Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the TDW-1 worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the TDW-1 worth it?

Hello all,

I own the Roland V drum "Pro" kit and want to know if upgrading the TD-10 brain with the TDW-1 card is worth the $289.00.

What are some of the features that might help me decide if I should upgrade. I am told theat the cymbals will have a much better response, but I own the old PD7 cymbals. Will they work with these cymbals?

I basically use my kit for our church and end up using the Rock settingabout 90% of the time just tweaking the ride cymbal, bell, etc.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
    Bob,
    Clinton, CT
    Roland V Drum Sessions Kit TD-20
    Roland TDA 700 Amp
    Roland PM3 Monitor
    Tama "Iron Cobra" Double Kick Pedal
    Vic Firth Sticks--"Dave Weckl" Model

http://www.skycamphotos.com

i personally think it made a huge difference to my ears.and that was on pd-9's.the sounds are just so much better to me.especially the hats.
    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

try here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1947011944

good luck man.
      -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Re: Is the TDW-1 worth it?

Originally posted by mick7
        Hello all,

I own the Roland V drum "Pro" kit and want to know if upgrading the TD-10 brain with the TDW-1 card is worth the $289.00.

What are some of the features that might help me decide if I should upgrade. I am told theat the cymbals will have a much better response, but I own the old PD7 cymbals. Will they work with these cymbals?

I basically use my kit for our church and end up using the Rock settingabout 90% of the time just tweaking the ride cymbal, bell, etc.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
        Bob,
        Clinton, CT
        1) Start using the capabilities of your module.
        2) Get the upgrade.
        3) The new cymbal sounds definitely are an improvement. The PD-7 (you should also have PD-9's with the V-Pro) are dual trigger pads and will allow you to realize the full potential of the new sounds.
        4) Within 3 searches, I got down to $249 with free shipping (music123.com). Try bpmmusic.com. They are very competitive - call or e-mail them. $290 is way too much to pay.

That e-bay bid is getting close to the new price. When it's that close, I opt for new, but if you wait there might be a good deal out there. Just make sure you know the real value of what you are bidding on. As I write this, the bid is up to $227.50 (need to add shipping) for a $249 item. This isn't much of a deal when you add in the risk of buying from a stranger.

More than you may want to know follows:

NEW FEATURES:
        • "Fader Mode" function - Allows separate volume levels of the toms and cymbals.
        • Global settings for the direct outputs.
        • Pitch bend is now possible with the Hi-Hat control pedal.
        • Pedal Hi-Hat sound has a separate volume adjustment.
        • New improved onboard compressor function.
        • Faster sound selection using the new Instrument group function.
        • Trigger chase "lock very helpful when editing.
        • New "Short Cut" functions.
        • Positional Detection is now possible for all trigger inputs.
        • Head adjustment indicator for the pads in addition to snare.
        • Bulk dump function for individual drum kits.
        • "Pad Pattern" function now responds to velocity.
        • 4 new click/metronome sounds (20 sounds in all).
        • Addition of rim click capability on the snare.
        • Improved cymbals, addition of closed hi-hat and hi-hat edges sounds, improved toms, etc.
        • Addition of 54 new kits (you still have access to the old kits).

NOTE:
        When performing upgrade, ALL DATA in the TD-10 will be lost. Save your CURRENT data to the Memory Card (M-512E), or to an external MIDI sequencer (BULK DUMP) BEFORE making the upgrade. This data can be loaded back into the expanded TD-10 AFTER executing the upgrade procedure. You can load this data of your non-expanded TD-10 to the new expanded TD-10 after executing the upgrade procedure.

Data from an upgraded/expanded TD-10 can NOT be used by a non-expanded TD-10.

The expanded TD-10 will not work if you remove the TDW-1 after performing the upgrade.

I don't know how good these replacement options are, but this is from a website I saw...

1. Regular Service: Call Roland Customer Service for a service R/A number. The unit will be updated by Roland's service department and shipped back to you within 48 working hours of receipt. The TD-10 will not work while the TDW-1 is not installed. You must pay the shipping. Roland will cover the shipping back to you. The RT# and "RUSH - TDW-1 REPAIR" should be written clearly on the exterior of the package near the label to ensure prompt service. It is recommended that the shipment be insured.

2. Rush Service: Call Roland Customer Service for a service R/A number. For a $10.00 charge, Roland will update the unit within 24 hours of receipt, and return it via UPS next day air. The $10.00 rush shipment charge must be paid by credit card. You are responsible for the freight to Roland. The $10.00 will cover the return shipment. The RT# and "RUSH - TDW-1 REPAIR" should be written clearly on the exterior of the package near the label to ensure prompt service. It is recommended that the shipment be insured.

3. Advanced Replacement Service: If you are unable to be without a working TD-10, Roland can replace the TDW-1 ahead of time. You must call Roland Customer Service and ask for the "Advanced Replacement Service" on your TDW-1. Roland will charge your card the price of a new TDW-1 w/Cymbal Control. At the same time, you will be given a return authorization for the old unit, reference will also be made to Roland's advance replacement order number. Roland will credit you the full amount upon receipt of the old TDW-1. The RT# and "RUSH - TDW-1 REPAIR" should be written clearly on the exterior of the package near the label to ensure prompt service. It is recommended that the shipment be insured.

Roland Customer Service number: (323) 890-3700 ext. 2289
        Last edited by Boingo; 12-28-02, 10:21 AM.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Re: Re: Is the TDW-1 worth it?

Originally posted by Boingo

4) Within 3 searches, I got down to $249 with free shipping (music123.com). Try bpmmusic.com. They are very competitive - call or e-mail them. $290 is way too much to pay.

That e-bay bid is getting close to the new price.
          Don't look now, it has surpassed the new price (and the buyer still needs to pay shipping). Maybe this is one of those rare, hard to find TDW-1s with a software fix for the CY-15R bell.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
          | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Working...
          X