Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

editing on td-6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• editing on td-6?

Gear: TD8KV. Tama Superstar http://photobucket.com/albums/d62/Danny_Sticks/
    Bands: www.myspace.com/njoyband
    www.myspace.com/station14

Re: editing on td-6?

Originally posted by Danny159753
    Nope.

You can edit pitch, pan and decay of all sounds. You don't get 'v-editing', ie you can't change the head on your Open Kick drum from clear to coated, or change the material of your piccolo snare from steel to brass, as you can with the TD-8. Personally, I think there is a good selection of kicks, snares, etc, on the TD6 and I don't really miss v-editing at all (yet). You also get fewer effects processors than on the TD-8, but I barely know what half that stuff does anyway and apparently the onboard effects of the modules are nothing great.

As mentioned elsewhere, the sounds of the TD6 are identical in selection and quality to the TD-8.

There's no position sensing on the TD-6.

And yes, you can modify all of the kits (their names, what instruments are associated with what pads, relative volumes, what sequences are triggered by pads, the order of the kits, the pad type attached to each input, etc).

Even the lack of a data wheel is not as big of a deal as I thought it would be... there are ways to quickly scroll through long lists of choices.

The only serious drawback of the TD-6 is that I wish a few more of the functions were available as one-touch front panel controls, rather than as menu options. In particular, the lack of front panel faders for various parts of the kit is a major drawback.

Other than that, the TD6 is a great piece of gear.

Darren

Comment

Yeah! What he said!
      Seriously, I tweak my sounds all the time. And the TD-6 is no toy, it just has a simplified design. I've been gigging with mine almost every weekend for about seven months, now, and I haven't had any problems with it that weren't my own fault (like not plugging a cable in all the way, etc...)

Comment

Cable half way in! Been ther, done that!!!
        I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

yeah, i think if you want decent effects then it may be best to get some outboard equipment. the only downer with that is that you have to use the effects on the entire kit as there isn't separate outputs on the td-8 or 6.

I can't find much of effects on the td-8 anyway - ok, you've got all the v-editing and studio types etc. even a bit of ambience and a few other things, but if you want to do some major eq'ing etc. or other effects then you need further gear. I still just wanna try some of the boss pedals on the whole kit, just to see what happens. I'm getting a mixer soon - mainly so i can have one 'control' unit and get people round to jam without having to lift my lazy ass.

I guess the only downer i can see with the td-6 is the fader controls. cos that is pretty useful when you ear begins to hurt from the snare drum!!

Comment

I have both the TD-8 and the TD-6 and the sliders are all I miss. The sounds are great!

Comment

I have a Digitech RP300 guitar effects pedal I should try on my drums. Just turn off all the other effects but the delay or reverb and see what it will do. It will probably sound better than the onboard effects or maybe the sampled sounds that emulate reverb. I have all the onboard effects turned off on my TD-8. I use the kits with the reverb'd drum sounds. I believe there is a standard kit called "Hall".

Comment

but the delay and reverb on the td-8 seem pretty limited - with delay, i don't always want a sound to be continuous, maybe i want it playing repeatedly with gaps, and if you can do that on the td-8, then i've missed it.

There doesn't seem to be many effects at all really.

Outboard must be the answer!!

Comment

yeah, i think if you want decent effects then it may be best to get some outboard equipment. the only downer with that is that you have to use the effects on the entire kit as there isn't separate outputs on the td-8 or 6.
                  Well, you could get an outboard mixer; you can send the outboard effects to the mixers channels and the sound(s) assigned to them without the whole kit getting the selected effect(s).
                  Studio

Comment

I thought with only two outputs (or four actually) on the td-8 i would only be able to use two channels on the mixer (as in stereo), but that would still be the whole kit? I didn't think it would be possible to just effect, say, the snare with outboard as the whole kit is still coming out of those two outputs?

It would be great if you tell me i'm wrong here, because i'll very soon be getting a little mixer anyway!

Comment

I thought with only two outputs (or four actually) on the td-8 i would only be able to use two channels on the mixer (as in stereo), but that would still be the whole kit? I didn't think it would be possible to just effect, say, the snare with outboard as the whole kit is still coming out of those two outputs?
                      Studio

Comment

thanks for that! i can't say i know much about using a mixer at all just yet, so a lot of that was a bit over my head. i'm sure it'll all become clear as soon as i do get the mixer and i do some 'f*cking' about!! that normally seems to get the best results!

Thanks again! i'll be twiddling nobs into the small hours soon i'm sure...

Comment

Working...
                        X