if gold cymbals and/or small cymbals were available, its possible people would want to buy them even if they already had a full set of black cymbals. Likewise, 14" or 16" pads would surely be bought by players who've already bought a full kit, who either want a kit that's easier to hit or more like their acoustic setup.

And the extra inputs on the brain would be a key factor in selling more pads. Even people with large TD-30 kits aren't playing double bass drums because they're inputs are full. This is costing Roland pad sales, I think. People have GAS (gear aquisition syndrome) but after filling just four AUX jacks Roland is telling customers, stop buying pads!

Comment

You could add a used td4 for around $100 in the US to have a lot more inputs. I haven't filled up all the TD30 inputs. What type of ,music are you playing to need more inputs?

Comment

To be clear Peter these aren't things I want, these are things I think customers in general want. And as an engineer, they're things that I think can realistically provided, in contrast to some other suggestions that "we want everything you make to be much cheaper!" which while true aren't likely to be possible. And yes while an additional used box, or a grab-bag of products from other vendors, provides the user with some of the same things, its not as clean a solution and more importantly to Roland doesn't result in an additional sale to Roland.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Frank View Post
              To be clear Peter these aren't things I want, these are things I think customers in general want. And as an engineer, they're things that I think can realistically provided, in contrast to some other suggestions that "we want everything you make to be much cheaper!" which while true aren't likely to be possible. And yes while an additional used box, or a grab-bag of products from other vendors, provides the user with some of the same things, its not as clean a solution and more importantly to Roland doesn't result in an additional sale to Roland.
              All the things you mention are things that are wanted but probably by a small minority of users like folks on these forums.

Roland's focus seems to be on selling to the first time non professional buyer. If someone buys a TD-1 then wants to upgrade they become a first time buyer again and buys a TD-11 then step up to a TD-25 and so on.

Roland has become a company guided by greed and profits only it seems. What big business has not?

There seems to be no interest in providing expansion / upgrades to current products / customers.
              Third party companies try to fill this niche but with limited buyers their R&D is on a small budget and their production budget even smaller.

First time buyers seem to be guided mostly by the amount of $ in their pocket and purchase a over hyped low end kit become unhappy with the purchase and either sell it and buy new or give it to their 10 year old (suitable user) and forget about Edrums.

First time buyers are mostly uninformed about the facts of edrum life and only come to the forums or search the internet after purchase to help them make their budget kit better.
              A small number of buyers come here first looking for "the best sounding under $500 kit there is".

Companies need to stop marketing cheap toys as professional sounding acoustic drum replacements.

My ideal setup would include a module that had 3 or 4 real sounding kits with the ability to load more sounds, 1 snare 14", 5 toms 8" to 16", 1 kick 22" all with the ability to change color, 1 Hi-Hat 14", 5 cymbals 12" to 22" for ride, crash, splash all in a shiny gold color, 4 aux inputs for cowbells etc. All drum inputs positional sensitive 2 zone, All cymbal inputs positional sensitive 3 zone. All aux inputs positional sensitive 3 zone cymbal or drum ability.

I want to be able to build this setup as my budget allows with a 4 drum, 3 cymbal starter kit at a fair price say around $3500 US.

The technology is there but probably not the buyers as the pricing is above what most folks would be willing to spend. Acoustic will always be cheaper and buyers will always want a cheap "just starting out, want to get my feet wet $300 kit".

I do not look to Edrums as a replacement for acoustic but rather a choice in instruments that has options for a drummer to fulfill a particular need be it for sounds or volume.

Anyone got a few $million to kickstart such a project? I didn't think so! I just do not see a profit margin there that would be suitable for a "today's company". What a shame!

Next up? What about a $20,000.00 electric Lamborghini starter setup with all the current specs of the Veneno Roadster!
              If we are gonna dream make it worth it!
              "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPDSX, TD9 , 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

> Roland has become a company guided by greed and profits only it seems.

Sure, I don't begrudge them that.

My point is that a company that is greedy and wants sales could simply use its existing cymbal molds and make some brass-colored disks. It could use its patents and manufacturing processes and churn out some "PD-145" and "PD-165" 14" and 16" pads with zero extra research cost. A few extra inputs on the top-end brain should actually pay for themselves, as it will probably result in a few more pads being sold.

Comment

Working...
                X