Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Drummer's Stairway to Heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Drummer's Stairway to Heaven

If there's one song almost every budding young guitarist wants to play one day, it's Stairway to Heaven. It seems to be the quintessential guitar song, the holy grail of the 6 stringed instrument.

I've been thinking recently...what is the drummer's equivalent? Is there even an equivalent? It doesn't seem to me like there's THE song out there that almost all young drummers want to learn how to play. All depends on drumming style too of course, but I imagine that most of us either wouldn't have a specific song in mind, or would all choose something different if we were asked.

So...as a drummer...what is your Stairway to Heaven?

For me it would be "Here's a man" by Spock's Beard. I love the mix of jazz and rock in the drumming. It's very complex and difficult to play.

Comment

• BWaj
      BWaj commented
      Editing a comment
      Great band, I like them too. And what a cool name, lol.

'We Will Rock You' by Queen

(...or 'Life is Live' by Opus, in various parts in- and around Germany....)

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

For each drummer it will depend on age I suspect, but for me and the era I started it would be a list of stuff that included Hendrix's "Fire" and the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again". I'd include I. Ron Butterfly's "Inna Gadda Da Vida" except I'm performing that with a band I'm currently in.

Lyle
      and the jukebox plays..... !! (the Nails - Home of the Brave )

E-set : TDW-20, 2 up & 2 down, VH-12, 6 cymbals (5 CY14, 1 CY15), 2 Pintech Dingbats all on a Gibraltar rack, thru a Simmons DA200S
      VExpressions Gigging Kits & Top 50 Drummers #1

A-set : 1968 Ludwig Hollywood in Burgundy Sparkle

Comment

Rosanna by Toto for me. I can do the shuffle and I get the groove, but it's hard to do both together!

Comment

What Kenny said! Thats where I'm aiming. Other things on the playlist include Freewill, Ants Marching, Africa & Pieces of April. Go big or go home!
          TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

Oh, and She Drives Me Crazy, by Fine Young Cannibals, too .
            TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

"Tom Sawyer" - Rush or "In the Air Tonight" - Phil Collins

Comment

• Intruder
                Intruder commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree, Both are in my mind!

And how could I possibly forget "meadows" by Joe Walsh!

Comment

Originally posted by jonm42 View Post
                And how could I possibly forget "meadows" by Joe Walsh!
                Cool song, a fav' from the Smoker album. Walsh stuff is fun to play. A band I'm in is playing an old James Gang (with Walsh) song, "Tend My Garden" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqeErugWXZ4 . And FYC stuff is quite cool too
                and the jukebox plays..... !! (the Nails - Home of the Brave )

E-set : TDW-20, 2 up & 2 down, VH-12, 6 cymbals (5 CY14, 1 CY15), 2 Pintech Dingbats all on a Gibraltar rack, thru a Simmons DA200S
                VExpressions Gigging Kits & Top 50 Drummers #1

A-set : 1968 Ludwig Hollywood in Burgundy Sparkle

Comment

When I was young, it was Ginger Baker Toad. Now I like White Room, Fire, and the Stones, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, among other things. The various shuffles mentioned above are also fun.
                  Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

One that springs to mind for me is on the other side of the same LP: 'When the Levee Breaks.' It's one of the most sampled tracks of all time along with Stubblefield's 'Funky drummer' (all 5 seconds of it).

Comment

Led Zeppelin / Rock and Roll
                      TD9 - V.2.0, PD-125,PDX-8(TOM2), (3x)PD-8, VH-11, (2x) CY-8, CY-15R, KD-8, Yamaha DXR 15, Sennheiser HD 598

Comment

For me I guess it would have to be RUSH - Subdivisions or Spirit of Radio. It's funny, my new band has already decided and begun working on Subdivisions as a "one off" at gigs since it's not in our current "Rock Songs You Can Dance To" format.
                        K ;-)
                        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

• BWaj
                          BWaj commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We do Subdivisions too, very cool song. You figure out that grove with up beats on the ride bell and 16th's on the hat? Man, that was almost enough to make me quit the song, lol.

• Kenster
                          Kenster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Figuring out parts is always fun but it wasn't so much fun trying to find the wav file of the word "subdivisions" from the actual song. It's like no one has it on the web so I extracted the two variations of it from the song myself. Now we can trigger them via keyboard or my SPD-s so we can have a clip from the actual song when we play it.

For me it's about anything from Dream Theater. I can't play any of it, but sure is fun trying, lol!
                        TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

• Greg The Groove
                          Greg The Groove commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Man I'd love to play anything by. Dream Theater. Unfortunately I don't play double bass that well, never have so that pretty much puts me out of contention. LOL

• BWaj
                          BWaj commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Agreed, those guys are some great musicians! The hardest part for me is getting through it all clean without tripping up somewhere.Actually, the hardest part is figuring out what he's doing first, lol. My double bass skills are really rusty these days so I agree with you on that. My left foot actually seems to look up at me and say, dude, I'm not doing that!

• Kenster
                          Kenster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh Dream Theater is my next Stairway stuff....and I can play most of it so it is really really fun!!! Now the newer Mangini stuff...not so much lol. K ;-)
                      Working...
                      X