Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this "New Metal"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this "New Metal"?

Taken from the net, made my day!

In an age when nearly every song ever recorded is available at a moment’s notice, it’s easy to get cynical about music. Everything’s been done before and we have a never-ending Spotify playlist to prove it.
    Flying in from Japan like a flaming battle axe covered in glitter and bubble gum is Babymetal, a band whose pitch-perfect execution of an absolutely insane concept has the potential to instantly banish any thoughts of ‟it's all been done” from your brain.
    The premise behind Babymetal is simple: Take a trio of Japanese teen girl pop stars, choreographed dance moves and all, and have them sing over hard-charging death metal riffs. Even the band’s name is a reference to the idea’s gonzo novelty. "We want to be the only one in the world," singer Su-Metal said in an interview with Razor TV. "We use the 'Baby' because we are newborn, a new genre."
    The band released its debut, eponymous full-length album last month. Check out the music video for the album's first single, entitled, ‟Give Me Choco!”
    Full article here:
    http://www.dailydot.com/lol/babymeta...-japanese-pop/

DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

This is almost too melodic for New-Metal.... (but I gotta admit I like it - must be I don't understand any lyrics ;D) ...New-Metal is more like ...
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Hmmm...the new version of 80's Bubblegum Hair Metal maybe? If it were in English...I'd probly be able to tolerate it....in small doses....maybe.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Why...? Just... Why? WHY DO THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SO STRANGE?! :C
        I would love to see a real metal musician, like Phil Anselmo, come on-stage, pick up one of those singers and use her as a weapon to bludgeon the other 2 to death.
        Yes, Iam really grumpy

Comment

I'm going to have to be a bit righteous over this subject so forgive me in advance.

Country of origin, language of lyrics should not matter what-so-ever, to anybody, music is a global language.

Unfortunately, looking around we know this simply isn't true. US labels dominate, and Asia (with Japan being 2nd largest music industry in the world) see very little success outside their own borders. So I do get quite disgusted about this and I can't help myself but tune into subjects like these.

If I had to rate singing languages by preference actually, I would put English and Japanese on a level pegging, with German, Russian and Spanish following. Like classical music, there is advantages to lack of lyrics, in the same way you lack understanding of lyrics in a foreign language, other things will stick out in the music.

Japanese is also a very gentle dialect that can be used in many genres confidently, so even in metal, they can't do aggressive like Germans do aggressive, but they can do fun and joyful better than other languages, or the creepy child trope, which has worked brilliantly for decades, figures that it gels with metal so nicely.

With that out of the way, I like Babymetal, specifically I like about 6 songs from them which is actually above average for artists I watch, since I'm extremely picky. "Catch Me If You Can" - is one of my favourite practice tracks. They cannot however dethrone my goddess Yousei Teikoku in the electro metal dept though.

Fun fact; I started listening to JPop as a joke, used to scoff at the idea like everybody else, way too embarrassed to tell people what I really listened too. Yet now I watch out for more music from Japan than my own origins, the UK.

Things are going to stay this way for quite a while I imagine. Why? I think it's like a parallel universe. The things you love in the past (The 80s) are being made in Japan today, but in better quality and performed with more talent and attention to detail, creativity, fashion, atmospherics. Musicians playing guitars like the old-skool, yes please!

With this fusion of genres happening too, the songs are less boring to me. But they are still made with the same ‘winning formula’ in mind so you never get too lost. Apparently this is also good for my brain. Not too complex but not just one idea stuck on a repetitive loop – looking at you, Get Lucky

Furthermore, the Japanese are such nice people, you hardly get any of the scandals or shock tactics to grab headlines and attract the wrong audience (well it matters to me, at least) did I warn you about my bias? Okay, so Japanese don’t often show any restraint, and do tend to over-produce a lot of music, singers use too much vibrato, but its criticism that pales in comparison to what I could say about the abominations of music put out by some supposed world famous “award winning” artists of the 21st century.
          ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
          ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
          PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

I dont care for any music as a whole that i cant understand the lyrics....no matter what language it is. That said....thrre are many examples of such that i do like the musical content whether i can tolerate the lyrical content or vocal style. Judging this song for what it is has no bearing on the people or culture....apples and oranges.
            8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
            http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

That's a catchy tune. Has some nice melodic progressions and harmonies.

Courtesy one of the comments in that BabyMetal video, I found this gem from "Liv Moon".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34JucKDcoic

rc
              - - -
              Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Ok, I'll say it...

It sucks. I don't like it. It hurts my ears and eyes.

There. I said it. Sorry, but it had to be done.

Mark
                www.RemedyRocksKC.com

Comment

No worries, Mark! ...some like it more 'traditional', I guess!
                  - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                    No worries, Mark! ...some like it more 'traditional', I guess!
                    No, it's not that. I like a lot of different stuff from alternative to classical to hard rock to pop. I just don't like THIS!

Not saying anything bad about those who do. Everyone's different. It just ain't for me. That's all.

Mark
                    www.RemedyRocksKC.com

Comment

First.... GET OFF MY LAWN...
                      Second... yes, that thar see-ucks

Comment

All three girls at the same time baby...heh heh!!

K ;-)
                        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Muhahahaha.....

heh heh!

- Dänoh

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                            Country of origin, language of lyrics should not matter what-so-ever, to anybody, music is a global language.
                            I completely disagree. Of course it matters and that is not a bad thing. Not that there's anything wrong with people singing in a language I don't understand, the people who understand them know what they're listening to, but the lyrics, the subject matter, that matters to most people. It's not a race thing, I just want to know that I'm not listen to a song about kicking kittens and punching babies. I don't care if it's one of my favourite bands and the instrumental music sounds great, if it's a sucky song about things I don't like I'm not interested in listening to it. There are plenty of songs in English that I can't stand because of the lyrics.

That said, I can tolerate some foreign songs, even enjoy some, but not this. That's just a matter of taste, I never, ever want to hear that again and if they were singing in English I'd feel the same way.
                            Kaiju
                            Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

The language is not my problem, my biggest problem is the way they sing. I've never really liked female metal singers tbh, but these girls are insanely annoying to me.
                              I enjoy quite alot of music that I can't understand all the lyrics to, like Rammstein and Emil Bulls if we're talking about german bands or Sepultura as an example of portuguese, even if they have many songs with english lyrics.
                              Still, the blend of nyan-nyan cat and death metal almost gives me a seizure.

Comment

• daebado
                                daebado commented
                                Editing a comment
                                +1 and then some!!
                            Working...
                            X