Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cymbal Won'T Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cymbal Won'T Work

Just got DTExpress II...have the dual zone cymbal plugged into jack outlet "6 RIDE" (cymbal is PYC65S)..I CAN'T get ANY sound from this cymbal...if I pull out the jack going into the #6 outlet (using a stereo jac) I get the "ping" sound of a ride, even though I am not hitting the cymbal pad, I have adjusted the output sensitivity screw on cymbal pad AND tried plugging it into the "Crash" outlet...NOTHING works!! Do I have a bad cymbal pad AND/OR a bad outlet on the drum trigger??!!...I am totally frustrated!! When I hit this pad...the trigger does not acknowledge it...like it doesn't exist!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Have you checked the cable?
    My website...
    VCustom kit,
    TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
    HDI Cymbals.
    A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Yes, I checked the cable, and even CHANGED the cable with another stereo cable, still won't work. Could it be channel 6 in the trigger that is bad? How can I tell if it's the trigger outlet or the cymbal?

Comment

Think I found the problem...The jack outlet in the cymbal pad is messed up! When I pull the stereo jack almost all the way out of the jack receptical on the pad, I get the "crash" cymbal sound. When it is plugged in all the way, as it should be, it will not produce a sound...totally DEAD! Can this be fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by TeddyBoo7
          ...When I pull the stereo jack almost all the way out of the jack receptical on the pad, I get the "crash" cymbal sound...
          That part is actually typical. I think you may find similar activity from other pads. A tom, for example, may do a loud tom hit as you extract/insert the plug.

As for the deadness of the pad: I suspect either a bad solder joint at the piezo or a bad piezo. It IS repairable - and probably even by you - but if it is under warrenty I'd suggest conatcting your retailer for a replacement.
          My website...
          VCustom kit,
          TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
          HDI Cymbals.

Comment

I called Yamaha, and they are shipping me another cymbal pad. Just out of interest....how can this be fixed?

Comment

I've never opened up a Yamaha pad, but I have looked inside a Roland PD7 (rubber pad). Inside there is a metal plate with the piezo attached to it. Attached to the piezo should be two wires. If one of the solder points has come loose (which I think would fit what you are describing) then it is just a matter of soldering it back into place. I don't think it is too far-fetched to assume that the Yamaha pads are similar in this respect.
              My website...
              VCustom kit,
              TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
              HDI Cymbals.

Comment

Open pad, check connections, solder as required. No, I'm not trying to smart off. There just isn't much to these pads. I have never heard of the FSR tape being bad. I have heard of some piezo replacements.

I have a PD-9 I just took home to fix the rim. It sounds off when I plug the cord in and then I get nothing. The pad area works fine. I should have it working or declared legally dead in a couple days - possibly tonight.
                Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Thanks guys! Will check it out. I have ALOTTA learning to do on these drums. I come from the acoustic background. This will be like when I first got my computer...now I am technically literate on my computer...will have to be the same with edrums. I am sure I will be posting here alot to get advice.

Comment

Well the surgery was a success. The rim works just fine. The ribbon connecting to the small circuit board delaminated for about one inch. I taped it together and it should hold it. If the tape is inadequate over time, I have a broken pad which I can swap out the ribbon and board.

It's easy to suspect the female portion of the 1/4" connector, but, unless you are really putting a strain on the cord, the most that goes wrong with them is they need a cleaning.
                    Attached Files
                    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                    X