Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hybrid kits. Anyone play them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid kits. Anyone play them?

Since I've been using an E kit, I have experienced all the typical issues from not quite right cymbals to the bias in the drumming/music crowd.

They have always offered more pros than cons for me so I'm standing by them. In order to combat the aesthetics, I simply placed a dummy kick in front of the kit so no one could look up my skirt

To further address this issue, I have converted an A kit to E and now I have questions. I will eventually figure it out but I thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone has been through it.

When I first went to an E kit, I felt the cymbal (and HH) sounds were inadequate. Now that I have the hybrid, I find I'm not loving the A cymbals like I should.

Is it because they are too loud? Is it because I am hearing them a mili second before I hear my E drums thru the PA across the room? Is it simply because I got accustomed to the E cymbals? Is it because E cymbals aren't really that bad and I just bought into popular opinion?

I haven't yet played them with my band yet so maybe they will blend into the mix. All I know is, with an A crash, you have to hit it hard and hard = loud. With the E's, you can get the crash at a lower volume. And, I do have the thinnest crashes I could find. Maybe some makes super thins?

I don't play much ride cymbal so that is of little importance to me. I'm strictly a HH and crash kind of guy.

Any input will be appreciated.

What module are you using? Most e-drums have very good editorial options for every sound so I'm sure that you could find some cymbal sound that you like. I feel the same way as you do, after playing mostly e-kits for the past couple of years I find acoustic drums to be so. damn. loud! The right kind of e-cymbals and module should provide you with everything you need at whatever sound level you feel is comfortable. Even though I like going shopping, trying out different acoustic cymbals, I will probably never be 100% satisfied with them the way I can with e-cymbals since I can make them so personal. Although I haven't played them alot yet, I love my Yamaha RHH-135 hi-hat, it feels great, responds great and I can get it so sound however I'd like. I hope my rambling makes any sense, painkillers makes me spam-y.

Comment

I love pain killers but....be careful. I have seen some damage done to people very close to me. Fortunately, they make me feel like crap after two days so I won't ever have issues.

I have actually started to like the e cymbal sounds but have been bowing to peer pressure to play A's

Maybe I'll just paint the E's gold

Comment

Haha, no worries, I'm in the hospital since 2 weeks back, so it's all supervised Well why don't you go for some Gen16 cymbals? Expensive as hell, but it either those or like.. Alesis Surge cymbals if you want e-cymbals that look "real". I don't think I'll want to use acoustic cymbals ever again in a normal rehearsal space or a smaller gig. E-cymbals feels more.. Tamed and safe if need be and I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything vital when using a 3 zone e-cymbal compared to a acoustic one.

Comment

Hospital....2 weeks? Sorry Dude. You must be going stir crazy.

I don't know where I will end up but I know I will get there if I keep going.

Hey...that is some motivational poster **** right there ^

Comment

Well du you have any e-cymbals you can use? If you look past the visuals of most e-cymbals I think your bandmates would appreciate them aswell since they'll be.rehearsing with a basically mastered and mixed drumkit that isn't too soft or too loud, but every individual drum and cymbal has just the volume and sound characteristics they need for the music you play

Comment

Working...
            X