Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum Projects With Old Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Projects With Old Drums

I was just wondering if anyone here turns their old drums (acoustic really) or other instruments into things other than playable instruments?

I have a drum coffee table, cymbal lamp (which needs some improvement but it works as extra light for sheet music), some pot plants and I'm currently looking at making a seat/foot rest with another. I've seen some amazing home and studio projects with repurposed instruments, mainly drums, but I'm always looking for new ideas.
    Kaiju
    Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Pics, or it didn't happen!
    electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

They're bad photos, but it gives you the general idea.

The table (just a bass drum with a glass top):

One of many pot plants:

The old cymbal at the back, in the very corner, is the lamp cymbal. It's taller than the kit so I can angle it over to light up sheet music.

The lights themselves are just battery operated push lights, but I'm thinking of replacing them with something wired and brighter.
      Attached Files
      Kaiju
      Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

I did have an indoor plant, a couple of toms stacked with plants growing, one was a creeper thing growing up an old guitar, but I can't find the photo. It looked really cool, but the cats kept eating the plants so it had to be moved.
        Kaiju

Comment

Nice I think the bass drum table is cool.

Comment

When you say old, I have old. I have had these since 1970 and actually this was my kit at the time. I restored the snare back then and was starting on the bass drum but did not finish it. The hi-hat stand is an old Ludwig. The snare and bass drums are both Ludwig & Ludwig. They are all older than I am. I still think about restoring the bass drum or seeing if my old high school would want it. I paid $1 for it.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 4 photos.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

• TheYardbird
              TheYardbird commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn that snare looks good!

• Oenone
              Oenone commented
              Editing a comment
              Restore! Definitely restore it. There's an old antique store near where we used to live, they often had drums and cymbals in, but none of them were the right projects for me. I'll have to go back and see what they have now.

The snare is very loud as well. I have a practice pad on it and the stand has high as it will go so I can practice on it sometimes.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

• TheYardbird
              TheYardbird commented
              Editing a comment
              Wish I had a classy snare like that. Love the look on vintage snares.

Nice coffee table, plant pot and lamp!

Comment

Love the creativity, keep it coming!!!

K ;-)
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

A friend of mine have done similar things with her old drumkit
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Oenone
                  Oenone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love that floor lamp! I might need to find an old floor tom.

Are those lights inside that floor tom yardbird?

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
                  Are those lights inside that floor tom yardbird?
                  Yeah she managed to turn her old floortom into a lamp
                  You can get real neat looking coffee-tables/lamps from floortoms with a little bit of imagination :P

Comment

Love these innovative ideas. The lighted floor tom is awesome. I just may have to borrow that idea.

Comment

A floortom with the woodgrain showing would look sweet with some lamps in it. Oh and wood hoops! More wood!

Comment

My most recent project, an office garden. I added the fairy lights, thank you TheYardbird for the idea. These are all succulents and air plants, so very low maintenance.

The side view.

The top.

With lights!
                        Attached Files
                        Kaiju

Comment

Working...
                        X