Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious Question

This has been bothering me for a little while. Where does Roland get their sounds? Or for that matter Yamaha. I guess Yamaha is a little easier to explain (they make lots of good acoustic drums), but what about their cymbal sounds? Did they just go out and buy some Zildjians and sample those? DDrum at least says it gets them from specific drummer's kits (with the "se" signature edition I think it is), but I havn't seen in my casual browsing anything from Roland or Yamaha about where they got their sounds.

I guess it isn't really all that important, but I sure am curious.
    That Dan Guy

They come into your home and sample you while you sleep....

Comment

I sampled last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackmastersiii
        I sampled last night.
        Me too, twice.

Now hair will grow on my drumsticks.

Comment

Re: Curious Question

Originally posted by danielrg
          I guess it isn't really all that important, but I sure am curious.
          I think it's very important! I don't use a sampler myself, but if I did I wouldn't buy a sample set without first knowing the sources, miking, processing, bit rate, etc. I wouldn't care so much about all this but the fact that it's listed gives credibility to the vendor. If they really took the effort to do a good job sampling, then they ought to show us how they did it.
          Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude
            Attention V-drummers: You are using samples, lame ones. You have a (now vintage) crappy sample player that does not allow for recording or editing. It is the musical equivalent of an Atari ST computer.
            I agree. My TD-8 will become merely a MIDI interface for the pads. Computer system, here I come!!!!

Comment

expensive toy

Comment

Originally posted by skeelsd
                expensive toy
                Whoa! Skeelsd, based on your list of equipment, when YOU say expensive toy, I'm listening!
                Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Mr. Jude:

Sorry, couldn't let it go. IMO your first comments were appropriate. No need for revision.

Comment

"Sucker" is an appropriate moniker in my case (only).
                    Last edited by skeelsd; 01-15-03, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X