Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland TD-30KV V-Pro Channel/GarageBand Set-Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-30KV V-Pro Channel/GarageBand Set-Up?

In a couple of months, I will be purchasing Roland's TD-30KV V-Pro (and start up a YouTube channel, etc.), and I'm a dumbie when it comes to hooking up electric kits to GarageBand. I heard that each part of the kit has separate channels - I'm not sure if this means that GarageBand will list each drum pieces separately (Kick, Tom 1, Crash, etc.)? If so, that's REALLY convenient and I'd like to know how to set that up as well. Anyone know and want to give me a quick run-down?

Welcome to the forums! If you post tech questions you will get a much better and faster set of responses if you post in the tech section. The lounge is for everything BUT VDrums related. How about a nice intro on the Foyer thread?

As for Garageband..or any DAW....going via midi or USB is how you get multiple separate channels from the module into your DAW, otherwise you can connect each direct out from the back of the module into a separate input on your DAW hardware to the PC...most folks don't have multiple actual cable connections like that tho, (ie, a device with multiple input jacks that hooks to your PC via USB or Firewire of the new format from Apple, Thunderbolt, unless you have a killer setup like a studio grade Pro Tools. Easier to go Midi to USB but you still need a good sound card/box/interface to avoid latency.

The Forum search engine is your friend, you can get almost any set up you need info on from the threads already posted if you hunt for them, and hunting isn't hard. Plus, in the tech section, those that have the setup you will be working with can tell you first hand what you need.

Good luck!

K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Yep, go through the VST primer in that section of the forum and it should answer pretty much all your questions.
      DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
      Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I run a mono instrument cable out from my TD 20 to a Zoom16, then to my Mac via USB cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
          Welcome to the forums! If you post tech questions you will get a much better and faster set of responses if you post in the tech section. The lounge is for everything BUT VDrums related. How about a nice intro on the Foyer thread?

As for Garageband..or any DAW....going via midi or USB is how you get multiple separate channels from the module into your DAW, otherwise you can connect each direct out from the back of the module into a separate input on your DAW hardware to the PC...most folks don't have multiple actual cable connections like that tho, (ie, a device with multiple input jacks that hooks to your PC via USB or Firewire of the new format from Apple, Thunderbolt, unless you have a killer setup like a studio grade Pro Tools. Easier to go Midi to USB but you still need a good sound card/box/interface to avoid latency.

The Forum search engine is your friend, you can get almost any set up you need info on from the threads already posted if you hunt for them, and hunting isn't hard. Plus, in the tech section, those that have the setup you will be working with can tell you first hand what you need.

Good luck!

K ;-)
          Thank you! I'm an ultra-noob, though - Do I run wires from the kit to a MIDI, and then run the MIDI to the laptop? Or how does that work? And do you prefer MIDI over a regular USB if I'm wanting to channel each piece of the kit separately to edit them individually in Garage Band?

Comment

Bump!

Comment

I have no idea about precise workings on the TD30, but I do know if you want to use the TD30 as a MIDI device then you only have to use a USB connection to your computer.
              But if you want to record the TD30's own sounds, in separate channels, then it's an entirely different ball game.
              You'll need to wire up the 8 outputs from the TD30 into a mixer board, so that you can then run something like an ADAT (or USB again) into your computer sound card with the 6 digital channels intact. I don't know if the digital coax supports more than 2 channels you see, so I suspect you'll need a decent mixer board that can do the analogue to digital conversion again for computer editing.
              ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ 2box DrumIt 5 MKII
              ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
              PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                I have no idea about precise workings on the TD30, but I do know if you want to use the TD30 as a MIDI device then you only have to use a USB connection to your computer.
                But if you want to record the TD30's own sounds, in separate channels, then it's an entirely different ball game.
                You'll need to wire up the 8 outputs from the TD30 into a mixer board, so that you can then run something like an ADAT (or USB again) into your computer sound card with the 6 digital channels intact. I don't know if the digital coax supports more than 2 channels you see, so I suspect you'll need a decent mixer board that can do the analogue to digital conversion again for computer editing.
                Sounds complicated. And expensive. I guess it would just be better to record it as a whole set instead of figuring out how to get each channel into GarageBand?

Comment

Working...
                X