Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question!

Alright, so uuh.. I've got all I need for my A2E conversion except the cables, thought I'd order a bunch of cables today, although I was thinking: Would the plug of a normal 1/4" cable fit through the vent hole on the drums? I know I'll have to take out the metal rings in the vent holes, but it's either that, getting a bunch of short cables to go from the Intriggs to the ventholes and then some adapters that fit through and then more cables to go from there to the module, or cutting holes in the reso-heads and get the cables out through there.

TheYardbird.

Another option is to cut a small hole in your reso head for the cable to pass through up into your Intrigg. Im not sure what Im going to do for my snare but Im thinking I will make a small cable to go from intrigg to the female jack adapter that fits into the vent hole. I will probably have to make the vent hole larger to accomodate the female jack.

Comment

• hemiboy
      hemiboy commented
      Editing a comment
      Wolfgang from Troggera will probably be offering some jack options before long .most guys would like some other jack mounting options than cutting a hole in the reso. Don't get me wrong, it works, but there are cleaner, better solutions

That's what I said? ;P
    Another solution I thought of was to get a hold of a male 1/4" to female mini-stereo cable that goes from the Intrigg to the venthole and probably a bit through it, and then a mini-stereo male to 1/4" male cable to go between the first cable and the module.
    This one from the Intrigg and through the vent hole: http://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_tpa_1003_wj.htm
    And then connect one of these to go between the first cable and the module: http://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_20013_15.htm

Comment

That would work fine but I'm looking at making it a neat and tidy permanent solution. I might buy a small cable with a male adapter on one end, cut the other end off it and fit connectors. Then I simply connect it to long barrel jack adapter the screws into the shell.

Comment

Yeah I'd like something that I can screw onto the inside of the shells that basically makes the vent hole a female 1/4" connector, it would be a great solution, just plug the TRS cable into the shell and you're ready to go basically. Very nifty when transporting the kit and such. Unfortunately I'd have to order something like that from eBay and the shipping costs and possible import charges makes it very expensive so it's almost not worth it tbh.

Comment

This is what I've used before... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-1-...-/190816570970

Comment

Yeah I was thinking about those, but don't you need to cut you TRS cables and fit it into that piece for it to work?

Comment

Yes, cut the end of the cable and crimp connectors onto each indibidual cable and fit onto this long barrel adaptor.

Comment

Even something as simple as that is probably way too complex for me.

Comment

• hemiboy
                  hemiboy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You got that job Yardbird , just take it slow and make sure you are set before you cut the cables, first one is scary after that it is a walk in the park! Lol. Nevermind, I think I hear the scissors cutting the hole in the reso head as we speak.

Ok, I've been thinking about a solution for you and I go back to my earlier suggestion of cutting a hole in the reso head. It could be large enough to get your hand in to connect / disconnect the cable coming from the module to the Intrigg inside the drum. Here's how you could do it... Use a normal Mylar reso head...a dirt cheap one. Use a saucer or small round plate as a template and cut out a large circle in the reso head with a sharp knife or scissors. Put the reso head on as usual, this will give you access to the the Intrigg and eliminate most of the noise that a reso head could produce. How does that sound?

Comment

• jpsquared482
                  jpsquared482 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hopefully it doesn't "sound" at all!!

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
                Ok, I've been thinking about a solution for you and I go back to my earlier suggestion of cutting a hole in the reso head. It could be large enough to get your hand in to connect / disconnect the cable coming from the module to the Intrigg inside the drum.

I'm not so sure, whether a hole 'large enough to get my hand in' is a reasonable idea on a 12" tom or a 14" floor. You can just as well leave the reso-head aside on the 12", and you'd have to turn the 14" around each time...
                Last edited by hairmetal-81; 04-19-14, 11:31 AM.
                Greetings from Switzerland,
                - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• hemiboy
                  hemiboy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why not do the jacks and be done with it? You can do this young grasshopper, lol!

A reso head on an electronic drum is purely for aesthetics. If you wish to keep lugs and a hoop on the bottom of your drums, cutting a circular hole big enough in a regular drum head makes no difference to its acoustic properties than if you didn't have a head at all. I've tried it but I prefer a nice tidy solution so I opted to go down the jack route. I was just outlining an alternative for you as you said you didn't feel comfortable cutting a cable, installing connectors and fitting a long barrel jack. Why not just try out the jack solution? You will feel much happier with results once you are done.

Comment

What exactly do I need to do for the jack solution? Otherwise I'll just cut a 1" big hole in the resoheads and get the cable through there and connect it while the resoheads and still off the drum.

Comment

Here's just another idea:
                    Mr. Wronka is showing you the connecting panel on a A2E drum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7g-UyCiQ#t=270

[Not that I'm unaware that a reso doesn't have an impact on sound, btw.]

HTH
                    Greetings from Switzerland,
                    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I have no idea what he said in that video, to me it's like listening to Rammstein but without any instruments x) Although that reso head with the panel did look really nice, although quite pricey and I don't think I'd like one of those resos on my bassdrum so that would still leave that..

Comment

Working...
                      X