Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robotic Prosthesis Turns Drummer into a Three-Armed Cyborg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robotic Prosthesis Turns Drummer into a Three-Armed Cyborg

Interesting prosthetic research for drummers

http://www.news.gatech.edu/2014/03/0...e-armed-cyborg

-SD-

looks cumbersome.............
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I like how the second stick listens and "improvises"....hope it's a regular drummer programming that part and not someone who thinks more is better.
      K
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

I don't think I'm gonna go chop my arm off just yet, but the cyborgs are coming.

Comment

• BWaj
          BWaj commented
          Editing a comment
          haha, agreed. But since my right arm is having issues, it's nice to know there is an alternative!

• BWaj
          BWaj commented
          Editing a comment
          haha, agreed. But since my right arm is having issues, it's nice to know there is an alternative!

Hmm... Rick Allen has been playing with one arm for decades and plays waaaaayyyyyyy better then this guy with his prosthetic. Nothing against the guy, but I think he should follow in Rick's footsteps and get some e-drums and lots of pedals. I dont see this becoming a viable option for decades, and after that it will cost ~$200K for the thing. Seriously, a E-kit and pedals along with practice will have this guy up and running in less than a year.
        I think my work is done here.

Comment

• BWaj
          BWaj commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't see so good, is that my Dad griping about how things were back in his day? Seems to me like this is a prototype and it took Rick Allen a long time to get his playing back up to speed. I'm all for this guy continuing to work on this, hell, I used to sequence a few songs when I started on edrums so I could hit the bar on a song I did not like to play, lol. Anything that makes my life easier, I'm all for!
      Working...
      X