SPD30 Wishlist for next version....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPD30 Wishlist for next version....

I've been using my SPD30 for my job for the last 2 years (professional accompanist for dance classes in 2 different schools/adult classes) and here is my wish list of things that I feel it needs for its next incarnation..
    1. Better and more varied melodic sounds. Pianos, strings, guitars etc. I feel it needs some high quality GM soundset injections!! The drum/percussion sounds on it are great but it falls down really badly on its other instruments (the piano sucks eggs for example. No guitar sounds at all, strings are horrible except for Double Bass sound.. )
    2. Tap tempo function - the ability to start pre-recorded sequences at different tempi at the touch of a button is sadly lacking. When someone else is responsible for setting the tempo (in my case, the dance teachers) but it could be the guitarist or vocalist, or just a wish to vary it gig by gig based on your mood/vibe.
    3. Record MIDI in from external sequencers. I tried recording some grooves into Cubase (much easier for editing purposes) and then linking up the SPD30 via MIDI clock to record them in for use live, but it wouldn't record them in(!). Seems like a silly oversight to me in this day and age of technology. I do it with other hardware no problem regularly.
    4. Changing the effect type linked to the kit via the FX CTRL button. I can alter the amount of FX with this right now, but I have to go in to the Menu and change the FX manually to something else, and then it's there until I change it back (i.e. it's normally a reverb and I want to change it to a delay/echo temporarily).
    5. Assignable click to headphone only output. I've seen many others ask for this option as well.
    6. More allowable layers. Why only 2 sounds allowed per pad? Why no layering allowed when you plug in external pads? Maybe some pre-layered sounds to the default sounds (like snare/tambourine or hi-hat/tambourine as they do in the TD30 for example)

I didn't include adding samples as they already have this covered in the SPD-SX and I can't see them merging the 2 concepts.

This is just my 2 cents. Feel free to add in what you think as well.

I hope the bods at Roland are looking at this stuff as I assume they are working on the next version of this type of machine, and it wouldn't take much to make it even better and more usable to us as the ambassadors and artists who use it.

sox
    On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
    With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
    Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
    "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Originally posted by sox View Post
    I didn't include adding samples as they already have this covered in the SPD-SX and I can't see them merging the 2 concepts.
    Not Related and this is needed, It should Imports Sample like the HandSonic\ TM-2, and you can see with these feature not affecting Spd-Sx is sampling, editing, sub output, import sample not the same things, also make no sens to buy 2 things for only playing sample without all tons of feature not used mostly from the Spd-Sx.

Also the Tap sequence incremental note with each stick strike would be nice, like the Td12, td-20 and td-30, need the GM sound internal..
    Last edited by Chris K; 04-07-15, 01:15 PM.
    [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

sox, can you play 2 loops simultanenously like spd-sx? for example in my spd-sx i set loop A for pad 1, loop B for pad 2 and set them on the same mute group in one drumkit. so when i play a song, i hit pad 1 to play loop A for verse 1, then when the chorus come i hit pad 2 to play loop B and loop A stop. when chorus finish i hit pad 1 to play loop A again and loop B stop i try to look for this in SPD-30 but seem i cannot find it I like spd-30 because it simples and i can change tempo/bpm on the fly when playing live thanks.

Comment

Hey Tivi.
        No, you cannot trigger the SPD-30 like this. It will play 3 tracks of a sequence that you can record into it, but it is not a sample player. It will only play the sounds internally in it (and there are no loops internally).

You would have to use the MIDI functions to trigger an external sampler if you wanted to play loops.

Comment

i figured out on SPD-30, start out making phrase/loop for part 1, add phrase/loop 2 for part 2 and phrase/loop 3 for part 3 .... turn off volume for part 2 and part 3, then save it. when perform live, i selected phras/loop [with 3 parts created], hit pad to start loop [only part 1 play this time] .. turn on part volume, whenever I need phrase/loop 2 or phrase/loop 3, i just need to adjust part volume need practice to get it right every time but it works

Comment

My wish list for the SPD-30 successor would be the polar opposite. I know I am the oddball and almost no-one will like this, but I would like no sequencer, no world sounds, no electronic sounds, no tuned percussion sounds, and a large sound library of acoustic drum sets. Maybe it could be called the Drummer-Version, and be a separate product. But I am thinking of getting one as a compact kit and I have no plans to ever use phrase loop. But then, I'm just a drummer.
            __________________________________________________ _____
            Always seeking a compact one-piece solution to electronic drumming.

Comment

you can just get Alesis SamplePad Pro and load any drum sounds you want on those 8 pads make it portable drumkit. Alesis SamplePad Pro is cheap compare to Roland products.

Comment

I am familiar with it. The quality and reliability of the Alesis is not roadworthy enough for me, and the pad feel is a little hard, The Roland is much less likely to develop a malfunction. But the Sample Pad Pro is their best multipad so far.
                __________________________________________________ _____
                Always seeking a compact one-piece solution to electronic drumming.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                  i figured out on SPD-30, start out making phrase/loop for part 1, add phrase/loop 2 for part 2 and phrase/loop 3 for part 3 .... turn off volume for part 2 and part 3, then save it. when perform live, i selected phras/loop [with 3 parts created], hit pad to start loop [only part 1 play this time] .. turn on part volume, whenever I need phrase/loop 2 or phrase/loop 3, i just need to adjust part volume need practice to get it right every time but it works
                  I'm glad you found a way to make good use of the Octapad Tivi, but what you're doing is triggering sequences and not samples
                  As well, you're limited to 3 sequences only, rather than the 9 samples that you can trigger (plus extra inputs) on a SPD-SX. They both have their plus and minus points. My biggest problem with using the phrase loops is the lack of Tap Tempo...

Cheers

sox

Comment

Support for 3 zone ride pads
                    More acoustic sounds
                    (if they do well on the TD-50) Digital pad inputs
                    (slightly) larger pads

Comment

ability to load samples/wave files to layer with internal sounds, Handsonic HDP-20 already has this function, internal sound engine of Handsonic HDP-20 has the SuperNatural Engine, sounds not bad but the pads on Handsonic little small :P

Comment

Some very valid points here however I have managed to use the SPD-30 with an external sequencer (Logic) - took a bit of work but wasn't too tricky.
                        For me I'd love another output or two for live work (would be great to get the kick / snare on a separate outputs), ability to add samples and more layers on external pads would be great, specific FX would be good too - so that you can add compressor to certain sounds only. Otherwise it's a great bit of kit that I've got loads of use out of... interesting the chat about the Alesis Sample Pad Pro - I'd be tempted but would worry about the reliability for touring etc.
                        E-Kit: Roland SPD-30, 1 x PDX8, 1 x FD8, 1 x Triggera Krigg. DW7000 Kick Pedal + 1x Cymbal Stands and a few clamps... Pro Mark Simon Phillips Sig Sticks.
                        Music:Sacre Noir Savage Sound System

Comment

Speaking frankly, does any here have some truly and faithful intel or information about a new SPD-30? I mean... I took Roland 12 years to update the SPD-20(1998) to the SPD-30(2010). And this without counting the "version 2" which expands the SPD-30ís onboard kit and phrase libraries, and add powerful new features and functions.
                          They've just released those SPD-ONE pads which in my opinion, answers to no-one's needs (drummers, digital drummers, one-man bands, djs...).
                          So again, I'm curious to know... can someone confirm Roland is working on a new Octapad?.

Cheers
                          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nick waves View Post
                            Speaking frankly, does any here have some truly and faithful intel or information about a new SPD-30? I mean... I took Roland 12 years to update the SPD-20(1998) to the SPD-30(2010). And this without counting the "version 2" which expands the SPD-30ís onboard kit and phrase libraries, and add powerful new features and functions.
                            They've just released those SPD-ONE pads which in my opinion, answers to no-one's needs (drummers, digital drummers, one-man bands, djs...).
                            So again, I'm curious to know... can someone confirm Roland is working on a new Octapad?.

Cheers
                            Nick
                            GREAT question. Roland has just stated that they have new percussion products to be launched later this month, and it's been suggested that a new SPD might be a candidate for what's to be announced.

You might want to watch this space:
                            https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...h-of-september

JP
                            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, TD-30 triggering Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
                            X