Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dampening mesh-heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dampening mesh-heads?

Ok, so, as most of you probably know by now I have started my own little A2E-project. I have fitted my drums with 2-ply mesh-heads from 682drums along with Intriggs from Triggera.
    And as most of you know 2-ply mesh-heads have a certain buzz to them, I'd say it sound kinda like when your snare starts buzzing when the guitarist or basist has their amps directed at you or if they just play too loud.
    I also noticed that by applying a little bit of pressure a bit off-centre on the head, most of the buzz disappears and it becomes much more quiter. So those different dampening thingys for acoustic drums came to mind so I looked at what is available here in Sweden and I saw the Gibraltar SC-4400 and the Gibraltar SC-4235, ones is a external dampening system and the other one is internal.

Has anyone used any of these? If you haven't: Do you think it would work? I don't know how much pressure these things can apply to the head.
    REMO has somekind of active snare dampening system, I think they call it the HK-24-17-00 (this swedish website is quite badly designed so I donno really) and it's apparently designed by Dave Weckl (fancy!), well every brand probably has something like this.

Anyways, do any of you have any experience with any of these or similar products? Or do you know any other sort of black magic that can dampen the buzz?

//Mike.

Never tried any of them but I will be waiting on the boys to enlighten us both. My 1) Floor tom is booming , everything else sounds ok

Comment

Before you install any fancy dampening hardware device, how 'bout a piece of Moongel?
      Greetings from Switzerland,
      - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• ronyd
        ronyd commented
        Editing a comment
        OOOoooooo HM, web developer are U Mr J-SON???

• hairmetal-81
        hairmetal-81 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not quite ...but I think I forget about my pacifistic manners and kick Mr. Parse in the [beeep] if I'll ever encounter him again on this forum....

Well I have no idea if moongel would work either. Since moongel is made to just kill the extra vibrations in your drumhead while the products I mentioned seem to be able to apply more pressure on one spot and that's what help with the buzzing. If you'd manage to glue both layers of the head together on the right spot you'd probably get rid of the buzzing aswell.
      I guess the solution I'm thinking about is to press down the upper layer onto the lower one so that they don't have the space to resonate on their own, creating this buzz. The buzz will still be there at some extension, but I managed to get rid of most of it just by putting 2 fingers on the drum. I'm afraid the pressure has to be applied rather far in on the drum and not out by the rim since the layers are already pressed together at the outer inches of the head.

Comment

I doubt moongel can help with mesh head buzzing. HM was kidding, I guess
        electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

What if you would use a foam 'donut' underneath the head? (Clarification: I mean an O-ring, kind of like the Rem-O's, but without the plastic ring sticking to it, just the foam-ring!)
          - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

I guess the buzzing noise is from when the two layers resonates and frequently hit eachother, so the ways to stop it would be to put something between the layers, wich kinda spoils the idea with two-ply heads tbh. Or to get them to act more as one, thicker head, wich is kinda what happen when you put pressure on top of the head pushing the top layer down onto the layer under it, that way they do not resonate individually so most of the buzzing should go away.
            I don't see how a foam ring underneath could help o.O

Comment

• hemiboy
              hemiboy commented
              Editing a comment
              All mesh heads " buzz" a little, but if it really bothers you, try Hairmetal' s suggestion. It would be a relatively inexpensive attempt at a remedy. It is your money, but I wouldn't screw around with gluing layers of mesh together, but that is just my opinion.

Hmmmmm ..thinking about this...would applying an internal or external dampening device not affect triggering? Might it affect the eveness of the triggering across the head? Could it even affect positional sensing dependimg on trigger placement?

Comment

• hairmetal-81
              hairmetal-81 commented
              Editing a comment
              Positional Sensing is beyond the question, anyway!
              In this case, we're talking rim-triggers to begin with ...and the module itself is a Yamaha!

Maybe try a local music store to avoid shipping charges with a good return policy and try one out

Comment

@ hairmetal...i realise that positional sensing isnt relevant with rim triggers but there may be others who are interested in the effects of these dampeners who have modules that have positional sensing capabilities.

Comment

• KennyinDundee
                KennyinDundee commented
                Editing a comment
                And centrally mounted triggers I forgot to add.

All good!
              I think 'edtc' has successfully used the foam-O's with his Hart-Snare and a central-mounted trigger, to dampen double-triggering (and possible 'buzzing')

The foam dampens the sustain of the head resonance ... if this resonance is louder than the treshold of the module , it causes multiple triggering ...like a real snare without dampening , you geet a long "boing " when you hit close to the rim ...2 box pads have foam all around

HTH
              - Dänoh

Comment

Working...
              X