Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temporary Mojo loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Mojo loss

So last night, I went to the kit to do my daily practice. For the first time since getting back to drums, my hands and feet just did not work well. My timing was off. I was hitting the wrong things are the wrong time. It was frustrating the hell outta me. I kept going at it for about a 1/2 hour, but it didn't get much better.

So my question is, do I get up and walk away for a brief time or day, or do I double down and work twice as hard and long at it?

Gawd forbid it happens at a gig.

Sounds like some cross Mojination going on. Are there any other symptoms going on? bad day? Tired? Stressed? Not enough sleep or ANYTHING? Let it go and get back to it later.

At least you don't have Bee Gees disease. Start at 16:00 into movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GYBg0m4K4M
    K
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Oh geez... Don't stress out. You had one night where you felt off. Its okay. You are human. You are supposed to have off days.
      I think my work is done here.

Comment

Bee Gee's disease

Ya No.

I don't think I was tired and definitely not stressed... except really trying to nail the drum patterns correctly.

I wasn't a Monty Python idiot,but I sure wasn't hitting my marks

It was just weird. The opposite has happened too though. I've had some practices that just felt spot on.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Double-down, working twice as hard is not per se a good thing - It depends on if you feel concentrated enough to do so, but even then, there is a better way:

What your muscle-memory and brain likes, is steady repetition and rest, to let it all settle in, and to take it slowly.

If you can squeeze it in your day-plan, start with a 20-minute practice, but twice a day!
          One in the morning, and one in the evening, when you come home from work, for example.

If you can manage to do your 20-mins *three times* a day, even better!
          Take it slow, repeat often, and focus on correct timing and movement, not speed!

Mojo isn't lost, it just took a nap...

HTH
          Greetings from Switzerland,
          - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Happens to me as well, from time to time. This sentiment when you feel off, your internal timing is just off enough to bother you.

If it is during practice, I just walk away as I know I won't do anything productive in that state. Take a break, whether a couple of hours, or a day or 2... I've come right back and felt amazingly spot on. Biorythms? I don't know...

If it is during a show, try to lock on a band player you have the best affinity. It just takes a look to see if a partner is not feeling it. Get visual clues from that player and work it out together until you start feeling more comfortable. It may take a few songs. Depending how "off" you feel.
            DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Working...
            X