Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying a TD4-SX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimorlando
    commented on 's reply
    I have the KD8 since 2009. I have had no wobble with it.

• jthread
    commented on 's reply
    I meant some of the pads are a little small.

• Genou812
    commented on 's reply
    Yea the kick does bang around just a little, it is on carpet but I did find myself adjusting it. Out of the whole kit I wonder about how long the kick will last. It was a demo once upon a time, no telling how many times it was stomped on. Just for ****s and giggles I'm gonna change out the heads. Still trying to "feel" out the kit, placement and all. What do you mean about the toms?

• hairmetal-81
    replied
    Originally posted by Genou812 View Post
    I wound up buying a Roland TD9KX2G last Saturday. (...) So far I love it, and I especially like the VH11 hi hat. The other thing was it had an extra tom that the original set did not come with, so today I am one happy camper!!!
    Good job! Congrats!

You didn't happen to bring that banjo to ....let's see...the 'Banjo Center', did you?

Leave a comment:

• jthread
    replied
    Re: the TD9K. It's a good thing it has mesh heads but the 8" tom pads may take some getting used to. Also, I don't know about the small kick drum, and more importantly, the stand. I've read a couple of comments that the small kick drum stands are not stable enough and needs additional support. Let us know how that works out.

Leave a comment:

• Genou812
    replied
    Thanks guys, the fellow selling the TD4 was not being completely accurate in his description, there was definitely more wrong with that deal than met the eye.

I wound up buying a Roland TD9KX2G last Saturday. It was a demo /closeout and I got more than I was looking for. I had been to three stores that day shopping around and kinda settled on a TD11. I had a vintage Gibson banjo that I needed to trade in so I went back to one of the local chain stores and they wouldn't consider it even though they deal in used EQ. So I went to the national chain store they made me a deal, while I was waiting on the appraisal I went back to look at the TD11 and just happened to discover the TD9 packed away in a corner. Originally it listed for 2600+ but had sat for 2 years. They had it marked down several times and the last was 1499. I walked away with it for 1G with my trade. What I got was the TD9X1 module, PD105BK Snare, 4 - PD85BK Toms, VH11 with a the HH stand, a CY13R & CY12C , KD9, all this on a MDS9 Stand. So far I love it, and I especially like the VH11 hi hat. The other thing was it had an extra tom that the original set did not come with, so today I am one happy camper!!!

Leave a comment:

• R_Z
    replied
    I agree with the above posts. I can't imagine why the heads would be busting on the toms. The bass drum, maybe, but not those tom triggers. Always best to try a set of electronic drums before you buy them. If this is an ebay purchase, you should be aware of the sellers feedback info. Sounds a bit iffy to me, but you'll have to be the final judge. good luck.

Leave a comment:

• hairmetal-81
    replied
    Best to take somebody with you who knows about (electronic) drums! - Two pair of eyes see more than just one...

HTH

Leave a comment:

• jthread
    replied
    Check to be sure ALL of the triggers are working, including the rim triggers. I bought a used Roland set (T-20) and the rim triggers are pretty iffy. FWIW: I like the mesh heads too. They maybe a little bouncier than acoustic heads but, I seem to like them. Maybe even better. I'd be leery of "gently" used if he had to replace the heads. Doesn't sound too gentle to me. YMMV. Another thing is, I would save as much as I could and get an "all mesh" drum head set. I haven't tried the Yamaha or Alesis sets but the Roland mesh heads have a nice feel to them. I guess I should point out I have the TD-20 set and it is different than the lower end Roland kits so the best thing to do is try as many as you can before buying. I tried out my TD-20 before buying and knew I liked it. I did find out the rim triggers were not working properly later and the Roland support is basically non-existent. I wouldn't let that put you off of Roland tho. They make a nice product.

Leave a comment:

• TheYardbird
    replied
    So you won't be seeing the kit in person before buying it? Make sure all cables are included and functioning and that all mounts and such are whole, a broken mount could cost a bit to replace if you have a stroke of bad luck. Other than that I'd say it like buying anything else used, look at how worn it looks to be, if he has changed mesh heads at least once on the kit then they should be in OK condition, otherwise I don't know what the dude does while playing.

Leave a comment:

• jonm42
    replied
    If you can afford it, mesh heads are the way to go. Much better feel (says the relative newbie ). I have a TD-4KX2S and love the feel.

Leave a comment:

• Genou812
    started a topic Thinking of buying a TD4-SX

Thinking of buying a TD4-SX

OK guys new to all of this haven't touched a set in 15 years. Looking at buying a used TD4-SX. The description form the seller described them a s "gently used", but in the picture one of the toms was missing. When I asked him about this the answer was the mesh head has broken so he pulled it of the kit. He bought the kit new 4 years ago, since then all the heads have been changed at least once...

So my queston to the forum is how normal is it to break mesh heads?

What should I be looking for when buying a "gently used" kit?

Before I meet up with this guy I'm making a run through the local Guitar center to learn a little more about Vdrums. From what reading I have done I gather that mesh heads are preferred to rubber?
Working...
X