Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nervously Waiting for Quarantine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervously Waiting for Quarantine

I was just wondering if anyone in Australia has imported drums and had them quarantined? If you have, what's the process?

My new toys are stuck in quarantine I'm really hoping I have no problems!
    Kaiju
    Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

If there's no wood (or other organic material involved) you should be fine. If there IS wood involved, what are you waiting for, and did the sender enclose a certificate of origin?

Comment

They are wood, but I'm certain that sender will have shipped them properly with all the right paperwork.
      Kaiju
      Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

I don't want to alarm you, but our next door neighbour had to pay $250 to get a $10 Ikea basket treated at customs when his container arrived.
        The good news, however, is that I have received a few wooden drums by post and international courier and never had an incident.
        Last edited by allanjohn; 02-10-14, 12:35 AM.
        . digitalDrummer
        Review index

Comment

Yeah, we had to pay $40 to have a $10 Christmas bauble (glass, not wood) just inspected, so I am dreading hearing back from them.
          Kaiju

Comment

Have you received a customs notification?
            . digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

I have just received my invoice. They sent me quite a hefty bill! But they have been released at least, and should arrive by Wednesday.

Customs fee = bad.
              New drums = good!

I just need to remember that in the future. It didn't even cross my mind before. I'm sure I'll forget all about it when they arrive.
              Kaiju

Comment

As a warning to others, are you prepared to tell us how much?
                . digitalDrummer
                Review index

Comment

Sure. I bought a set of Diamond Drums (so not just from a person selling their kit second hand who didn't fill out the paperwork properly). They charged me GST which I didn't think about, I've never been charged GST on anything I've ordered from overseas before, a fee to inspect them, and then a quarantine fee, it came to just under $500. It could have been worse I guess.
                  Kaiju

Comment

You will get charged GST on any imported purchase over AUD1000 (inc shipping).
                    . digitalDrummer
                    Review index

Comment

I didn't realise they included the shipping cost in GST. That's good to know. Although that doesn't sound quite right because I had to give them a separate value for shipping and for the drums themselves. I don't think I was charged GST on the shipping. Or it was calculated incorrectly.

I wonder what happens in the case of an exchange rate drop/rise? I did get caught out with that anyway, suddenly the Australian dollar was lower again, but if you had actually paid less than what it converted to when they charged you GST then you'd paying more than your 10% and that must not be legal.

They also asked is it was for personal use only, do they charge more if it's for commercial use?
                      Kaiju

Comment

You need an import licence for commercial purposes.
                        . digitalDrummer
                        Review index

Comment

Man, they sure take the money off you, while they can, eh?
                          Maybe you could get around fancy customs-taxes, if you buy each kit piece seperately...?!
                          Greetings from Switzerland,
                          - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Welcome to Australia I guess!!!
                            K ;-)
                            My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                            E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                            A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                            A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                              Maybe you could get around fancy customs-taxes, if you buy each kit piece seperately...?!
                              Ha ha. No. I'd get around the taxes, but then they'd charge me the $55 "inspection" fee and the $140 "quarantine" fee, and the $10 "security" fee for each piece. $55 for looking at a package's description and saying "it has wood, put it in quarantine"?

I love Australia (except for our government, just making sure nobody thinks I support the stupid things they're doing), but shipping, buying and bringing in almost anything I want is crazy expensive, and so are our retail stores.
                              Kaiju

Comment

Working...
                              X