Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland support

Well, I just had to make two phone calls this morning. One to Emu and one to Roland. Emu was very helpful and treated me like a prince offering to go way out of their way to see that I have what I need. The guy at Roland had such a condescending attitude that I don't think I will ever consider Roland equipment again. My question to Roland was, what is the bitrate of the DAC's and what are the output clock rates of the TD10 and TD8 respectively beacuse I want the sound quality to match with my E4XT. I was treated like some bozo even though I've been a professional musician for over 30 years. They just gave me some story about how no one at Roland US knows the answer to that question. The only thing I was told was, well the pros all use the TD10. Are they kidding????????????
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

I called Roland once about trigger problems with my PD-120 and the guy was very nice and helpful even though I put him on hold a couple of times.

Comment

I sold my pink champagne. The Roland gear shrinks as we speak.
      Last edited by skeelsd; 02-13-03, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I'll probably keep the PM-3. Best piece of the whole lot.

Comment

what are the output clock rates of the TD10 and TD8 respectively beacuse I want the sound quality to match with my E4XT.
          The TD-10 and TD-8 have analog audio outputs. I didn't think clock rates applied to analog outputs (do they?). As far as sound quality matching from one piece of gear to another....isn't that a subjective question? Are you saying you won't use a unit because its bitrate doesn't match something else, even though it might sound OK? Just curious.
          Quazi

Comment

The output clock rate refers to the internal clock that synthesizers have that aligns the sample partials at a certain speed, ie:44.1 khz or 44,100 samples per second, or whatever the amount may be per second. And it applies to anologue outs and digital outs. This is known as clock rate. I've heard alot of people say that the TD8 TD10 sound identical, this would be a quick way of seeing if thats posssible. Also, the DAC's would have to be above 16 bit, because you can't have DAC's that have a lower resolution than the samples. I would guess 20 bit, but then I don't know, the reason for the call. I'm going to record some tracks with my sampler and was thinking about buying a Vdrum module to offload the burden of the drumtacks which take up alot of room on the sampler. I'm going to use the digital output of the E4, if the sound quality of the Vdrum stuff won't hold up next to the E4, then I won't bother and just do the drums on the sampler. I was really insulted by the attitude at Roland.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

The problem is there's no way I can listen to them
              {TD8/10}side by side because the two music stores in my area don't carry them. DAC's in the early days of 16 bit were 16 bit, but the problem was you ended up with 14 bit resolution with signal loss that is inheirent in analogue audio chains. Alesis was the first company to offer 18 bit DAC's on the D4 drum module and that was in 1991. Since then DAC resolution has been as high as 24 bit, XV5080, which gives a very clear sound. If the clock rate is below 44.1khz, the frequency range will be below 20-20khz, high frequency instruments like cymbals and tambourines will sound dull. It would be much better to just listen to it, but it's just not possible in my case.
              Last edited by jrcel; 02-14-03, 02:44 PM.

Comment

You're right Feef, I did think it was odd on the new products tape in 200? when the first thing they said about the XV5080 was that it has 44.1khz outputs and 20-20khz frequency repsonse. I really wish they would include this info on all their products so you can make an informed decision. I think it's part of that same old "Drummers don't get it" mentality at Roland. Something that is happily missing at Emu and Alternate Mode.
                Last edited by jrcel; 02-14-03, 05:31 PM.

Comment

While we're on the topc

Does anyone know the Difference in sound quality of the TD-8 vs the TD-6 ? Is there a "sample rate" or "bit rate" difference ? Is it something you can actually hear ?

If the TD-8 isn't much different than the TD-10, then why would anyone get it ?

I hear more out channels, more in pads. But all that for $1k more ?

Also, does the TD-8 fit on the TD-6 (v-club supplied) bracket ?
                  TD-6, TD-8, CC101,102, Zenbals, Yamaha DD50, '72 Gremlin, mirror crystal.

Comment

Working...
                  X