Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zendrums users unite!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zendrums users unite!!

Never leave a father at home alone during the day with eBay right after he sent his first born daughter off to college. After writing too many checks just to get her started, I decided to treat myself, and bought a 4 month old Zendrum off of eBay a couple of weeks back. Yeah I paid top doller, sligthly less than brand new, but what the hey.

Anyway - now that the wife and I are talking again I've had a chance to really explore this baby. I interface with my TD-10exp module, and play it basically as a trap set.

The first night I had it, I took it to band practice, and got very frustrated, but still managed to keep up - somewhat. Well I was about ready to sell it and lick my wounds, but then decided that I would at least give it 30 days of serios effort.

Step 1 - read the manual, all of the manuals - TD-10, TDW-1, Zendrum. Over and over again. My brain hurts from reading Chapter 10 - MIDI and your TD-10. But it all started to fall into place - technically at least.

Step 2 - Accept my brain's programming for what it is - set in it's way!! My right hand is the 1 and 3 count, and my left hand is the 2 and 4 count. That was a major break through for me.

Step 3 - Start to reassign the pads to my way of playing. This is still an ongoing project, but I have decided to leave the LEFT EDGE 5 as assigned (Bass, Snare, HH, Open HH, Snare). I use the 1st big pad on the face next to the RIGHT FACE 4 for bass, and have reassigned my ride and HH to the closest pads (alternate between setups for different songs). This way I can achieve 8th notes on the Ride or HH and alternate a bass pattern with my other fingers.

Step 4 - PRACTICE and EXPERIMENT. I am playing along with all of my favorite CD's and using mostly blues music to get used to playing the Zendrum. Ohhh.... when the groove hits it just feels so good. Still getting up to speed, but the learning curve has been remarkable short. I have accepted the fact that I can't do everything I used to do on my VPro setup, but then I am doing some amazing things I could never do before (some killer double bass patterns with just 2 fingers ).

Step 5: Play it live - force myself to actually perform. So I have played the Zendrum in the church praise band for the last couple of weeks, and intend to play it that way every week. The first week the music director had a rocking song picked out which required several bars of just drums in the background. I'm pleased to say it was great to walk out in front of the singers and do some awesome solo work. Too cool!!

Step 6: Figure out MIDI mapping and the cross-fade feature. I've experimented a bit with the cross fade, trying to set up a ride or HH with a bass activated as the 2nd or 3rd note. I haven't been able to get consistent results, so for now, I'm teaching my fingers to act independtly of each other and re-assign my pads to accomodate the ride or HH needs. As far as MIDI mapping the TD-10, I think I know how to do it, but it seems like a lot of work for how I plan on using the Zendrum. Instead I found on page 25 of the TDW-1 manual, the MIDI Percussion Group map. For all those who wondered why the Kick and Toms would have a RIM trigger, well the mystery has been solved. I can assign any sound I want to the RIM triggers and use it via the Zendrum. This way my drum sets still work when I use the VPro set-up and will also work for when I use the Zendrum.

Well this has been a long post, and thank you for indulging me. Fellow Zendrummers lets unite and post your thought, joys and experiances with the Zendrum. Heck, we may ask the moderators to create a seperate catagory just for Zendrums.

More to follow..................
    Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Zendrumming

I've had my pearl white (to match the V's) Zendrum for almost 2 years and I admit that I don't use it as much as I should. I never altered the pad map, but I know there's much more to this instrument than I'll ever be able to take advantage of. For now, it interfaces perfectly with my TD-8 and like you said, the learning curve is remarkably short. I used to do a duo midi gig with a guitarist who plays a white Erlwine Lazer guitar, so the Zendrum really turned some heads. If you're a singing drummer, it's perfect!

Comment

Hi Tom,
      Great post!
      For the ones that haven't played the Zendrum yet, Tom just described the main aspects on getting used to it. You have to change your mind and accept you can't do everything, as he said. This is something that also took me time and frustration before I finally accepted. Also, practice, practice and practice. It's not the same to hold sticks that to start playing with open fingers moving independently. In the beginning it hurts!

Pad mapping, the key to the Zendrum. I followed Michael Conway's suggestion and reversed the Toms (pads at the botton) now they are from right to left. As you I left the left side as it is as well as the kick, big pad at the right. I assigned ride bell and ride to the small pads at the right. I'll better post my mapping with a picture.

Thanks for your post!
      Pierre.

Comment

If anyone is interested, here are the dates for the Flecktones upcoming tour. The drummer, Futureman, plays a zendrum on stage. I will be going to the Orlando show on Feb 12. I've seen them before and have several shows in my collection, and IMHO they will blow your mind.

cpgrossman, for one, is just dying to see the Flecktones.
        Last edited by ufotofu; 11-05-02, 08:03 AM.
        Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

I've seen Bela and the Flecktones a couple of times. I absolutely recommend you see/hear these guys! Unbelievable!

Comment

Zendrum

Tom,
            I have been using the Zendrum for over 4 or 5 years now. before that was the Dynacord Rhythym Stick, Synthaxe, etc. I am now Midi wireless as well. I am a drummer/percussionist and play all the accoustic counter parts but I now use the Zendrum along with the Roland Handsonic exclusively. My set up on the Zendrum is Left hand-from left to right is kick, snare, pedal hi-hat or reg hihat depending on the settng, cross stick or high tom, 2nd tom,/Right hand on top is open hi-hat, closed hihat, kick again, crash 1, crash 2, /top back is ride, kick again, snare, shaker, cabassa. On the bottom is snare again, with the main snare above in the middle on the big disc, then on the bottom is tom 3, floor tom, ride bell, splash, tamobrine, bell tree, and chimes. As you can see I have 2 main playing zones. At the front you have the hi hat/snare thing going on using the open and closed hihat next to ech other, at the back you have the ride/snare going on using the ride with the bell below it as you do with the hihats,at the bottom you have your tom fills with the thumb on the middle bass drum which I also use that bass drum for the 2 crashes which are next to it. You can play anything on Zendrum tht you can on drums as well as play percussion at the same time which I do. I have a ball being totally wireless. I can put in my in ear monitors and my headset mike and play from anywhere in the audience and still be locked in with the band. I use 2 Barbetta biamped amps on stage so the band feels the sound as they are used to with acoustic drums and run 2 lines in stereo to the main system. The sound man usually puts some in the monitors as well to get a good overall sound everywhere. So much for now. Try out my set up and see what you think. Ask away!

Comment

Midi wireless?

Rico,
              What midi wireless system do you use?

Comment

Wireless unit

Aquila and it is flawless!

Comment

Midi wireless

When did you get the Aquila? It's my understanding that it's been discontinued for some time, at least 2 years.

Comment

It has been about 2 years. I have the new design with two cell phone antenaes on it. Here is the last number I have on Wayne 800-386-4554.

Comment

Hi Pierre,
                      sorry been away a while.
                      The thread with Pierres diagram is here. Not at work computer so cannot save it.
                      Link to thread is below hopefully

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=zendrum

Well orderd my KC-500 looks like I'll be going with a Roland XV-2020 after talking to Mike Snyder and Steve Fischer (Roland clinicians) at PASIC in November. More than likely with the Dynamic Drums and Latin boards added.

What a compact setup that'll be.

David Haney who is one of the two guys at Zendrum uses a stacked DM-PRo and a DM5 with his for his soul band so anything is possible.

If you would like to have my setup , I can email it to you, everyone is different though, the revelation for me was putting the toms on the bottom in reverse, David was intrigued, he hadn't thought of that and he's been playing them for like 8 odd years or so!!

Snare drum next to Tom1,then bassdrum , then Ride Bell.

Have fun Zendrumming.
                      A combo of Handsonic and zendrum would be ideal for me though there are built in sounds (downloadable) coming soon as an upgrade, a laptop (stealth bomber crossed with an ergonomic keyboard shape version).

Builtin sounds and rechargable battery = audio wireless mode - how cool would that be :-)

Cheers
                      Mick
                      www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

Well back at work, here is the mapping diagram, thanks Pierre:-)

Cheers
                        Mick
                        Attached Files
                        www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

My Primary Mapping is Complete!!

Sorry all for the delay in relating my Zendrumming adventures. Having surveived the initial shock of not having the money to pay for the purchase (yes the wife and I are talking again - but she did get a new Laptop), and my frustration with learning how to play this as a trap set - I am now prepared to share my Zendrum mapping. For the sake of unity, I am using the same pad numbering Mustang Mike shared with us earlier. Please refer to the attached pic file.

Well after a couple months of using my Zendrum, experimenting into the late hours of the night, and having numerous ups and downs while playing live, I have finally settled into my Primary Mapping for my Zendrum. I play most of the time standing up.

The left hand works the '1 - 5' pads with occasional extension to the '6 & 7' pads. The right hand hovers in the middle over pads '19 - 21', and pads '8 - 9' for ride cymbal action. My thumb and middle finger plays the HiHat, and my index finger plays the kick. Simple extensions to pads '10/11' or '14/15' pick up cymbal crashes as desired. The extra snare at pad 22 helps me create more realistic fill patterns, and assigning pad 5 to the Snare Rim lets me pick up cross-stick sounds (tap lightly), as well as avoid the occasional machine gunning on snare fills.

Of special interest is where I finally laid out my Toms. They cut across the middle of the body on pads '18-17-16-6'. I can do eights and triplets pretty well with my right hand and still keep up a snare or bass back beat with my left hand. Having the extra TOM3 on Pad 7 comes in handy for longer Tom fills. Assigning pads '3, 4,19 & 21' to access every HiHat sound possible has allowed me to achieve some great HH expressions simply by extending my pinky fingers as desired. Actually it's a lot of fun when it works.

I opted to create a Perc Group section on pads '12/13 & 23/24', and they are totally awesome. The Congo's and Bongo's work so well with so many songs. Plus it is super easy to reassign sounds on the fly. For example, this last Sunday my Praise Band was doing a Xmas song that begged for Timpanies during the chorus. I went into the TD-10 instrument set-up, assigned Timpani sounds to TOM1 Rim and TOM2 Rim, then assigned MIDI Notes 50 and 47 to the 12 & 13 Zendrum pads. With the help of our music director (since I've tone deaf), I tuned the Timpanies (pitch and decay). When the time came for the Timpanies, I just used two fingers and blew the congragtion away!!

Anyhow, hope this helps you fellow Zendrummers find a unique way to customize your mapping to your playing style. As for me, I'll still be tweaking, but at least I know how to map the Zendrum for my preferances.
                          Attached Files
                          Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

Hi there,
                            just thought I'd show you this.
                            David and Kim at Zendrum are working on a "laptop" version with 25 triggers with built-in sounds at the moment.
                            This can be played in sitting on your lap or mounted on a snare drum stand.

Cheers
                            Mick
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks good, but I wonder what type of internal sounds will they use. It will be great if we could load our own samples...

Pierre.

Comment

Working...
                              X