Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new drum hero AND best CD I've bought in over 10 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new drum hero AND best CD I've bought in over 10 years!

The band is called Porcupine Tree, and the drummer is relatively new to the group, Gavin Harrison.

Wow

Gavin's drumming is spectacular! Hyperkinetic and tasty at the same time? Can do! Maybe the best drums production (sound) I've heard? Yup! He does it all, everything fits the music beautifully. Great double bass licks, amazing stickwork on the hi-hat, masterful use of ghost notes on the snare. Oy!

The CD is called Porcupine Tree: In Absentia. The band has been around since 1987 in some form, and Rolling Stone called them "The best band you've never heard of." It's so true! A perfect blend of progressive rock, avant-garde/psychedelia, industrial, acoustic...hard to categorize. You just have to hear it! Hell, there's even Mellotron on some of the tracks, then on others they tear through like vintage Nine Inch Nails or Tool. Superb, genius stuff... it's the type of music I'D love to make if I had the skills.

The CD is only $10.00 just about everywhere.....guys, I'm tellin' ya, it's really really great music. I just wanted to share some great music with you all; a bright hope in the current wasteland of rock

PS Yes, I'm gushing....but the four friends I've played this for so far have ALL bought their own copies within a day of hearing mine!
    Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

I had the pleasure of sitting right in front of his drum kit last month at a show. He played great parts with fluid motion and made it look easy!

They are a good band. The newest album is their best ( a little harder sounding than the rest).

I found them to be emotionless though. Kind of boring, but talented.

Go to their web site and download some samples. You might like 'em!
    -Purple V-Concert Set
    -Expanded TD-10.
    -Roland SPD-S
    -Roland Personal Monitor-3

Comment

I'm still around...more reading and lurking than posting lately.

Still playing, though....most days of the week I at least sit and bang around on the Clubs while my wife's sitting right next to me (comp's right beside the drums) trying to read her online stories

Can't say I agree with the comment of PT being emotionless....but to each his own! I think they're 'warmer' than Dream Theater, IMO.

Comment

Cool link, Albator...thank you!

He looks so little in that BIG studio!

Comment

I know Bill Bruford is a big fan of Gavin Harrison's. In fact, he did a couple of columns in Modern Drummer that dealt with some of his metric modulation exercises.....
          TD-30 / SPD-SX /Alesis Strike Multipad

Comment

The drummer is amazing!

I'm not big on the music though, too slick and overproduced for my tastes. They sound like a neutered "Perfect Circle".

...but what the hell do I know
            Jazz nerd with old school Gretch kit and dirty Zildjian K's all around. Hart Pro 5.3 kit with TD-8 in my apartment for practicing without disturbing my annoying neighbors.

Comment

This is old news, where have you been. Whats his face has even been interviewed in mod drummer.

Comment

I'm sorry...I've been curled up in a ball in a dark corner of a musical bomb shelter; taking cover from all the mediocre, retreaded, recycled crap that's passing for rock music these days....so it took awhile for news of this incredible band (and drummer) to reach me.

Comment

Re: My new drum hero AND best CD I've bought in over 10 years!

Originally posted by Dan the Speakerman

The CD is called Porcupine Tree: In Absentia. The band has been around since 1987 in some form, and Rolling Stone called them "The best band you've never heard of." It's so true!
                  Based on your review, Dan, I have checked these guys out. Downloaded a couple of older tracks: shesmovedon and Even Less. (Sorry, c.jude). Upon hearing those, I *immediately* dropped everything, went down to my record shop and bought In Absentia.

To be honest, I think I like the older tracks better so far, but I have only given In Absentia a few listens. The new drummer is incredibly sharp though. And the production: GREAT SOUND! I can't believe that Paul Northfield has his name on this *and* the gawdawful-sounding Vapor Trails. Northfield must have been brought onto VT when it was already ruined beyond repair.

Cheers,
                  Darren

Comment

Oh my God! I didn't make the Northfield connection! Man, the production between Vapor Trails and In Absentia is night and day!

Glad you're diggin on PT, though Darren! I'll have to get to their older material soon myself!

Comment

Gavin's' books have been around for a while, I took a look at them and they look pretty intense. I noticed he has a DVD out - anybody had a chance to see it??

Mike
                      ATV aDrums, Pearl Mimic Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X