Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somebody should really buy this and write a review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody should really buy this and write a review.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/4423358038.html

Looks interesting!

Comment

Yes, I think Jovato should buy this and write a review!
      The ad sets a very expensive tone by saying Experience Music Project and Rare.
      The shells are still being made, that is to say the MFR. is still in business.
      The module is one of less than fifty made and may have a known electronic issue (needs a chip change).
      It would be interesting to know what the expectations of the seller are (ballpark price).
      My opinion is it may be best suited left in a museum setting especially if the price is in the clouds.
      Maybe one day it will be on Pawn Stars!
      Rare does not always mean high value.

Just sayin
      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I remember being sorely tempted to buy one of these when it was new. I have owned a few odd space muffic pads over the years and love them. If I recall, the module was multi-layered samples. An old forum member by the name of WangChung (yes he played for them too) searched for one of those modules for a couple of years. He swore it was all that and a bag of chips. I recognize that it is dated technology, but if I had money to burn, I'd be tempted. I doubt he wants as much as you think, but it is only of value to those of us who cheered on real innovation from the "little guys" in e-drums through tthe years. Space muffins the precurser to all of these A to E conversions and sample libraries. Well, Simmons had multi-layered samples first, but they played like boards. Ddrum, got it just right, but they lookied ugly. Al saw the complete picture ahead of his time.

Comment

Wang Chung's drummer used to hang around here? Dance Hall Days is like... THE song I get in my head every time someone talks about the 80's. It and The Outfield - Your Love.
          Anyways, that kit looks really nice, I'd definitely buy it if I had the cash and space for it. The wrap on the kit looks rather ugly from that one picture there is of it, but that module is very interesting.

Comment

Wang Chung. I saw them when they were pronounced Huang Chung. First album was great.

Comment

I've played Space Muffins years back. They blew me away. They are the whole reason I have this obsession with A2E builds.
              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
              http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Seriously, whats the deal with Space Muffins? I have heard of these things ever since I started looking at my TD-30KV a couple years back, but no one has a set of these and despite all this, all I hear is that these things are the best ever. Its just a mesh head on an acoustic shell with triggers inside, right? Just your usual A2E conversion?
                I think my work is done here.

Comment

Not at all- they were foam filled with a trigger on a reactor plate and used normal mylar heads. Top quality shells and hardware too. Lots of variety in wraps. Oh, and Al would run the cables through the hardware for you.

Comment

Ah, so a reflector plate design with 'Real' heads.... That sounds familiar...

(*cough* ....DDrum Cast pads/Simmons Hexahead/Alesis RealFeel....*cough*)

Just with a bit more 'wood' around it!

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 04-21-14, 06:17 PM.
                    Greetings from Switzerland,
                    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Yes. Similar to the Ddrum design with more foam on top so that they had a better feel. Way better feel and triggering than the Alesis. I wasn't familiar with the Hexahead, but it looks to be identical to the old Tama Tech Stars. Regardless, Al was offering real feeling pads in whatever shell and wraps you wanted. Kind of like Diamond Drums now. Al also manufactures acoustic drums, so the attention to detail was great. The only way you could have purchased anything remotely like this at the time was to try and build it yourself. RET later completely ripped off his design, but they never had anything like the shell options or the internal wiring. The brain I have never actually heard in person, but it has taken on a sort of legendary status. It had an incredible degree of flexibility, and I've always ben curious about how it really sounded.

Comment

I remember discussions about Spacemuffins vs. RET.
                        However, they both seem to be very 'superseded' by Drumtec, Jobeky, and *especially* Diamond!
                        Greetings from Switzerland,
                        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Jovato View Post
                          Yes. Similar to the Ddrum design with more foam on top so that they had a better feel. Way better feel and triggering than the Alesis. I wasn't familiar with the Hexahead, but it looks to be identical to the old Tama Tech Stars. Regardless, Al was offering real feeling pads in whatever shell and wraps you wanted. Kind of like Diamond Drums now. Al also manufactures acoustic drums, so the attention to detail was great. The only way you could have purchased anything remotely like this at the time was to try and build it yourself. RET later completely ripped off his design, but they never had anything like the shell options or the internal wiring. The brain I have never actually heard in person, but it has taken on a sort of legendary status. It had an incredible degree of flexibility, and I've always ben curious about how it really sounded.
                          Yep...Al was the first to offer this type custom build. Great stuff. Oh..and if you heard Wang Chung...you've hear the Zero Point Module.
                          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Working...
                          X