Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counterintuitive: making a monster kit smaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterintuitive: making a monster kit smaller

Hi all.

I've perused one other thread on a similar topic, and so I apologize if this has been covered before, if so, please gently point me in the right direction and shut this down to avoid spam. But I wanted to discuss a topic I've been spending a fair amount of time thinking about to get your opinions as way more seasoned drummers!

Recently, I was thinking about focusing on using a smaller kit, assuming I find useful ways to make it work for various subjects. I suppose it is somewhat of the minimalist in me, but it also has practical benefits - less to lug around, less to worry about, and overall forces me to be more creative in terms of what I can produce. I should mention I am a newbie drummer, and don't gig with my kit, so the lugging isn't really a concern anyway, but it would mean less to worry about while working in the studio. I currently have a monster kit (it has 6 toms, 2 crashes, china, splash, ride, cowbell, and assorted other stuff - will post pics if anyone is interested), but have been thinking of scaling it back to a really stripped down kit of maybe 2 toms, two cymbals, etc and really focusing on my technique and creativity, especially as I am still learning this great art. I know more hardware gives more things to hit and therefore should give greater room for creativity, but this can also go both ways, in terms of too much choice, and an overall daunting piece of equipment for a relatively new drummer. It would probably also look less intimidating, which is an important psychological component for a new drummer such as myself.

I was hoping to get some of your thoughts and opinions on this, thinking of this as a temporary experiment (I would probably reassemble the monster at some point!). What do you guys think? Anyone out there run this experiment already and have some thoughts on their experiences?

Thanks!

Ryan
    TD12/TD4/Sonor A2E Hybrid, Fender Stratocaster-esque guitar, plastic guitars, drums, turntable - games originally got me into drumming. Along with musical role models.

Yep..I've flip flopped back and forth. Every kit I've built has had it's merits. Personally...I like monsters...but I enjoy my 4piece kit too. I think the thing to focus on is having what you need for your present purposes. Just because you have a "monster" doesn't mean you can't concentrate on creativity or just use various parts of the kit. On the other hand if having a small kit makes you feel better...then by all means "cut it down". The point here is have fun! You can always reincarnate your Kit in whatever configuration you like at any time.
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I'ts weird, could you do a jazz gig with 6 toms?, and on the flip side doing metal with 1 rack tom. A lot of it is perception, IMHO. I agree with Daniel that it's what you need for the present purpose.

Comment

I wanna see pics of the kit in it's current setup I'd also like to see how it ends up after you've downscaled, I think most of us feels the same :P

Comment

Daniel takes the term "monster kit" to the extreme, so take his advise with a grain of salt. A scaled back kit for him is what you call your monster kit.
          I think my work is done here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
            A scaled back kit for him is what you call your monster kit.

Bwahahahaha!
            That will be a 'Post of the Month' nominee...
            Greetings from Switzerland,
            - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
              Daniel takes the term "monster kit" to the extreme, so take his advise with a grain of salt. A scaled back kit for him is what you call your monster kit.
              hehehehe...I can't argue with that. However..like I said...I do have a nice 4 piece at the church.
              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

Hi Ryan, I think it is always a good idea to concentrate on technique and improving your drumming . If scaling it down to a little bit smaller kit helps you accomplish this, go for it. You don't have to sell off your "extra stuff" right away! Just hang onto it and enjoy your modified kit. Welcome and happy drumming!

Comment

I went from 8 toms to 4 and the fun didn't get in half. It's good to do something different, to break set patterns.

Comment

Big kit or small kit seems irrelevant to me.

No matter how many drums you have, you still only have two hands and two feet.
                    Check out my music: http://www.myspace.com/kellypaletta

Comment

Originally posted by klp View Post
                      Big kit or small kit seems irrelevant to me.

No matter how many drums you have, you still only have two hands and two feet.
                      That doesn't seem to deter Mangini.

Comment

I really enjoy this video....

....so few kitpieces, such a smoking performance! ...screw Mangini...
                        Thanks to Anders, for sharing this with us.

(Could some of the other members maybe reset my jaw, please? It dropped to the floor and didn't come back....)
                        I'll rest my case...

Greetings from Switzerland,
                        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Meh.....nice chops.....but mangini he is not.

Comment

hey daniel, it's been a while, soooo what are you cooking drum wise these days? i understand you are down sizing? this i gotta see. lol! pics please when done.
                            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                              hey daniel, it's been a while, soooo what are you cooking drum wise these days? i understand you are down sizing? this i gotta see. lol! pics please when done.
                              Hey jammin! How are you my friend? I'm always cooking something up...my sig tells it all. I'll post pics when this one's complete.

Comment

Working...
                              X